OT: The hip drop, what’s your take?

warfelg

As simple as it says. 

Personally, while I hate it, the protection of players is going too far with all the crying of injuries. When regular form tackles are getting flagged for leading with the head, accidental head contact resulting in ejections, other than diving at knees this is the only thing defenders can do. 

I am not a good person to comment on this...I personally think they would just be giving refs more control over the Vegas line. Under the guise of player safety the league has moved towards The Last Boyscout's tone about the future of professional football. A few more steps, and they'll be approaching a professional wrestling theme. I personally think if you are carrying or touching the ball, your *** should be risking being lit up...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Banning it would take us one step closer to flag football

ever notice how most players already have a flag /towel as part of their uniform and located at the back hip?  Maybe they are preparing us for the future and flag football

The hip drop could be banned yet the game could still have tackling. People will have to adjust, tackles will be made a bit further downfield or possibly missed entirely and more offence will result. 

They will remove the hip drop so fantasy points and scoring on offence will go up as they will also expect more fans because of more offence and 'safer' as well. Older fans won't like this though. 

Most players would prefer getting hit in the head than at the knees as well, but thats not going anywhere either.

The league tries to address one problem (head injuries) , but in the process creates another problem (knees and career ending potential). 

Older fans will probably stop watching the game if this keeps progressing   but there is nothing we can do accept wait and then move on. It's a collision sport with elite athletes moving at top speed. Injuries should be expected as a result, then consider the lack of combat in training camp and the players prone to injury rate goes up .  Minor improvement in equipment haven't kept pace  either.  

2 hours ago, rlon said:

I am not a good person to comment on this...I personally think they would just be giving refs more control over the Vegas line. Under the guise of player safety the league has moved towards The Last Boyscout's tone about the future of professional football. A few more steps, and they'll be approaching a professional wrestling theme. I personally think if you are carrying or touching the ball, your *** should be risking being lit up...