Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

16 hours ago, G08 said:

ATL makes the most sense to me, and part of that is because I want Justin to go into a solid situation (talent on offense plus it's his hometown):

#43 (2nd)

#79 (3rd)

2025 2nd

Yes, I agree... but I would only trade JF1 for 2x 1stRounders (2024 and 2025).

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I am on record as being high on Fields from draft all the way to Cleveland game.

I still believe Fields can be really good IF he corrects certain things: his slow drop, his slow delivery, his slow processing and his tendency to not avoid slobber knocking hits.

In 2021 I argued with a number of people that Fields was an elite athlete.  He surprised even me with what he showed in 2022 in running football.  Nobody knew he was THAT fast.  IMO he is most athletic QB in league.  In world.  Even more so than Jackson.  

But he hasn't corrected above. 

I just heard two podcasts that blames coaching for his above flaws.  Can he correct his flaws still?  Who knows?  Maybe.  I am not sure you can correct a slow processing chip.  But reps, good coaching and experience certainly help with that.

Here is the thing.  We aren't just blaming Getsy.   

Justin Fields has been playing QB for a long time.  Probably since he was 6 years old or something.  He probably had a pretty good HS coach.  He went to camps.  He has a personal QB coach.

So all those guys suck.  

He went to Georgia.  Do all the Georgia coaches suck?

Do the Ohio St. coaches suck? 

Did Nagy suck?  As a HC yes.  But Andy Reid doesn't suck and he hired Nagy twice now to coach QBs and be OC.  

At what point are Justin Fields flaws Justin Fields fault?   

For me, I was patient up to Cleveland game.   I may be willing to wait another year for him or his new coach to fix his flaws, if we were drafting later in draft.   But we are drafting number 1 overall again.

You can go back and look at my preseason posts.  I wanted both a high pick to trade and Justin Fields to have seized the day.  One of those things happened.  

We passed last year and I agreed.   I can't agree again.  The time is now to move on.  

Can it blow up in my face and Justin goes on to be great?  Yes.  But my reasoning is still sound.   You have to take chances and make decisions based on totality of information at hand.

I will sum up my opinions on coaching: "Good players make coaches look good."

Yes there are bad coaches who will get less out of a good player. But the player won't suck solely because of a coach. They'll still manage to look good. Patrick Mahomes still looks like a great QB with Nagy as his coach.

People said Trubisky was held back by Bears coaching and that he'd be great once he left Chicago. How's that going? Which QB has left Chicago and gone on to success with another organization? I think coaches are easy scapegoats. Players are the heroes and we want to believe in them. But most often they are what they are.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Poles has a history of dealing with Steelers GM Omar Khan (Claypool trade) and I don't see Tomlin going into next season with Pickett and Rudolph as his QBs. Those guys just aren't going to move the needle at all

I think Fields would fit well on that team and Bears would only have to play against him every other year.

Seeing that we just picked up 1.20  AND  JF in the AFC

23 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Maybe? I’m not sure how much was “Michigan didn’t ask him to do ****” versus “JJ can’t do ****” for me. 

That guy is WIRED RIGHT and a gamer with some athleticism 

he doesn't have the strongest arm but ALwaYS makes the right play. I believe that he will be a HUGe NFL surprise !

If JF is moved and Bowers Nabers are gone, I wouldn't mind moving back from 9 and eventually picking up McCarthy with one of the extra picks, we will have also gotten a pick or 2 for JF so not a 'wasted asset'

CW 1.1 of course 

Edited by SLCbear

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am on record as being high on Fields from draft all the way to Cleveland game.

I still believe Fields can be really good IF he corrects certain things: his slow drop, his slow delivery, his slow processing and his tendency to not avoid slobber knocking hits.

I adore JF. He is literally one of my top 5 favorite PEOPLE on the Planet !

The slow processing, even in the short game is what kills it for me. AND  I just don't believe that this CAN be fixed in ANy QB at the NFL level.

Can the right OC and supporting cast catch fire with JF and win a SB ? Yes.

Multiple SBs ? eh probably not.

Do I want to have to worry about  getting the OC and supporting cast just right and also worry about JF taking hits, missing games ? NO !

• Like 2

It's this sort of thing that makes giving up on Fields hard...6th highest EPA from a clean pocket in the league and was throwing from a dirty pocket far more than anyone above him (or just about anyone else to be fair)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

It's this sort of thing that makes giving up on Fields hard...6th highest EPA from a clean pocket in the league and was throwing from a dirty pocket far more than anyone above him (or just about anyone else to be fair)

This also sort of highlights his processing deficiencies bc when its all clean and he has time to process he gets it right,  BUT needs clean time  

8 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

This also sort of highlights his processing deficiencies bc when its all clean and he has time to process he gets it right,  BUT needs clean time  

I will be honest, I think the processing argument is overblown...I think far more the issue was the design of the offence and the fact we only have one WR who could gain any sort of separation...Fields didn't look slow in processing when throwing to DJ.

9 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I will be honest, I think the processing argument is overblown...I think far more the issue was the design of the offence and the fact we only have one WR who could gain any sort of separation...Fields didn't look slow in processing when throwing to DJ.

Its not really an argument. I mean, on some plays the processing can look pretty good.  But good, quick seeing whole field processing is just not JFs thing. 

Even in the short pass game there is this wind-up. 

Can this improve ? Yes, esp for a guy wired like JF

Can this improve at the level we need for us to be year-in, year-out contenders ? eh, probably not 

Edited by SLCbear

11 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

"Fields processes quickly when throwing to his #1 read."

Of course he does...

Just now, SLCbear said:

Its not really an argument. I mean, on some plays the processing looks pretty good but good, quick seeing whole field processing is just not JFs thing. 

Even in the short pass game there is this wind-up so to speak. 

Can this improve ? Yes, esp for a guy wired like JF

Can this improve at the level we need for us to be year-in, year-out contenders ? eh, probably not 

Like I said IMO it has also been overblown...I just think we need to stop thinking that Fields is a main issue for the lack of pass game production...I do still fully expect us to move on from him at this point but I feel there will be times we will regret that decision especially next season.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Like I said IMO it has also been overblown...I just think we need to stop thinking that Fields is a main issue for the lack of pass game production...I do still fully expect us to move on from him at this point but I feel there will be times we will regret that decision especially next season.

JFs slowish windup and awful Getsy PC both are main issues. 

Getsy gone, further strengthen OLine & weapons, consistent proper-execution will all greatly improve pass production w/JF  !! 

Will it improve ENouGH for us to contend every year and win multiple SBs over the next 5-7 seasons ? Probably not.

I could maybe be talked into keeping JF, moving down for Jayden or alot further down for JJM, picking up some high end pieces to build around JF while having injury insurance 

But I still likely take CW 1.1, esp if I get a top 40 '24 pick or stud player for JF