What do you do when your favorite team ships the bed??

Swampbilly

I make a mock LOL!  My second much too early mock.  Let me know what you think and we'll discuss.  I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

1) Quentin Nelson OG Notre Dame; best interior lineman in this draft and fits a huge need.

2) Mark Andrews TE Oklahoma; we cut ties with Thomas and draft the player we were hoping Thomas would be.  Not a traditional inline TE but an elite receiver.

3) Will Clapp C LSU; some will have this player going in round 2 and he might for his measurables, but imo he is a little too raw to go that early.

4) Holton Hill CB Texas; a dynamic playmaker that has the length (6'1" 195) to play in our scheme.  Somewhat of a character gamble as he was suspended for the year for violating team rules.

4)(change)**** Kurt Benkert QB Virginia; moves well within the pocket and has adequate arm strength and good size for the position (6'3" 220).  Threw for nearly 400 yards, 4 TDs and 1 INT on the road against the Miami Hurricanes and nearly got the upset.  A streaky passer that needs to work on being consistent on his accuracy and ball placement.

6) Rahsaan Penny RB San Diego State; comparable to Damien Williams in stature and ability.  Experienced kickoff returner that has taken a few to the house.  It would be nice to see him paired with Drake on return and backup RB duties.

7) Adam Brenemen TE U Massachusetts; good measurables (6'4" 250) and great production would normally make him go sooner, but health concerns ( knees) drop the Penn State transfer to round 7 where he is well worth the risk at a position of need.

20 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Two TE???  Not sure why you would need to draft two....

I agree that there needs to be a QB in there somewhere.  Matt Moore and his $2mm salary will not be back. 

This draft sucks.  Many scouts have said its the worst in years. 

I agree with the scouts.  I don't like the overall level of talent in this draft.

I think we take a look at possible trade targets at backup QB using a 2019 draft pick, and I also think we target a QB or two this draft but ultimately miss out because of bigger needs.  Additionally there are a few UFA QBs we could target.  Here is a link  http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Yes two TE's!!!  We want to be able to run two TE sets and obviously Thomas will be cut and Fasano will be an UFA.  Also this is a good TE draft with very good depth at the position, so we could get a TE in the fifth or sixth that could end up as a solid starter in year two.

21 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

There needs to be a QB somewhere in there.  I really like what I've seen of Nelson, though.  I haven't looked hard at the pass rushers in this class yet, though.  

I think if Baker Mayfield drops to round 2 ( possible because of less than ideal measurables and character concerns) then I think we might get on the phone and make a few calls.  Maybe package a 2018 fourth and a 2019 third to swap second round picks, depends on how close to the top of the draft we are once the season is done.

I also think that it's possible that Mayfield is way down on our boards too.  It's hard to tell but I have a feeling that Gase either loves him or hates him, no in between.

I don't think that Mayfield will be on the Dolphins board at all. Gase wants a QB that is very accurate, has good arm strength, and reads defences very well. Mayfield doesn't have good arm strenghth, and he has horrible mechanics. Luke Falk is a name to keep an eye on in the middle rounds of the draft. He has prototype height, is extremely accurate, and knows how to work the pocket. He also has very good arm strength. Being a shotgun only QB, many teams will write him off. Gase loves operating out of the shotgun, so that won't be a problem. Another QB to look at is Kurt Benkert. He will available in the middle rounds, and he has good size, good arm strength, is very accurate, and also knows how to work the pocket. The Dolphins don't need some athletic superstar at QB. We need a competent QB that can throw the rock, and doesn't make boneheaded decisions. I would target a QB in the third round.

4 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

I don't think that Mayfield will be on the Dolphins board at all. Gase wants a QB that is very accurate, has good arm strength, and reads defences very well. Mayfield doesn't have good arm strenghth, and he has horrible mechanics. Luke Falk is a name to keep an eye on in the middle rounds of the draft. He has prototype height, is extremely accurate, and knows how to work the pocket. He also has very good arm strength. Being a shotgun only QB, many teams will write him off. Gase loves operating out of the shotgun, so that won't be a problem. Another QB to look at is Kurt Benkert. He will available in the middle rounds, and he has good size, good arm strength, is very accurate, and also knows how to work the pocket. The Dolphins don't need some athletic superstar at QB. We need a competent QB that can throw the rock, and doesn't make boneheaded decisions. I would target a QB in the third round.

Thanks for the QB insight.  Some very valid points, so valid that I made a change in my mock.  Good call on Benkert, I watched him beat up on a fast and aggressive Hurricanes defense for 3 quarters until he finally made a mistake.  He could be a good value in the fourth round imo.

Archived