Dynasty RB Trade Help

ASM

I am being offered Jahmyr Gibbs for De'Von Achane.  Gibbs was taken 2nd overall in our dynasty draft while I took Achane in the second round.  I am just unsure of Gibbs' TD opportunities with Montgomery around for the next few years.  Big trade - looking for opinions!  

42 minutes ago, ASM said:

I am being offered Jahmyr Gibbs for De'Von Achane.  Gibbs was taken 2nd overall in our dynasty draft while I took Achane in the second round.  I am just unsure of Gibbs' TD opportunities with Montgomery around for the next few years.  Big trade - looking for opinions!  

Don't do it. Achane is the better RB and is also in a better situation to use his skillset with the Dolphins. Don't let their draft position trick you into thinking Gibbs is the superior player. Gibbs was massively overhyped during the draft process and Achane was severely underrated. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ASM said:

I have Goedert, so Hock would definitely be an upgrade.  I still lean towards declining...I just think Achane could be the next CJ2K.  Call me crazy? 

No not crazy. Leading up to the draft I thought Achane played a lot like Jamaal Charles. Elite speed, excellent vision to find a small crease and explode through the 2nd level, great contact balance to fight through contact and pick up a ton of extra yards, along with the versatility to be a threat in the pass game. For an undersized guy Achane really does well between the tackles picking up yards. That was my biggest concerns with Gibbs was his ability to consistently get yards between the tackles. Gibbs just seems to bounce everything outside and rely on his athleticism to do the rest, which seems to be pretty common with a lot of smaller explosive RB's, which sets Achane apart from other RB's with similar builds (along with his truly elite speed). 

• Like 1

Gibbs and Hockenson for Achane is a deal I would easily make.  Achane is on an unreal tear, although he might be out the next four weeks at least now, but it isn't sustainable with his 12 yards per carry.  He has a very bright future but so does Gibbs once he learns how to be patient before hitting holes.  Detroit is a run first team and once they get Jamo involved, that underneath area will be wide open for Gibbs in the passing game.  I think they have similar upsides and once Gibbs settles in he should be fine.  I think you are buying low on Gibbs and selling high on Achane and getting Hock who is a top 3 TE is legit value.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 5:34 PM, ASM said:

I'm not sure why, but I always though Gibbs was bigger than he is, too.  Him and Achane are only about 10 lbs difference.  Thanks for the input! 

To play devils advocate here, but Achane is a mid-round RB following in the long line of Breidas/Wilsons/Mitchells/Mosterts/Hastys in that McDaniel/Shannahan system--he has also has shown in his short time he can get banged up like them too.

I would be worried he is going to be a flash in a timeshare like that system loves to use, have a sporadic workload and worry about his health.

Sort of like giving up on Travis Etienne in Jacksonville after 5 games because Jeff Wilson was going off in San Francisco.

It might sound really good right now, but in 2 years it might look reaaaal dumb. Again,, helping you see the other side of the coin. The pessimist side lol

Edited by AkronsWitness

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2023 at 8:14 PM, ASM said:

Love seeing both sides of the argument. The update is I ended up trading Achane and a pick for Jonathan Taylor. Much more stable IMO and has the body to take a full workload. 

What kind of pick? A 2nd I'm fine with, 1st I probably wouldn't do