Busts, blue chippers, and diamonds in the rough

warfelg

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Nice group of players. I'd definitely have no issues drafting Tuli Tuipulotu at 17. The only reason I go 2nd is because of those goofy draft simulators.

What if we sign  Justin Houston , KVN (depth outside and starter Inside) and trade Highsmith? Tuli will probably climb the board , but these 3 would probably be less and fill the need at 3 positions with KVN inside most of the time but he could go outside if required. He was solid for the chargers, always thought KVN was a solid smart LB,  was oping we would draft him way back as was the case with Houston.  2 or 3 year deals for both with incentives etc to add some cash  for playing well of course.

I wanted to keep Highsmith but overall the cap might be better off elsewhere for the team .  He never took over after TJ got hurt like I was hoping, and defensive stats were quite telling as they often showed during the games.   Justin Houston OTOH has proven over the years that he is disruptive no matter what team he is on or who is opposite and I was hoping we would sign him last time as well. 

What do you guys think Highsmith would yield in a trade?  And he doesn't stay in the AFC either , a part of trades most  consider.

Then you look at CB, if Sutton is offered  a deal from other teams that is steep, does Khan decide to let him walk and take advantage of the depth at CB in this draft?

Between Sutton and Highsmith , that could be approx $20M+ cap annually. The above 3 + RD1 CB,  would be $10M and also are proven vets, versatile (KVN) and then take that $10M and  put that towards proven vet LT.  OL is better and has more depth, and passrush is better and has depth and ILB is better. I think Houston is better than Highsmith but age has much to do with all this of course and 3 years from now it could be different (I expect so)  Still, a vet with a vast skillset  can mentor the teammates as well.

Regarding the DT/DL here, I am thinking there is a problem with the people evaluating talent. They let Buggs go, and he starts and plays well on another team .  Wormley and Loudermilk never appeared to hold the point and anchor vs the run and I never understood how they were on the team in the first place .  For some reason Davis never gets a chance, I never understood this either .  Adams would be a decent back up but no Chris Hoke and of course not Hampton. The team needs to get this corrected ASAP and I am not talking about redshirting rookies either. 

For this,  a proven Vet would help as well as an early draft pick and this is where trading a player can help out with acquiring the draft pick .

I have a problem with the line of scrimmage as it is and has been.  Lets see if Khan does as well

just edited: do they let Boswell go? He had a rough year, could he be a cap casualty? Wright was good IMO. I was a Boswell fan, but there is a harsh reality in the NFL, and the bottom line is -  what have you done for us lately 

Edited by 3rivers

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 11:24 AM, armsteeld said:

Nice group of players. I'd definitely have no issues drafting Tuli Tuipulotu at 17. The only reason I go 2nd is because of those goofy draft simulators.

He tightens the defensive line by being firm on the edge. 

As opposed to now, whoever is in there at DT you might feel a little loosey goosey like you got a hole in there. That's bc the force from the EDGE isn't pushing downhill as powerful (Highsmith)

Like there is a huge day hole at DT. But if you draft a 6'5" 290 to play DE suddenly I don't feel so dire alongside the DL.

Somewhat interesting. You can kill two birds with one stone by drafting him. You upgrade EDGE and you lessen need for DL to day three, even if they all leave (Oji, Alu, Worm)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Raidersfan1 said:

Sydney Brown reminded me of Troy. Probably not that unique blend of speed and quickness. But very similar movement and style. 

Maybe you just like the Mike Brown (Bears) comparisons.

I think the hair sticking out the back draws immediate comparisons,

and he's solid, but nowhere near the special athlete Troy was.

15 hours ago, mwalker said:

I think the hair sticking out the back draws immediate comparisons,

and he's solid, but nowhere near the special athlete Troy was.

Truth - it's a factor. He's like creeping around back there. What you doin, Troy. Troy was like 4.3's. I think they have that same agility. So, I'm expecting the difference to be in acceleration. Or burst. Which is what made Troy, Troy. 

I only watched a bit but I can see 4.48 and that's plenty fast enough. Which is why Mike Brown came to mind as well (he might've been like 4.58 totally spewing sd lff now)