Countdown to Opening Week and Preseason Preview

LLcheesehead12

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I feel better about this year than I did last year.

Our first team offense actually got work this year, except for Bakh, and you know he doesn't need much.

The defense was flying around getting multiple guys to the ball last game.  That kind of intensity was sorely lacking here in pre-season for many years.  This group of guys are HUNGRY!!!  LET THEM EAT!

I’m mainly excited because think this is as soft a schedule as we will see for years. Who knows what teams are better/worse than last year but the division is not strong overall and I think we will have hiccups, but our offense should get some points up and defense will rise to the occasion. About as good of a schedule as you can ask for with a year 1 QB. I hope he truly grabs it by the horns. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I feel better about this year than I did last year.

Our first team offense actually got work this year, except for Bakh, and you know he doesn't need much.

The defense was flying around getting multiple guys to the ball last game.  That kind of intensity was sorely lacking here in pre-season for many years.  This group of guys are HUNGRY!!!  LET THEM EAT!

I do get a sense this team could have a bit more energy coming into this year compared to the last two years, definitely a plus there.  They will get tested at some point though, and when they have that (inevitable) rough ugly game, they'll need to be able to bounce back.  We'll find out a lot about them at that point.

Hopefully the play we were getting from our guys getting pressure on opposing QBs proves to be the real deal like we saw.

Only unit I don't have optimism for is the special teams.  Well, I mean when Nixon is returning the kicks I feel good, but our new kicker and punter could both be a problem.  I do think Bisaccia is better than Drayton, but we still got issues in the camp.

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

I’m mainly excited because think this is as soft a schedule as we will see for years. Who knows what teams are better/worse than last year but the division is not strong overall and I think we will have hiccups, but our offense should get some points up and defense will rise to the occasion. About as good of a schedule as you can ask for with a year 1 QB. I hope he truly grabs it by the horns. 

Not sure I totally agree with that ... I mean we do have it partially soft with the NFC South teams, the Rams, and the Raiders.  But we got our hands full with some others.  KC and the Chargers are gonna be the toughest ones, Giants will be right behind them.  Pitt and Denver, I don't know.  On paper they may not be shining right now, but Payton and Tomlin know what they're doing with their teams there, and both are on the road in stadiums where we've had trouble winning in the past.

In our own division, I don't know what to expect quite.  I think we can go 4-2 but it's gonna be tight still.  Minny might not finish like last year, I think they caught quite a few breaks to get to 13-4 and got exposed in the playoffs.  But I still think they're about a 10-win team.  And man I don't know why people think Detroit is just gonna go back to their old losing ways.  Ok I get that their reputation for screwing things up may still be known, but the guys running the show now seem to be running it differently than they were under previous GMs and head coaches, and they were graded pretty good in this year's draft.

I'm not saying we can't win this division, but our two main competitors there in Minny and Detroit didn't just fall into sinkholes.

24 minutes ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

Not sure I totally agree with that ... I mean we do have it partially soft with the NFC South teams, the Rams, and the Raiders.  But we got our hands full with some others.  KC and the Chargers are gonna be the toughest ones, Giants will be right behind them.  Pitt and Denver, I don't know.  On paper they may not be shining right now, but Payton and Tomlin know what they're doing with their teams there, and both are on the road in stadiums where we've had trouble winning in the past.

In our own division, I don't know what to expect quite.  I think we can go 4-2 but it's gonna be tight still.  Minny might not finish like last year, I think they caught quite a few breaks to get to 13-4 and got exposed in the playoffs.  But I still think they're about a 10-win team.  And man I don't know why people think Detroit is just gonna go back to their old losing ways.  Ok I get that their reputation for screwing things up may still be known, but the guys running the show now seem to be running it differently than they were under previous GMs and head coaches, and they were graded pretty good in this year's draft.

I'm not saying we can't win this division, but our two main competitors there in Minny and Detroit didn't just fall into sinkholes.

Based on 2022 win %, GB is 24 is strength of schedule 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2023-nfl-strength-of-schedule-for-every-team-cowboys-eagles-among-hardest-steelers-packers-have-it-easier/amp/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, squire12 said:

It is a good link, though part of it is because of my point that we got the NFC South holds true, and I can tell because notice the Bears, Vikes and Lions are ranked 18, 19, and 20, not that far ahead of us and I know that's because they also got the same opponents there with the NFC South and AFC West.  Difference being Minny has to play the Bengals, Eagles, and 49ers I believe and Detroit's got the Ravens, Seahawks, and Cowboys on theirs.

On 8/29/2023 at 1:12 PM, LLcheesehead12 said:

It is a good link, though part of it is because of my point that we got the NFC South holds true, and I can tell because notice the Bears, Vikes and Lions are ranked 18, 19, and 20, not that far ahead of us and I know that's because they also got the same opponents there with the NFC South and AFC West.  Difference being Minny has to play the Bengals, Eagles, and 49ers I believe and Detroit's got the Ravens, Seahawks, and Cowboys on theirs.

Minny gets a taste of that 1st place division schedule the Pack has been owning for the better part of the last two decades. We’re 3rd so we get Rams, Giants and also Steelers from the odd ball AFC game (I still really dislike the 17th game). AFC W has some real ones, but overall a soft schedule here. Of course, some team like NO could make a big jump from last season but hat remains to be seen.