Can Steeler fans please stop?

rlon

I am sick of hearing about Cole being called for procedure over the offsides. If you are hell bent on acting like that decided the game, I feel bad for you. What decided the game is our overrated defense once again inconsistently performing and again breaking down for a period of time during a crucial game…and of course our chronically inept offense. The game mismanagement by the coaching staff also contributed much more than the penalty. The Steelers just consistently malfunction for extended periods of time in games in the Tomlin era. And, there is no period more indicative of a sample than the last two games. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rlon said:

I am sick of hearing about Cole being called for procedure over the offsides. If you are hell bent on acting like that decided the game, I feel bad for you. What decided the game is our overrated defense once again inconsistently performing and again breaking down for a period of time during a crucial game…and of course our chronically inept offense. The game mismanagement by the coaching staff also contributed much more than the penalty. The Steelers just consistently malfunction for extended periods of time in games in the Tomlin era. And, there is no period more indicative of a sample than the last two games. 

you never had me blame cole for the majority of  that loss. My list would include much of what you brought up, all of which will probably continue unless the HC can sit down with the OC and make adjustments for - wait  - we have a QB that appears lost out there so forget it. 

Last 2 games were failures in many areas . Thats why it's not 5up 5down but rather 12down  -_-.

Cole wasn't the one that got the penalty, it was the LS Kuntz  . What a lame penalty, everyone knows it too.  

thee last 4 games will be entertaining no doubt, especially since we know Mitch will be the QB until KP returns.  

11 hours ago, 3rivers said:

you never had me blame cole for the majority of  that loss. My list would include much of what you brought up, all of which will probably continue unless the HC can sit down with the OC and make adjustments for - wait  - we have a QB that appears lost out there so forget it. 

Last 2 games were failures in many areas . Thats why it's not 5up 5down but rather 12down  -_-.

Cole wasn't the one that got the penalty, it was the LS Kuntz  . What a lame penalty, everyone knows it too.  

thee last 4 games will be entertaining no doubt, especially since we know Mitch will be the QB until KP returns.  

Doh, yes I meant Kuntz. I confused Cole with him because Cole is playing like the singular form of what our LS’s name sounds like.

this team currently has major issues, and probably not easily fixed quickly either.  I would be surprised if the team turned it around right away. They might steal a win, especially if the other team plays like us -_-

Cole gets picked on but so many others get credit for this state of the team. 

colbert opts for mitch on a 2 year deal .  Browns get SB winner from the past QB off the couch who we had several close games against and for much less ($8M full season vs $370 800 for the partial season though ) .  It's FO decisions like these that can make or break a team , because injuries are part of the game and who  is the next player in line to start/play? Having a QB take up $8M yet he can't win a game vs the 2 worst teams spells one of the biggest blunders a GM can make. 

Last offseason I wanted canada fired black monday and then trade mitch. Now look what is going on - Flacco is going to have the browns take our playoff spot 👏

We would be a waste in the playoffs anyways unless there is a major turnaround.  We are also in the middle of the draft most likely, another waste if they want to get a new QB because thye will go earlier according to many. Daniels might have the Heisman  curse though  

Edited by 3rivers

Listen, for those not actually paying attention, let me spell some things out for you that apparently is being overlooked.

Just on offense we need the following:

new C - Idgaf about the penalties, Mason Cole is terrible.

new OT (to replace Dan Moore/Chuks Okorafor and play opposite Jones)

We need a true #1 WR and dominant slot receiver 

We need to move on from Najee Harris he isn't a good fit for this offense imo. 

We also MIGHT need a new QB.

On defense:

DE to play opposite Cam

DE to succeed Cam when he retires

Coverage ILB

Enforcer ILB

Man cover corner to play opposite JPP

Nickel Corner

Strong safety

On ST:

New Punter

On the staff:

New Offensive Coordinator, not some retread, an innovative up and Comer with an expansive playbook

A new DC

A New QB, WR, TE, OL, LB, DL, Secondary coach

A new ST coach.

If you get all of the above in 2024, then in 2025 we need a new HC.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

What is my point? We are VERY LONG WAY from being a good team again, there is no quick fix.

We’re a very spoiled fan base who hasn’t needed a rebuild in this millennium and typically fixes have been as easy as some suggest. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

Idgaf about the penalties,

dilligaf about the snaps though ¬¬

everything you mention is what I want in order to be able to tolerate watching this team again.  GP is a true WR1 but he is getting ruined here. 

yes !  , you are right 100% here

On the staff:

a new HC, but that isn't happening. Therefore, why care about the rest? Unless the QB whoever that is, ends up carrying the team, this is what we are as he would say.  

Mr.529

Edited by 3rivers

57 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

a new HC, but that isn't happening. Therefore, why care about the rest? Unless the QB whoever that is, ends up carrying the team, this is what we are as he would say.  

Mr.529

If you are going to do something like that to try to “insult” the coach at least be able to use his actual winning percentage.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

If you are going to do something like that to try to “insult” the coach at least be able to use his actual winning percentage.

this  .529 is winning % and  is more in line for the times. Not .500 because of the 17 game schedule.   

I don't care so much about his so called 'actual' winning percentage as much as where we have been at and where we are going.   I'n not all  negative about it, I had the decency to make the name gold as in gold jacket     and also  realize canada has  a  significant contribution to the recent years of bad offence .  So much that, I actually am not sure about KP, he has his flaws but just what will/can he do with a decent to good OC I have no idea.

There are lots of people to credit for Mr.529,    but there is no need to go into this that much anymore.  He has his positive and negative qualities.   We either get used to it and hope for great drafts  and UFA signings or we  are going to see another marvin lewis bungle type team minus the criminal element and players of that type.

colbert deserves to be brought up for the tomlin decline, because he contributed to the decline IMO.  While we might think Khan is much better, the fact they kept canada and mitch doesn't look good either so this FO might still be a question mark  too.

On 12/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, rlon said:

I am sick of hearing about Cole being called for procedure over the offsides. If you are hell bent on acting like that decided the game, I feel bad for you.

I think that everyone is sick of the NFL's refusal to get full time refs. The NFL talks about the integrity of the shield and game. Yet they seem to refuse to do things like get full time refs and increase the game day roster to ensure player safety. This thing of guessing which players to sit and not being able to "predict" who gets hurt or not is ludicrous.  Despite how bad the team played, that one play "could have" resulted in helping them win. Rarely does one play determine the outcome, but some plays are certainly more critical than others.

What decided the game is our overrated defense once again inconsistently performing and again breaking down for a period of time during a crucial game…and of course our chronically inept offense.

Truth! 100%

The game mismanagement by the coaching staff also contributed much more than the penalty.

It didn't help, but certainly contributed. Again. If they got that first down from the off-sides penalty, perhaps they close the game out with a TD or run the clock down so far and kick a last second FG.

The Steelers just consistently malfunction for extended periods of time in games in the Tomlin era. And, there is no period more indicative of a sample than the last two games. 

The team realistically is probably where they should be. They stole some games they should have lost and lost some games, they should have won. This is the bad part of rebuilding. This has also been a pattern of the Tomlin era. There is good and there is bad. I think everyone is getting frustrated from the past several years and not being a "true contender."

3 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

Listen, for those not actually paying attention, let me spell some things out for you that apparently is being overlooked.

7maXTIhB3O9nPfUu7qcLuAriQ9I.jpg

We hear you!!! Paying attention!

Mason's play regressed from last year. He looks like a back-up in 2023. The team missed opportunities to address this going back several years and then got caught when  Pouncey decided to retire early. Center should be very high and I would go with a veteran and draft my potential franchise C.

We definitely need some help in the WR room. I am not sure if it is the scheme or the players. I think Pickens can be that guy despite some hiccups and development in his route tree and overall game. DJ will be here for another year, but they need to be prepared to move on after 2024 and get another WR. 

Slot has been an issue since prime Ju Ju. I think Allen Robinson could be used much more effectively than he has been, but he is not the long term answer there.

This is the era of two RB's. I think everyone was expecting Najee to be a top tier RB. I think he is much better than given credit for. The OL has been his achilles heel and not his lack of effort or running. He is a thumper and a between the tackles runner. He is not explosive, but with Jalen, he is the perfect compliment. I think they need one another to BOTH be effective. One without the other is not as good.

Plus I think Najee is a locker room guy that this team needs. Not enough ALPHA'S on offense. He has heart and what he may lack in overall talent, he can make up in effort and leadership.

Jury still out on that one. You may be right. I need to see another year. Year three will be critical for me.

On defense:

DE to play opposite Cam

DE to succeed Cam when he retires

I agree on both.  The DeMarvin experiment has not worked. They need some help there. Truthfully, Loudermilk has improved and may be an answer or a decent depth piece.

Coverage ILB

Enforcer ILB

I agree. I am also keeping Elandon for another year. They need that stability. He has really stepped up his play. I am not sure how Holecomb and Kwon rebound from serious injuries.

Man cover corner to play opposite JPP

As much as I may hate spending more $$$ on the defense, I am signing Jaylon Johnson from Chicago. He is not a huge name, but a very good player who would be a good fit in Pittsburgh.

Nickel Corner

Draft a Nickel guy and we also have Corey Trice and Darius Rush to develop outside.

Strong safety

Been needing a Robin or Kato to go opposite Minkah.

On ST:

New Punter

I was probably one of the biggest Percy Harvin fans, but he has been far too inconsistent during his tenure. It is time for an upgrade.

On the staff:

New Offensive Coordinator, not some retread, an innovative up and Comer with an expansive playbook

Hard to name names right now, but I agree completely.  This has been an issue for a while.  I think they have a pretty extensive search as they did with replacing Mr. Colbert. One guy that comes to mind is Pep Hamilton, but I think he is already an OC in Houston?

A new DC

Tough losing Brian Flores. He wants to be a HC, but even more than a DC, I think that Coach Tomlin needs a good Assistant HC. My guy there is Mike Munchak.  He helps on the OL, the offensive side of the ball (locker room) and can help with some game planning, challenges, etc.

On the defensive side, I may look at bringing Jack Del Rio in. The Steelers can use some extra coaches as they have one of the smallest staffs. I think this may help DC Austin with some things. Being a good HC, OC, or DC also depends on having good players.

A New QB, WR, TE, OL, LB, DL, Secondary coach

That is a lot of disruption. I think having a good OC and a Assistant HC on the offensive side Mike Munchak would reduce some of the wholesale changes.  I agree that I would consider a new WR, OL, and secondary coach.  Hard to blame LB with the injuries there and the fact that he got solid play from Cole, Kwon, and Elandon before injuries.

A new ST coach.

Unfortunately, I don't think this will happen. 😡I've been saying this for the past several years, but that ain't happening. They seem to love Danny Smith. The coverage teams have actually not been horrible, but the punting game has been bad. I put that more on Harvin than coaching.

If you get all of the above in 2024, then in 2025 we need a new HC.

I have not been in the fire Mike Tomlin crowd, but I am strongly looking at that. He and Kenny will be tied together. I agree that 2024 will be critical. I am not sure that I extend him this off season. His contract ends after 2024. I would wait until I see what happens these last four games and next year with the changes.  If you change too quickly, you may limit yourself with coordinators. No coordinator will want to hitch his wagon to a one year deal and potentially being out of work the next year.

Good post and pretty honest and accurate assessment.👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

He is actually referencing something that I said about fans wanting more than being 9-8.  I used the term of being .529 or 530 because it is more than 500 and fans are tired of hearing about no losing season. It was actually meant to be facetious. But as you see many are ready to move on from Coach Tomlin already. You know where I stand on the "insults" and Tomlin hate for the sake of Tomlin hate. 

These losses are real and it has given the organization and him a "terrible" black and gold eye.

57d6f949ac9e2.jpg

DE to play opposite CaM^^^^^^^^^

Here is where I think we have some flexibility in terms of the draft. I really think they can either draft a big NT who can also push the pocket OR get the eventual replacement for Cam. Benton can play DE, rush tackle, or NT. Sweat can push the pocket and Mason Smith could be a DE/rush tackle. Day 2 targets…lMO.