Hip-Drop Tackles - Illegal next year?

Broncofan

20 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I’d never even heard the term “hip drop tackle” before the Andrews injury. Such a standard tackle in my eyes. Unfortunately it is a dangerous sport, any given play there is injury risk. I don’t see how you can outlaw a “hip drop tackle” without DRASTICALLY handicapping defenses.

It was a big thing last year in the playoffs because mahomes nearly got seriously hurt in the jags game and then the very next day, Tony Pollard had his ankle broken by Jimmie Ward on a hip drop

If they ban this, they better allow you to clothesline and trip, because they are making it real hard to "tackle" offensive players. 

TBH, I didn't see anything malicious with the tackle on Mark Andrews. I saw a legal tackle and a dude get hurt. Very unfortunate, but even in peewees, they teach you that serious injury can occur on any play. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

If they ban this, they better allow you to clothesline and trip, because they are making it real hard to "tackle" offensive players. 

TBH, I didn't see anything malicious with the tackle on Mark Andrews. I saw a legal tackle and a dude get hurt. Very unfortunate, but even in peewees, they teach you that serious injury can occur on any play. 

The bigger issue IMO are hip drop tackles like the one Jordan Travis experienced.   There's really no place in the game for that type of play, it's very dangerous.

The problem isn't the hip drop tackles like Andrews experienced, it's when player ride the ball carrier and then stomp the legs with their *ss from the side.   To be clear, Wilson wasnt' really doing that the same way as the tackler with Travis - but this points out the problem with this proposed rule.   You're going to eliminate a lot of high tackling that's legal now (especially if you're straight behind the player, I don't know how you can do it any other way).