Who/where did you pick up scouting tips from?

warfelg

As simple as that. Who’s your trusted sources? Was it someone accessible, was it YouTube videos, or was it someone you knew personally. 

Some of mine:

Geoff Schwartz- About 18 months ago I randomly DMed him asking him what he’s watching and pointing out when he looks at OL and he actually responded. He actually thought it was cool I asked. 

Aaron Brooks - used to take golf lessons where I was teaching and he actually took the time to show me some things about looking at QB and WR play. Dude’s football IQ is really underrated. 

Tom Bradley - Former Steelers DB coach and PSU defensive coordinator. Used to do an appearance at a PSU alumni event and got me in touch with LaVarr Arrington. This is when I was in college and working as a HS JV linebackers coach. They taught me so much about defense it isn’t even funny. I was even shown how Hamm and Sean Taylor took notes on opposing offenses. 

• Like 1

@warfelg that's very impressive. I learned from everyone. I learned from so many that it's impossible to list. I learned so much bad which helped me learn to identify non-football related stuff to disregard. I learned from many who been on this forum over the past 10 years or more. 

I don't even try to learn football anymore. It's a waste of time tbh. I focus more on athletics and kinesthetics. Can your ankles flex to help you turn the corner? Are your hips loose enough to swivel or do you lose a step or two when chasing? How long does it take you to stop and do you take extra steps when doing so? Does your hands (upper) and feet (lower) match up? There's so much more which makes it fun.

Edited by armsteeld

4 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

@warfelg that's very impr

I’ll tell you what. I’ve asked about 20x that questions about learning and got shot down. But there’s a lot of people out there willing to talk if you ask the right questions. I learned not to ask about single guys, ask about in general and they love to just talk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I’ll tell you what. I’ve asked about 20x that questions about learning and got shot down. But there’s a lot of people out there willing to talk if you ask the right questions. I learned not to ask about single guys, ask about in general and they love to just talk. 

That fraternity of not bashing someone who gives so much to the game. I respect that.

• Like 1

My best friends uncle Marv was a scout for 28 years starting under Parcells and finishing his career for the titans. He started showing me and my buddy simple things while we were in high-school.  By the time I was out of college he would contract me to check out some regional stuff in the pacific northwest for a dew years. Between him and those I met back in those years is where I learned a few tricks of the trade.

Edited by Big Snack
  • Like 3