Training Camp Preview

MrCincinnati

Training camp finally starts this friday, but rookies start there camp tomorrow. Been working hard on this, so I felt the time to post this would be now. I will be giving a quick review of the roster, looking into the starting position battles, as well as which players will be fighting for a spot to make the team. I won’t review all of the players on the roster, only the guys who are locks and have a legit shot to make the team. Sorry theJ, I know you made a thread already about camp battles, so I'm kind of stealing your thunder here. Everyone else feel free to add anything you think I left out.

QUARTERBACKS:

Locks: Andy Dalton, AJ McCarron – No surprises here. Dalton is still the starter, and McCarron won’t be traded unless a team gets into a bad situation like the Vikings last year.

On the Bubble: Jeff Driskel – He’s not likely to make the roster again because the team won’t probably end up going with 3 QB’s on the roster. But since its very likely Dalton won’t survive behind the OL this year, there is a good chance he gets promoted on the roster at some point. He’s pretty much going to be on the practice squad unless he’s dreadful or another team picks him up.

RUNNINGBACKS:

Locks: Jeremy Hill, Giovani Bernard, Joe Mixon – Some will say Hill might not be a lock on the roster, but with Bernard being injured there’s no way he will get cut or traded. The real question here will be if Bernard starts the season on the PUP list or not.

Starting RB: Joe Mixon vs Jeremy Hill – It seems almost everyone is penciling in Mixon as the starter. But if he struggles in the preseason, they may elect to start him out slowly and let Hill get most of the reps for now.

On the Bubble: Cedric Peerman and Stanley “Boom” Williams – There is one spot open right now. Peerman has very very favorable odds since he’s been a proven player in the past on special teams. Boom Williams is a big underdog, but he’s got a shot to sneak onto this team. If not he should be able to make the practice squad. Brandon Wilson’s flexibility will be the X Factor here on who they decide to keep

WIDE RECEIVERS:

Locks: AJ Green, John Ross, Tyler Boyd, Brandon Lafell, Josh Malone – Some might think that Lafell could be a cut casualty because of how many WR’s this team now has, but he surprised people enough last year to earn job security.

Starting #2 WR: John Ross vs Brandon Lafell – While the Bengals don’t tend to rely on their rookies very often, when you draft a guy in the top 10, he needs to be an impact right away. Unfortunately he is not going be ready for training camp and could miss some time in the preseason. That alone could very well seal his fate and give Lafell the job for now. Ross will most likely have to split time with Boyd in the slot in the meantime.

On the Bubble: Alex Erickson vs Cody Core – Both guys will fight for possibly the final spot, but I think the Bengals could very well keep both and stick with 7 guys. Erickson offers much value in the return game, but Core was getting lots of reps near the end of the season as well. Losing one of these guys will sting, but that’s a good problem to have. This position battle will be my personal favorite to watch this summer.

TIGHTEND/FULLBACK:

Locks: Tyler Eifert and Ryan Hewitt – Eifert won’t be ready for training camp it seems like either, but it will give some of the other guys a chance to get more reps.

On the Bubble: Tyler Kroft, CJ Uzomah, and Mason Schreck – Most of you will disagree with me having Kroft and Uzomah on the bubble but here me out for a second. Both guys are almost near locks, but I’m putting both on the bubble because I could see one possibly getting cut. Kroft a 3rd round pick from 2 years ago has failed to live up to expectations and has lost reps to a guy who was drafted lower than him in the same year. But Uzomah who has outperformed Kroft so far hasn’t taken advantage of the playing time that he got last year either. And considering Schreck was drafted, I think he has a roster shot even though it’s not good. At the very least, we will see a battle between Kroft and Uzomah to determine who plays second fiddle to Eifert.

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Locks: Cedric Ogbuehi, Clint Boling, Russell Bodine, Andre Smith, Jake Fisher, Christian Westerman, Eric Winston – Wow, what a mess, where do I begin? Aside from Boling, this group looks like a dumpster fire right now. Bodine has been awful but will still keep his job. Ogbuehi and Fisher will have to sink or swim this year. Smith gets his first shot at G but will most likely get injured at some point. Winston wouldn’t make most teams final roster in the NFL, but his veteran experience will allow him to make the roster. Westerman was a 5th rounder last year, but should be safe considering his potential.

On the Bubble: TJ Johnson, JJ Dielham, Trey Hopkins, and Alex Redmond – There will be at least 2 spots open here, but because of how bad this group is there could be 3 more left. Johnson who was once a 7th round pick in 2013 is now entering his 5th year with the team and has the best odds because of his experience and flexibility. Dielham drafted in the 5th round this year, also offers flexibility and seems like a favorite to make the team seeing as he was drafted. Hopkins once had potential but injuries have stopped him from making an impact on this team but now he has a shot with the state of this position. Redmond is the wildcard here who will look to sneak on the roster, but at the very least make the practice squad.

DEFENSIVE LINE:

Locks: Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Andrew Billings, Michael Johnson, Jordan Willis, Ryan Glascow – I am excited for this group this year considering the makeover they made her in the offseason. The only thing you could argue here is Michael Johnson possibly being cut because of his disappointment play and being overpaid, but he’s going to stick around until the team feels either Willis or Lawson are ready to take over. And Speaking of Lawson, I’m going to put him under the category of LB’s which I will explain more later.

Starting NT: Andrew Billings vs Pat Sims – Billings is almost penciled in as the starter here because he was a 1st round prospect last year that fell in the draft because of injuries. Sims with the most experience among all the DT’s on the team is the only one who is in the way of Billings becoming the starter.

On the Bubble: Wallace Gilberry, Marcus Hardison, Pat Sims, Chris Smith, Will Clarke, Deshawn Williams, Brandon Thompson – Lots of guys fighting for spots, but possibly only 2 or 3 spots when it’s all said and done. Most likely there will only be one DE spot open (again because of Carl Lawson, which I will get too soon enough), so that will be between Gilberry, Smith, and Clarke, and maybe Hardison because of his flexibility. As for the DT, it’s going to be Hardison, Sims, Williams and Thompson. Gilberry who was brought back in the middle of the season last year is a favorite because of his veteran experience. Smith was traded from the Jaguars this offseason, and remember the last time the Bengals traded for someone from the Jaguars it was Reggie Nelson. Clarke a former 3rd round pick from 3 years ago has been a major disappointment and could be on his last life. Meanwhile at DT, most likely they keep 1 or 2 more guys here. Hardison hasn’t been able to show what he can do because of injuries but appears to have a big leg up on this group. Sims may have a shot to start at NT but is still no lock to make the team, but has good odds. Williams and Thompson are the underdogs, and both will have to show something if they want to make it.

LINEBACKERS:

Locks: Vontaze Burfict, Kevin Minter, Vincent Rey, Nick Vigil, Carl Lawson – Finally getting to Carl Lawson, he is likely going to start at LB for now because of all the guys fighting for spots on the DL right now. He will get an opportunity at some point on the DL, but for now will be buried behind the other LB’s.

Starting SLB: Vincent Rey vs Nick Vigil – This is the one starting job that’s going to be toughest to decide I think. Rey who’s been a valuable backup for many years has had good and bad games, but last year he was very good despite not being a full time starter. Meanwhile though Vigil seems to be a guy the Bengals want to give more snaps and they believe he is the favorite to start at SAM.

On the Bubble: Jordan Evans, Marquis Flowers, PJ Dawson, Bryson Albright – There’s likely only 1 spot here, but there is a chance there could be 2 but it’s not likely. Evans was drafted in the 6th round this year but has to be considered the favorite right now. Flowers has been a big contributor to special teams though which is huge value considering the last LB on the depth chart will be on special teams at best anyway. Dawson a former 3rd round pick from 2 years ago hasn’t lived up to the hype despite having the potential to be a starter, and now maybe has his last chance. Albright is a long shot here, but he did manage to hang around on the Bills roster last year, which means I have to give him some odds.

DEFENSIVE BACKS:

Locks: Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, George Iloka, Shawn Williams, Darqueze Dennard, William Jackson, Josh Shaw, Brandon Wilson – With Jones getting a 1 game suspension, he won’t be on the 53 man roster starting out, so that could open up another spot for another position. Brandon Wilson may not be a lock just yet because he was a 6th round pick this year, but because the Bengals traded up to get him I think that assures that he is going to be safe. The question about him though him though is he going to be a CB, S, or RB starting out?

On the Bubble: Keivarae Russell, Bene Benwikere, Derron Smith, Clayton Fejedelem – At least 2 spots are left, one for CB and one for S. You could argue more because of Jones’s suspension but I can only assume they go with 5 CB’s for now and 4 S’s. Russell is the favorite to get the final CB spot who managed to make the most of his playing time last year, plus he was a 3rd round pick from the Chiefs last year so the potential is there. Benwikere the veteran was with the Panthers as a nickel for a while, but then ended up playing for 3 different teams last year. As for the final S spots, this one is interesting. Smith seems like a favorite to stay because he has more playing time on defense than Fejedelem. Fejedelem playing mostly special teams last year and offers value there. Both would have been locks to make the roster, but this is where Brandon Wilson comes in. If he ends up sliding over to S, then that’s why there’s possibly only 1 spot left.

SPECIAL TEAMS:

Locks: Kevin Huber, Clark Harris – Nothing to really discuss here.

Starting K: Jake Elliott vs Randy Bullock – It’s refreshing to finally have a rookie as a new kicker. This is all but Elliott’s job to lose right now, but there have been times where kickers are known to struggle very early on in their career especially in preseason, so I can’t consider him a lock. Bullock only played with the Bengals for 3 games last year and was nearly perfect, but his only missed was his most crucial one being the game winner against the Texans.

CONCLUSION:

So overall I totaled 40 players that are locks right now, but if your counting Adam Jones being off the roster, then its 39 guys at the moment, which leaves 14 spots open at the moment.

2 minutes ago, MrCincinnati said:

Sorry theJ, I know you made a thread already about camp battles, so I'm kind of stealing your thunder here.

More threads the better.  One of the focuses in the transition to the new forum will be avoiding the "beast" threads.  Those 50 page topics that cover everything from AJ Green's catch of the day to season predictions.  We want our threads to have a good focus on a singular topic so we can better increase conversation.

This thread can be used to discuss the roster as a whole.  My thread is good for discussing specific roster battles you want to keep an eye on.

3 hours ago, theJ said:

More threads the better.  One of the focuses in the transition to the new forum will be avoiding the "beast" threads.  Those 50 page topics that cover everything from AJ Green's catch of the day to season predictions.  We want our threads to have a good focus on a singular topic so we can better increase conversation.

This thread can be used to discuss the roster as a whole.  My thread is good for discussing specific roster battles you want to keep an eye on.

I think I understand the gist of it now. I do love the fact that you can like posts. I already see webby gave me a like, must mean I'm doing something right. lol

Overall this team has a lot of fringe talent on the bubble.  A lot of positions where they'd probably like to keep an extra guy, but can't to meet the 53.  Some of the consideration in the roster cuts will be likelihood they're picked up after cut.  Means guys like Gillberry, Thompson, etc are in trouble.

Probably the most bubble decisions this team has had in years.

24 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Good write up Mr C. I think the Defensive line is gonna be a bloodbath. I would honestly look to trade someone who isn't gonna make the team for a offensive lineman to compete

Not a bad idea.  With the only cut being from 90 to 53 after the 4th preseason game, you can feature someone you don't plan to keep and hope to make a trade right after the 4th game for a lower level lineman.  Even if that lineman is just a 6th man.

Also, it's good it's going to be a blood bath.  Competition will bring the best talent forward.  So long as the coaches have the guts to keep the best guys and not base it on seniority. 

7 hours ago, theJ said:

Not a bad idea.  With the only cut being from 90 to 53 after the 4th preseason game, you can feature someone you don't plan to keep and hope to make a trade right after the 4th game for a lower level lineman.  Even if that lineman is just a 6th man.

Also, it's good it's going to be a blood bath.  Competition will bring the best talent forward.  So long as the coaches have the guts to keep the best guys and not base it on seniority. 

Trading one of the DL players for an OL player certainly would be the best move. They probably will make a trade, but it will be for a position that ends up with the most injured players. It seems to always happen, we just don't know which position will have the most injuries in the next month.

12 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Trading one of the DL players for an OL player certainly would be the best move. They probably will make a trade, but it will be for a position that ends up with the most injured players. It seems to always happen, we just don't know which position will have the most injuries in the next month.

Usually a back of a roster guy.  OL seems the most logical place, but after a draft so weak in OL, there may not be many to go around.  We'll have to wait and find out.

10 hours ago, theJ said:

Usually a back of a roster guy.  OL seems the most logical place, but after a draft so weak in OL, there may not be many to go around.  We'll have to wait and find out.

Its early to tell, but the most logical move to me would be to make a trade with the Cowboys. I don't know what there depth at OL looks like, but based upon the fact that they have one of the best OL''s in the NFL, and that there DL already is having major problems this off season, that may or may not be a solution.

Archived