DJ’s Drop Rate

rlon

I don’t know who calculates drops by receivers, but listing Johnson with only two in 2023 drops is utter nonsense. I have counted at least 5 drops that were pivotal or potentially huge plays. The ones I am talking about were clear momentum killers, and I bring this up, because, if you are going to complain and get into altercations with coaches/peers, you need to catch the damn ball. You hate to weaken a young receiver room, but I think he should be on the block in the off-season. At least explore it…gauge interest. 

• Like 1

Drops are a very subjective thing. And different teams/outlets have differing standards for what counts. 

I would like to see somewhere quantify these drops. Effect on momentum, big drops, things like that. One WR with 10 drops all on a year, all in Q1 on 2nd and short is no where near as bad as 3 drops all on a year, all in Q4, all on 3rd downs when behind 1-2 scores. 

DJ kind of is the reason Drop Rate is a misleading stat to some degree. But what gets me is PFFs scoring often puts that on the QB. 

1 hour ago, rlon said:

I don’t know who calculates drops by receivers, but listing Johnson with only two in 2023 drops is utter nonsense. I have counted at least 5 drops that were pivotal or potentially huge plays. The ones I am talking about were clear momentum killers, and I bring this up, because, if you are going to complain and get into altercations with coaches/peers, you need to catch the damn ball. You hate to weaken a young receiver room, but I think he should be on the block in the off-season. At least explore it…gauge interest. 

100% saw the same stat/s. You could give him like 3 or 4  in the Jacksonville game alone. Im pretty comfortable that if we went back as a panel and judged his drops they'd probably be closer to double what they are over his career vs what or where these numbers are coming from. Im not even trying to hate but its very realistic. In his worst years they are saying it was only like 13 and several less than 10. We all know there have been numerous games with multiple drops in the past and those game logs don't reflect that. 

• Like 1

Few of us wanted to pay DJ before his contract came up. Pittsburgh ended up with a very favorable number so we all conceded that it was a decent/good number for a "quality" WR in todays rapidly increasing market. Least that was my feeling and I believe many felt similar. 

I think its definitely a good idea to go back to the well in the upcoming draft. Even round 1 or 2 if it makes sense as it seems there could be a good degree of talent available to us when we pick in Round 1. 

• Like 3

whatever happened to a drop being as simple as "if it touches his hands, he should catch that" oops, I mean tacky gloves that cover the hands. 

DJ has been better this year IIRC, but the media might also lie and hype players, just a thought. 

Is there a 3rd party out there that does honest breakdowns and has real stats on this?

Most important  is how does the player play in crunch time. If he runs the wrong route or pouts, maybe just move on and forget about it. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Few of us wanted to pay DJ before his contract came up. Pittsburgh ended up with a very favorable number so we all conceded that it was a decent/good number for a "quality" WR in todays rapidly increasing market. Least that was my feeling and I believe many felt similar. 

I think its definitely a good idea to go back to the well in the upcoming draft. Even round 1 or 2 if it makes sense as it seems there could be a good degree of talent available to us when we pick in Round 1. 

what about UFA fro a WR?  Anyone of interest this UFA season?

How deep is the draft at WR? I was hoping OL for RD1 and RD2 then whatever else is a need after that. 

Edited by 3rivers

he should have made sure the ball never came loose on the TD just to make the officials call that much easier and avoid all the disputes about the rules and the missed challenge.   He will rebound next week, probably tear up the cards defence.  He caught the dime along the sideline on the deep pass. 

It's just Dionte, we know how he can be, get used to it. As long as he comes through when really needed, this is all diva BS of the NFL today and not worth getting to wound up about. If KP can keep delivering strikes like that, it will hep too. 

maybe this won't go over well or will they sweep this under the rug? considering how they let canada run the offence for as long as he did, this might be no issue but he needs to put effort until the whistle. Imagine if the rest of the team was like this

I love how he took zero responsibility for his lazy effort when Warren fumbled. Then his Twitter post, better luck next time. What was that supposed to mean? Was he targeting Warren about the fumble? Was he commenting on the person who posted the video?

Then claiming it was nothing with Minkah.

No, Minkah told him that's not what is expected that the next time he takes that field, he better pull his head out of his rectum because it's not all about him.

Or probably something along those lines.