The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

Just now, CWood21 said:

Too lazy to do any real leg work into it, but my initial guess says that still isn't close.  Carson Kelly, Jack Flaherty, Delvin Perez, and Sandy Alcantara is probably the start of the package.  Honestly, I think Detroit would demand a blue-chip prospect back and I don't think the Cardinals have one to offer.

I'm not sure I would move those pieces for him. He's valuable but we have guys that might be able to do just as well. I'm liking all these young pieces for Maddux to tinker with. 

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm not sure I would move those pieces for him. He's valuable but we have guys that might be able to do just as well. I'm liking all these young pieces for Maddux to tinker with. 

I mean, he's cost-controlled for the next four years and he's young.  He's going to cost a fortune for a team to acquire him.

3 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

The more I think about this offseason, the less I like the idea of going after a TOR guy. The options are extremely limited and I don't think our rotation is even close to being this team's biggest weakness. 

Honestly, I don't think we need a #1 or #2 type guy if we all feel Reyes is going to return to what he was prior to the injury (which he should). Reyes and Martinez at the top of the rotation and locked up long term puts us in a good spot. 

I think we're looking for a guy that could slide in anywhere from #3-5 and provide innings and upside. Now, that's not to say if the market ended up conducive to a TOR trade, we wouldn't pursue...

I really think if Arrieta's market gets overestimated and he's willing to settle in for a 4-5 year deal, he's probably at the top of our list in FA...

Anybody see this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

It's MLBTR projection for the top 50 FA's and where they'll go + they're expected deal size.

-They have us signing Greg Holland for 4 years/50 million (gasp). Seems pretty pricey.

Guy I'm most intrigued by BP wise (outside of Nicasio) is Addison Reed. Also like Tony Watson a lot.

9 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Guys, we can all breath a sigh of relief. Remember those asinine rumors that popped up in the news media months ago about us declining to offer Lance Lynn the QO?

They were just that, rumors. We offer him the QO...

It made no sense not to at least offer him the QO.  Worst case scenario, he accepts it and we're on the hook for the nearly $15M salary.  And we get a guy who will pitch 200+ innings next year.  Sounds awful.

Anybody see this:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

It's MLBTR projection for the top 50 FA's and where they'll go + they're expected deal size.

-They have us signing Greg Holland for 4 years/50 million (gasp). Seems pretty pricey.

Guy I'm most intrigued by BP wise (outside of Nicasio) is Addison Reed. Also like Tony Watson a lot.

Straight garbage.  So many things wrong with that, but I'll focus purely on the Cardinals-centric discussion.  So...the Cardinals are willing to go 4 years, $50M to Greg Holland, but couldn't beat the 4 year, $60M deal for Wade Davis?  I do think there's a good chance that the Cardinals end up with Greg Holland, but they're not going that high on Holland, and if they're willing to go that high on a closer they're going to go after one of the premier closers, which means Wade Davis.

Honestly, I don't think we need a #1 or #2 type guy if we all feel Reyes is going to return to what he was prior to the injury (which he should). Reyes and Martinez at the top of the rotation and locked up long term puts us in a good spot. 

I think we're looking for a guy that could slide in anywhere from #3-5 and provide innings and upside. Now, that's not to say if the market ended up conducive to a TOR trade, we wouldn't pursue...

I really think if Arrieta's market gets overestimated and he's willing to settle in for a 4-5 year deal, he's probably at the top of our list in FA...

Honestly, my opinion is if it's available and at the right cost, I'm willing to do it.  But if it's something that's outside the comfort zone, I'll pass.  Expecting much of anything out of Alex Reyes next season is probably unrealistic, and he's not someone whose thrown a ton of innings in a season.  So even a year from now we're probably talking about a ~175 IP season.   That's probably in a best case scenario.  We're probably looking at 2020 when we get Alex Reyes without any sort of restraints.

As far as Arrieta goes, I've thought he was always a darkhorse to sign with St. Louis.  Fits what we need, what we want, and what we could use.  Slot him into the rotation behind Carlos Martinez, and that rotation looks significantly better than it does without him.  And it really doesn't block what the Cardinals do with Alex Reyes either, since Adam Wainwright is a FA at the end of the season.  The problem is I don't see the Cardinals going past 5 years with him.  And I think securing that 6th year could be what ends up getting it done for him.

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, my opinion is if it's available and at the right cost, I'm willing to do it.  But if it's something that's outside the comfort zone, I'll pass.  Expecting much of anything out of Alex Reyes next season is probably unrealistic, and he's not someone whose thrown a ton of innings in a season.  So even a year from now we're probably talking about a ~175 IP season.   That's probably in a best case scenario.  We're probably looking at 2020 when we get Alex Reyes without any sort of restraints.

As far as Arrieta goes, I've thought he was always a darkhorse to sign with St. Louis.  Fits what we need, what we want, and what we could use.  Slot him into the rotation behind Carlos Martinez, and that rotation looks significantly better than it does without him.  And it really doesn't block what the Cardinals do with Alex Reyes either, since Adam Wainwright is a FA at the end of the season.  The problem is I don't see the Cardinals going past 5 years with him.  And I think securing that 6th year could be what ends up getting it done for him.

Signing him would allow us to move Flaherty too. I think he could be a big part of a big deal.

So according to Peter Gammons, the Cardinals are willing to make "one of their best young pitchers" available IF the Marlins are willing to eat some salary.  Obviously, that's a pretty broad statement.  How much money are they wanting the Marlins to kick in?  What pitcher(s) are they willing to move?  As I've mentioned, I think there's zero chance they move Luke Weaver this offseason, because of his early success and big need in the rotation.  I do think the Cardinals will have Jack Flaherty available, but I'd imagine they'd want the Marlins to eat a good chunk of salary.  And if that's not okay for Miami, then you get into the tier with Dakota Hudson, Sandy Alcantara, and Jordan Hicks tier.  I could see them dangling Hudson or Alcantara, but I'm not sure it's really enough to get the Marlins to move Stanton unless they're desperate to shed salary.

On 11/4/2017 at 6:32 PM, CWood21 said:

So according to Peter Gammons, the Cardinals are willing to make "one of their best young pitchers" available IF the Marlins are willing to eat some salary.  Obviously, that's a pretty broad statement.  How much money are they wanting the Marlins to kick in?  What pitcher(s) are they willing to move?  As I've mentioned, I think there's zero chance they move Luke Weaver this offseason, because of his early success and big need in the rotation.  I do think the Cardinals will have Jack Flaherty available, but I'd imagine they'd want the Marlins to eat a good chunk of salary.  And if that's not okay for Miami, then you get into the tier with Dakota Hudson, Sandy Alcantara, and Jordan Hicks tier.  I could see them dangling Hudson or Alcantara, but I'm not sure it's really enough to get the Marlins to move Stanton unless they're desperate to shed salary.

Out of our big 3 (Reyes, Weaver, Flaherty) definitely think Flaherty is the piece they'd move in any trade for a TOR starter or MOTO bat. I think Weaver showed too much promise last year and they can essentially plug him in for 2018 and go. They don't have to worry about capping his innings unless needed IMO...

I've seen other reports stating the Marlins would be willing to eat some of the deal on Stanton in order to move his contract, but how much remains to be seen. I definitely think he's going to be moved. The new ownership group is desperate to shed around $90 million (several outlets have stated this) and moving Giancarlo's deal is at the forefront...

Honestly, I think this rumor has some legs, unlike most you hear around this time of the year...

Some news out of St. Louis today...

#STLCards have made Lance Lynn a qualifying offer ($17.4 million). They have also granted Trevor Rosenthal his unconditional release.

The #STLCards have also outrighted infielder Alex Mejia and catcher Alberto Rosario off their 40-man roster.

No real surprises there.  The Cardinals figured to be a shoe-in to offer Lynn the QO, and he's already indicated that he'll turn it down.  Alex Mejia was nothing than more an utility MIF, and probably a career AAAA player.  Nice player to have in your system, but nothing legitimate.  Rosario fell down the C map as well.

Honestly, I think this rumor has some legs, unlike most you hear around this time of the year...

Absolutely makes sense.  Probably one of the few teams who has the financial flexibility to take on his contract and give back a decent package to the Marlins.