2023 Week #14 TNF Steelers 7-5 Host Patriots 2-10

Steeler Hitman

Tomlin started with talking about how the extra time has allowed them to review how they are going about covering TE’s and identifying who they have that could do the job best.

Expectation that with more prep time that Mitch could be better, as he got better as the game went on.  Talked about tough spot be thrown into with short week .

Kenny - Out

Highsmith, Watt - In Concussion Protocol 

Roberts - Shouldn’t be missing time

Everyone else should be coming out healthy.

Very complementary of Gus Bradley’s defense, DeForest Buckner too.  Saying a lot about Ziare at ILB.  Kenny Moore at CB getting complements too.

Asked on fixable with consistent ills -

Thinks that they can minimize all these ills, and they are capable of doing so.

On players policing each other -

That’s a component on being a team.

On accountability -

Not alarmed by the discussion and it’s from losing not because they aren’t doing something.  Believes that through division of labor it can be fixed.  Said he won’t be talking about leadership in players because that’s between them.

Was questioned on the late deep play, said they were comfortable in the play because you can’t allow defenses to overplay the sticks, and the only difference between this and the same play in Baltimore was that GP caught his pass.

Seems like a little shot at DJ there.

Was rewatching the game and…..the 4th&2 play late to DJ was there.

I think Mitch made a really bad throw.

If you pull it up (sorry down have a screen shot), DJ ran a really good route, staying wide, keeping the DB on his inside shoulder.  Mitch had about a 6 yard wide window to the sideline to get that ball into that.  If Mitch puts more air under it and gets it on DJ’s outside shoulder there’s a slim chance the DB makes a play on the ball, the safety can’t get there, and it’s a matter if DJ catches it.  I think when Tomlin referred to the play to GP that’s what he was talking about.

Pure speculation and conjecture - I think the references to not working hard is being directed at the offense and in season signings. I won’t name names but there’s guys on the offense who’s scouting report pointed to the exact things Minkah and others are talking about. 

Tomlin at his press conference with the locker room as a backdrop:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47eklh366s4q49fpcmdm

Didn't love the comments about the 4th and 2 and his remarks to Minkah's quote. Just feels clueless.

Comparing a 4th and 2, must have situation to a 2nd and 9 right outside of field goal range is a stretch. I understand what he wants out of the comment, but it just feels like he wants to work so hard to say we are doing things well -- and it's pretty clear to every single person alive we are not. Just like it was clear Matt Canada was awful, but we had to keep "I see progress"-ing things. 

And definitely didn't feel like Minkah was asking his teammates to smile in the face of adversity. That felt like a huge stretch. Minkah is literally saying there are people that don't work hard enough and Tomlins response response brushes that off. 

I know he is trying to avoid everything, but man, I think it's okay sometimes to say "that was a bad call". IMO, he often speaks to fans as if we are dumb. Back up to that gif "there is nothing to see here! ....just ignore the coaching and the quotes from players..."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

Tomlin at his press conference with the locker room as a backdrop:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47eklh366s4q49fpcmdm

Didn't love the comments about the 4th and 2 and his remarks to Minkah's quote. Just feels clueless.

Comparing a 4th and 2, must have situation to a 2nd and 9 right outside of field goal range is a stretch. I understand what he wants out of the comment, but it just feels like he wants to work so hard to say we are doing things well -- and it's pretty clear to every single person alive we are not. Just like it was clear Matt Canada was awful, but we had to keep "I see progress"-ing things. 

And definitely didn't feel like Minkah was asking his teammates to smile in the face of adversity. That felt like a huge stretch. Minkah is literally saying there are people that don't work hard enough and Tomlins response response brushes that off. 

I know he is trying to avoid everything, but man, I think it's okay sometimes to say "that was a bad call". IMO, he often speaks to fans as if we are dumb. Back up to that gif "there is nothing to see here! ....just ignore the coaching and the quotes from players..."

there was a time here where I was one of the very few that was critical of tomlin .  Now , other fans  are also nearing the end, but yet the media still hypes him.   just tomlin being  tomlin as usual, expect a few more years of this thats all in the steeler way so they say

@Dcash4 the GIF is  IT xD