2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Just now, xrade said:

Outside of NE, McDaniels coaching style doesn’t mesh with anyone. He has failed everywhere outside of NE. I understand Carr may be a little too emotionally fragile for McDaniels taste, but I am not so sure McDaniels if doing you guys any favors at the QB spot ATM. 

His system was effective this year despite Carr's struggles. We don't really have a clear upgrade at the moment but it was time to move on from Carr.

Just now, xrade said:

Why?  No one is willing to offer a pick and take on the contract?

We only have 12 more days to work out a deal but we haven't given Carr's camp the ability to negotiate with other teams and he just said that he has zero interest in extending the deadline. I don't think anyone is going to pull the trigger before the 15th because most of the teams that are in on Carr are also in on Rodgers.

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His system was effective this year despite Carr's struggles. We don't really have a clear upgrade at the moment but it was time to move on from Carr.

I think soon the LV fan base will realize how good they’ve had it. I mean there’s ways you can upgrade (imo only Rodgers). But outside of that IMO everyone else that can be had is a downgrade. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We’ve been looking for a QB for decades. What this fan base would do to get Carr like seasons each year. 

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We only have 12 more days to work out a deal but we haven't given Carr's camp the ability to negotiate with other teams and he just said that he has zero interest in extending the deadline. I don't think anyone is going to pull the trigger before the 15th because most of the teams that are in on Carr are also in on Rodgers.

I think there’s talks with Rodgers already. GMs have to be smart enough to not wait and have all their top options gone by the time they make a decision. GMs are in Mobile as we speak (not all of them, but a good amount). You can bet there’s “talks” going on between teams.

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think there’s talks with Rodgers already. GMs have to be smart enough to not wait and have all their top options gone by the time they make a decision. GMs are in Mobile as we speak (not all of them, but a good amount). You can bet there’s “talks” going on between teams.

I'm sure there have been talks about Carr as well but it's like Jimmy G last year, teams know that we have to cut him.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think soon the LV fan base will realize how good they’ve had it. I mean there’s ways you can upgrade (imo only Rodgers). But outside of that IMO everyone else that can be had is a downgrade. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side. We’ve been looking for a QB for decades. What this fan base would do to get Carr like seasons each year. 

Carr is similar to guys like Cousins / Dak in that the numbers look pretty good and he has his moments of playing at a high level so he's overvalued by people that don't really watch him play. But when he's your starter you see how his flaws hold the team back. 

Carr is definitely above average and can be successful in the right situation. But his flaws have become too much to overcome for us and there's a reason he has more losses than any QB in the league since he was drafted.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm sure there have been talks about Carr as well but it's like Jimmy G last year, teams know that we have to cut him.

If you’re a QB starved team like us… if we don’t feel confident in the Rodgers negotiations and price and all. Why not just give up a 3rd or something for Carr to guarantee him (assuming he’s waive his clause for us)? You let him hit FA and miss out on him and then have to sign Brissett instead is a huge downgrade.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

If you’re a QB starved team like us… if we don’t feel confident in the Rodgers negotiations and price and all. Why not just give up a 3rd or something for Carr to guarantee him (assuming he’s waive his clause for us)? You let him hit FA and miss out on him and then have to sign Brissett instead is a huge downgrade.

I mean that would be ideal for us but do you think the Jets will have enough clarity on the Rodgers situation in the next 12 days that they'd be willing to pass on a chance to potential acquire him for Carr?

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr is similar to guys like Cousins / Dak in that the numbers look pretty good and he has his moments of playing at a high level so he's overvalued by people that don't really watch him play. But when he's your starter you see how his flaws hold the team back. 

Carr is definitely above average and can be successful in the right situation. But his flaws have become too much to overcome for us and there's a reason he has more losses than any QB in the league since he was drafted.

That’s on the GM for never having a defense though. More so than Carr not being enough. He comes to us and he has one of the best defenses in the league with him and while the weapons aren’t as good… we have emerging guys that can be stars.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

That’s on the GM for never having a defense though. More so than Carr not being enough. He comes to us and he has one of the best defenses in the league with him and while the weapons aren’t as good… we have emerging guys that can be stars.

The Jets would definitely be the best situation he has ever been in. Young studs on offense (Hall/Wilson/Moore) and an elite defense that he can lean on. I don't think he's a great fit with you guys though because he's historically bad in cold weather games and probably the most sensitive player in the NFL. The NY media would eat him alive. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

I mean that would be ideal for us but do you think the Jets will have enough clarity on the Rodgers situation in the next 12 days that they'd be willing to pass on a chance to potential acquire him for Carr?

That’s where I can’t answer that with clarity. But teams know that’s when the deadline to trade for Carr is. So you’d have to think teams in the QB market will be making calls about both of those guys before then. Can’t sit and wait bc then you’re left with below average guys. A team like us has a GM and HC on the hot seat if they can’t make us a playoff team. Don’t think they’re sitting back and waiting. I expect them to be aggressive. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s where I can’t answer that with clarity. But teams know that’s when the deadline to trade for Carr is. So you’d have to think teams in the QB market will be making calls about both of those guys before then. Can’t sit and wait bc then you’re left with below average guys. A team like us has a GM and HC on the hot seat if they can’t make us a playoff team. Don’t think they’re sitting back and waiting. I expect them to be aggressive. 

None of our main beat guys think we're going to get a deal done before the deadline. Rodgers makes it weird because he hasn't even decided if he's going to play and the Packers also haven't committed to trading him so that could drag on for a while, IMO. Trading for Carr would benefit you guys though because his deal is extremely team friendly after this year with minimal GTD money. But I think Carr might be looking to hit free agency so he can sign a new deal that's worth less overall but has more GTD money on the backend. 

13 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

From the Athletic this morning: 

A resolution is looming with Raiders quarterback Derek Carr, as $40.4 million of his contract will become fully guaranteed Feb. 15. The Raiders will almost certainly trade or release Carr by that deadline, and quarterback-needy teams believe a release is the more likely scenario. The Raiders have very little leverage because Carr has a no-trade clause, and interested teams believe they can sign Carr for a more favorable contract than the one they’d have to trade to inherit.

Essentially, it sounds like teams aren’t going to be lining up to trade for the current contract. Could the market change if, say, Aaron Rodgers decides to remain with the Packers, thereby trimming the veteran QB market to Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo? In theory, sure. But for now, teams appear willing to wait out the Raiders on this one.

25 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

From the Athletic this morning: 

Oh I get it. But if you’re a QB starved team like us. Can you really let the odds of just landing him in FA be a risk?

Look at it from the Jets standpoint.

You want to do something big at QB and Rodgers is option 1 for you and Carr is option 2. And you really don’t love any move after those 2. You have to trade for Rodgers regardless. Price should be pretty much set on him already. I have no clue if negotiations have already begun. But let’s say they’re firm on 2 1st and the Jets know they’re not paying that. GB isn’t moving off that price. So the sheets then have to turn to option 2 which is Carr. You trade a mid rounder for him you’re guaranteed him (assuming he’d waive the no trade clause). He hits FA and now there’s 6 other teams in on him and now you’re in a bidding war for him and might lose. So then you’re forced to options like Jimmy G (who if we’ve spent all our FA time trying to lure Carr is likely close to a deal elsewhere). To options that no one really likes.

So for me you go all in on a trade for Rodgers or Carr. After that this team isn’t moving the needle much. I’d welcome Jimmy G. But I think that puts us as a 1st round exit in the playoffs most years and drafting in the late teens early 20s making it harder to improve the roster.

For me we add Rodgers or Carr (Rodgers more so than Carr). And we’re now SB contenders. Not just maybe a playoff team. So for me the value is way higher with those 2.

41 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Oh I get it. But if you’re a QB starved team like us. Can you really let the odds of just landing him in FA be a risk?

Look at it from the Jets standpoint.

You want to do something big at QB and Rodgers is option 1 for you and Carr is option 2. And you really don’t love any move after those 2. You have to trade for Rodgers regardless. Price should be pretty much set on him already. I have no clue if negotiations have already begun. But let’s say they’re firm on 2 1st and the Jets know they’re not paying that. GB isn’t moving off that price. So the sheets then have to turn to option 2 which is Carr. You trade a mid rounder for him you’re guaranteed him (assuming he’d waive the no trade clause). He hits FA and now there’s 6 other teams in on him and now you’re in a bidding war for him and might lose. So then you’re forced to options like Jimmy G (who if we’ve spent all our FA time trying to lure Carr is likely close to a deal elsewhere). To options that no one really likes.

So for me you go all in on a trade for Rodgers or Carr. After that this team isn’t moving the needle much. I’d welcome Jimmy G. But I think that puts us as a 1st round exit in the playoffs most years and drafting in the late teens early 20s making it harder to improve the roster.

For me we add Rodgers or Carr (Rodgers more so than Carr). And we’re now SB contenders. Not just maybe a playoff team. So for me the value is way higher with those 2.

I agree with you and that's why I thought there would be more traction on a potential deal. But according to the Athletic teams aren't really interested in giving up assets to take on his current deal and would prefer to test their luck in free agency.