Caserio on the hot seat?

lumberjackchris

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I get there were rumors, but there are also direct quotes from Ryans himself on how he likes working with Caserio:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/demeco-ryans-nick-caserio-has-been-really-fun-to-work-with

"I’m happy to be in this spot working with someone as experienced as Nick because he’s helped me and guided me through a lot. It’s always great to have someone you can lean on, someone you can trust, and our relationship — me and Nick — we collaborate on everything. That was our plan coming into it and that’s what we do. Every morning we’re meeting, making sure that we’re on the same page, and I think that’s how you grow when you have collaboration and you have buy-in from everyone. Just like we’re asking our players to be one, me and Nick, we’re one on all of our decisions that we make, trying to make our organization the best it can be"

You can't say that one is media lip service and the other one is credible - the rumors and the quote are opposites ends of the spectrum, so one is true and the other is not. I'll say this - Ryans doesn't seem like a guy who can openly lie to anyone. Sure, there's spin doctoring to statements, but this is very blunt and specific. If it's not true, then Ryans is lying through his teeth.

Taking both out of the equation, you have to wargame this out - if Ryans flexes anything and gets Nick fired, and then suddenly the quality of player brought in suffers? Ryans is the only one who will take the blame, even if he hires a GM. People's will immediately know any GM is just acting as a puppet to Ryans, especially if Caserio is fired after hitting on so much in a positive way.

We're actually seeing this sort of thing play out with the Houston Astros - GM James Click wasn't resigned (after winning a WS, no less) and Jeff Bagwell was the defacto interim GM this offseason. He made some very questionable decisions in regards to extensions and free agent signings, those decisions didn't go as planned and now it's Bagwell (a HoF player for this team, one of the franchise legends) who is carrying the brunt of those decisions. If the Astros don't repeat Bagwell is going to be punted out of that building for his error in judgment. Never mind they hired a GM - these were Bagwell's calls, and he botched them in the middle of a ride as the top franchise in the sport.

Ryans is pragmatic enough to understand that Caserio represents insulation. Ryans would not be blamed if Juice Scruggs busted or if that Cardinals pick turns out to be a top 5 pick - those are Caserio decisions, so Caserio would feel the heat.

We all knows Ryans would never openly criticize his GM

but my main point, which you’ve seemingly agreed with is that Caserio is serving at the pleasure of Ryans. 

10 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

We all knows Ryans would never openly criticize his GM

We also know nobody with an NFL Exec role would voluntarily step down.

12 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

but my main point, which you’ve seemingly agreed with is that Caserio is serving at the pleasure of Ryans. 

I don't think this is some great revelation here - this is actually how functional franchises work, not ones ran by Bill O'Brien or Jack Easterby. The GM serves at the pleasure of the HC on football matters; Lynch answers to Shanny, Schneider answers to Carroll, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

We also know nobody with an NFL Exec role would voluntarily step down.

I don't think this is some great revelation here - this is actually how functional franchises work, not ones ran by Bill O'Brien or Jack Easterby. The GM serves at the pleasure of the HC on football matters; Lynch answers to Shanny, Schneider answers to Carroll, etc. 

the rumor was never that Caserio was gonna just step down. It was always that he was gonna take another job somewhere else. 

7 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

the rumor was never that Caserio was gonna just step down. It was always that he was gonna take another job somewhere else. 

But it was a *rumor* - which isn't nearly as credible as what Ryans actually said on the record. 

• 2 weeks later...