Does Belichick's job survive another losing season?

notthatbluestuff

15 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

and yet you keep asking. He's not firing BB. Of course he wants to get to post-season, and he won't be able to name someone better suited to get this squad there. I mean, who do we bring in instead of him? 

A young offensive mind in tune with current league trends. You talk about “this” squad - Belichick built it. That’s why it’s so unremarkable. He spent 20 years thinking he could have tremendous success with any reasonably good QB. Turns out he can’t. So Kraft can tell Pats fans to buckle in for a good few years of treading water while BB inches towards Shula’s record or make a move in line with his supposed goal of “winning.”

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

A young offensive mind in tune with current league trends. You talk about “this” squad - Belichick built it. That’s why it’s so unremarkable. He spent 20 years thinking he could have tremendous success with any reasonably good QB. Turns out he can’t. So Kraft can tell Pats fans to buckle in for a good few years of treading water while BB inches towards Shula’s record or make a move in line with his supposed goal of “winning.”

You make it sound like its a guarantee that if we get a new coach, we'll be 12-5 again :D I'm sure it's that simple

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Which is why I’m asking if THIS is the year. Just like I post “are the Chiefs the bad guys?” on an annual basis. Eventually, the general consensus could be “yes.”

Sure. Yes, the answer is yes. 

So that's this series done now, yeah?

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

You make it sound like its a guarantee that if we get a new coach, we'll be 12-5 again :D I'm sure it's that simple

There’s no guarantee of anything. Still, the rest of your division are arming themselves to the teeth; are you happy to be middling each year or do you want to take a risk?

1 minute ago, notthatbluestuff said:

There’s no guarantee of anything. Still, the rest of your division are arming themselves to the teeth; are you happy to be middling each year or do you want to take a risk?

No, we're not happy. If you read our forum you'll see that.

We also don't think firing BB is necessarily the way to get better. It will be good to see how an actual OC calling offensive plays will be for us.

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

No, we're not happy. If you read our forum you'll see that.

We also don't think firing BB is necessarily the way to get better. It will be good to see how an actual OC calling offensive plays will be for us.

“We?” I don’t think Pats fans speak with one voice. I’ve seen many who want a fresh start at this point.

I mean, it's pretty clear that he's still a top quality coach.  They just simply do not have the pieces in place to win.  It's kind of strange because Bill has got enough out of a lot of different groups of personnel and even quarterbacks in an interim basis to be competitive.  But it just doesn't seem like they've got that right now, and Mac Jones just isn't good enough to cover up for anything.

Bill pretty much has a job there until he decides he wants to retire though.  You build up that sort of track record, you get an awful lot of leash to work with.  Honestly...Belichick pretty much defines the franchise and team culture.  That's not something you just replace on a whim because he hasn't won a super bowl in a while.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I mean, it's pretty clear that he's still a top quality coach.  They just simply do not have the pieces in place to win.  It's kind of strange because Bill has got enough out of a lot of different groups of personnel and even quarterbacks in an interim basis to be competitive.  But it just doesn't seem like they've got that right now, and Mac Jones just isn't good enough to cover up for anything.

Bill pretty much has a job there until he decides he wants to retire though.  You build up that sort of track record, you get an awful lot of leash to work with.  Honestly...Belichick pretty much defines the franchise and team culture.  That's not something you just replace on a whim because he hasn't won a super bowl in a while.

If Jakobi Meyers didn't throw the Raiders game away they would've finished 9-8 and been in the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If Jakobi Meyers didn't throw the Raiders game away they would've finished 9-8 and been in the playoffs.

Yeah.  Like...they're not that far away from being a competitive, playoff team.  But that's also not really the standard that Bill has set previously.  For some teams, just making the playoffs consistently would be enough.  For the Patriots...it feels like the bar is probably higher.  But it also really doesn't matter.  Bill's got that job as long as he wants it.  They're not going to switch horses mid stream like that and get better results.