Countdown to Opening Week and Preseason Preview

LLcheesehead12

6 minutes ago, StatKing said:

We traded a HoF QB and still have two QBs on the roster better than Justin Fields.

Don't tell Bears fans that. They think those three passes he completed behind the LOS make him a sure-fire MVP this year. A decent HS QB would have completed all three of those passes. 

They came to gloat in the Rivals thread. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Don't tell Bears fans that. They think those three passes he completed behind the LOS make him a sure-fire MVP this year. A decent HS QB would have completed all three of those passes. 

They came to gloat in the Rivals thread. 

I already know he isn't good. No point in trying to convince them otherwise.

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I still don't expect to see guys like Bak and Maybe Clarke. I don't expect Love to get more than a quarter to a quarter and a half. Not worth risking the other guys that need to be in there with him. 

We shall see though. Maybe MLF wants them to play more because of how poorly we played opening week the past two years. 

Yeah, hard to tell what his exact strategy is.  I remember McCarthy used to have that one preseason game back in the day where you'd see the main starters play sometimes all the way till the early 3rd quarter.  I'm thinking don't do that.  But ... At the same time you definitely want just one sort of regular season focus game, and this would be the ideal game to do that.  And then in the final against Seattle play minimally or not at all any starters and have the 3rd teamers make one last effort for the 53 or the practice roster.

Thing is too I feel like part of our slow start issues were Rodgers just not being in the right headspace, as well as his energy levels just were getting a beat too low, especially in 2nd halves of games.  I get a feeling these younger guys are coming in with a lot more vibe and energy that was lacking the last couple years.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 10:20 PM, LLcheesehead12 said:

Yeah, hard to tell what his exact strategy is.  I remember McCarthy used to have that one preseason game back in the day where you'd see the main starters play sometimes all the way till the early 3rd quarter.  I'm thinking don't do that.  But ... At the same time you definitely want just one sort of regular season focus game, and this would be the ideal game to do that.  And then in the final against Seattle play minimally or not at all any starters and have the 3rd teamers make one last effort for the 53 or the practice roster.

That was pretty much the norm back then, no doubt. Coaches are much more concerned about a healthy team than getting guys a lot of reps in preseason. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

20 days and it is ONNNN BABY!!!!

Well, just gotta finish out with the boring preseason game.  Well ok no Packer game is boring but obviously this last one is going to be mostly about the bubble players for the 53 and deciding who we want on our PR.  Or at least traditionally that's what it's been.  Always feels just a little weird too seeing a Sunday start time on a Saturday game.

Anyway ... Oooohh man, this is going to be the toughest 2 week plus wait after this last preseason game.

• Like 1

"Just wait until Favre leaves, we'll own them"

"Just wait until Rodgers leaves, we'll own them"

If there's one game for Love to come in and win and break the will of Chicago sports fans this year, it's this one.  

If he plays OK, that's alright, but he can do a lot of damage with an impressive win.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LLcheesehead12 said:

20 days and it is ONNNN BABY!!!!

Well, just gotta finish out with the boring preseason game.  Well ok no Packer game is boring but obviously this last one is going to be mostly about the bubble players for the 53 and deciding who we want on our PR.  Or at least traditionally that's what it's been.  Always feels just a little weird too seeing a Sunday start time on a Saturday game.

Anyway ... Oooohh man, this is going to be the toughest 2 week plus wait after this last preseason game.

Thought I read where Love and the starters are going to play some. I will say, I want to see Aaron Rodgers play this weekend with the Jets too. 

But 100% agree with the sentiment that this is going to be a long two weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Thought I read where Love and the starters are going to play some. I will say, I want to see Aaron Rodgers play this weekend with the Jets too. 

But 100% agree with the sentiment that this is going to be a long two weeks. 

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-qb-jordan-love-to-play-again-in-2023-preseason-finale

LaFleur wants the guys to get more live game reps together.  Especially the young WR, TE, and QB.  I would guess that he gets in another drive or two against Seattle.  I doubt we are going to see a Jeff Fisher play the starters for a half and try to win the game kind of thing, but they will play everyone besides probably Bakhtiari, Alexander, and Clark.

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

https://www.packers.com/news/packers-qb-jordan-love-to-play-again-in-2023-preseason-finale

LaFleur wants the guys to get more live game reps together.  Especially the young WR, TE, and QB.  I would guess that he gets in another drive or two against Seattle.  I doubt we are going to see a Jeff Fisher play the starters for a half and try to win the game kind of thing, but they will play everyone besides probably Bakhtiari, Alexander, and Clark.

I think you are correct sir! Wonder if Seattle will play their starters on defense. It would be nice to see Love play against that defense. They think they are going to be a top 5 unit. 

7 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I think you are correct sir! Wonder if Seattle will play their starters on defense. It would be nice to see Love play against that defense. They think they are going to be a top 5 unit. 

I don't recall if Pete Carrol is one of the coaches that cares about preseason results or not.  I always liked playing the Jeff Fisher or John Harbaugh teams because we would get at least part of the game with our full second team going against starters.  It is nice to see who can hang and who can't.  I think Andy Reid also does this, but with the second preseason game instead of the third.  Opposite of Mike McCarthy who was like: let's see you line up correctly, run right, run left, chuck a bomb, punt, get the hell out of there.

On 8/26/2023 at 3:20 PM, LLcheesehead12 said:

I have mixed feelings on whether or not our guys are ready to rumble come the regular season, but hey ... in almost exactly 15 days and 5 minutes from now we will find out.

Long long 2 weeks for sure, even though college football will also be rolling.

I feel better about this year than I did last year.

Our first team offense actually got work this year, except for Bakh, and you know he doesn't need much.

The defense was flying around getting multiple guys to the ball last game.  That kind of intensity was sorely lacking here in pre-season for many years.  This group of guys are HUNGRY!!!  LET THEM EAT!