Stat watch

Louis Friend

Posted (edited)

I don’t know of any other thread to put this in, put I’m continuing to beat this drum that IDL is our biggest concern by far. 

Per Brett Kollmann on twitter-

Let's call this the Jer'Zhan Newton index -- The worst 10 teams in interior DL pass rush win rate.

Vikings - 8.6% (my god)

Jags - 11.1%

Pats - 13.4%

Cards - 13.6%

Saints - 14.4%

Chargers - 14.5%

Lions - 15.1%

Titans - 15.3%

Raiders - 15.4%

Falcons - 15.5%

How many playoff teams do you see up there? How many division winners? How many superbowl contenders? Brad Holmes NEEDS to address this. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I don’t know of any other thread to put this in, put I’m continuing to beat this drum that IDL is our biggest concern by far. 

Per Brett Kollmann on twitter-

Let's call this the Jer'Zhan Newton index -- The worst 10 teams in interior DL pass rush win rate.

Vikings - 8.6% (my god)

Jags - 11.1%

Pats - 13.4%

Cards - 13.6%

Saints - 14.4%

Chargers - 14.5%

Lions - 15.1%

Titans - 15.3%

Raiders - 15.4%

Falcons - 15.5%

How many playoff teams do you see up there? How many division winners? How many superbowl contenders? Brad Holmes NEEDS to address this. 

To be fair, the Jags and Saints are leading their divisions and likely to be in the playoffs and the Vikings and Falcons had a chance at the playoffs until last week. 

IDL is definitely a need, but I don't think its a bigger need than CB or even our other edge position since our IDL has been pretty great against the run. 

21 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

To be fair, the Jags and Saints are leading their divisions and likely to be in the playoffs and the Vikings and Falcons had a chance at the playoffs until last week. 

IDL is definitely a need, but I don't think its a bigger need than CB or even our other edge position since our IDL has been pretty great against the run. 

Those are our 3 top needs but I’d argue lack of pass rush in the middle is partly why our EDGE and secondary are so bad. QBs have all day to throw by just doubling Aidan and stepping up into the pocket because no one else is getting through. Alim does a little but not nearly enough and there’s nothing next to or behind him.

And before anyone says Brodric, if he could provide anything right now, he wouldn’t have been a healthy scratch all season. Now maybe he turns into something down the line, but that does nothing now. 

Holmes has to sign or draft some IDL help, more than a washed up Tyson Alualu, who was a healthy scratch for weeks, finally active one game and was one of the worst graded defensive players for the game. (Benito Jones graded at the worst overall btw)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louis Friend said:

Those are our 3 top needs but I’d argue lack of pass rush in the middle is partly why our EDGE and secondary are so bad. QBs have all day to throw by just doubling Aidan and stepping up into the pocket because no one else is getting through. Alim does a little but not nearly enough and there’s nothing next to or behind him.

And before anyone says Brodric, if he could provide anything right now, he wouldn’t have been a healthy scratch all season. Now maybe he turns into something down the line, but that does nothing now. 

Holmes has to sign or draft some IDL help, more than a washed up Tyson Alualu, who was a healthy scratch for weeks, finally active one game and was one of the worst graded defensive players for the game. (Benito Jones graded at the worst overall btw)

I pretty much agree with all of this and have been banging this drum as well. Control the middle of the field, you more than likely control the game. I'm ready to start feeding some hog mollies.

30 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I pretty much agree with all of this and have been banging this drum as well. Control the middle of the field, you more than likely control the game. I'm ready to start feeding some hog mollies.

I’m of the belief that games are won in the trenches. We see how our run game came alive with a good OL and also sets up our play action game. Our secondary cannot cover for 7-10 second every snap and be expected not to break down. Our rush defence is great. I give full kudos for that. Our guys know how to attack their gaps. But we have next to no pass rush. It’s no wonder why our secondary looks great the last few weeks as we’ve dialed up the blitz to rile up the opposing QB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

I agree for sure, my point was just that other teams are winning without elite pass rushing up the middle.  I think the lack of blitzing throughout the year made it harder for our DT's because the OL didn't have to think too hard and just man up and block them.  Now with the threat of a LB or S coming in, the whole line has more to think about and we get better pressure. 

I have double dipped at DT in every mock I have done though, or at least grabbed one of the 290lb DE's that can swing inside and get some pass rush when needed.  Holmes has tried with Onwuzurike, Paschal, and Martin and none are panning out much inside.  Paschal is improving on the edge but isnt big enough to stay inside much even on passing downs. So grabbing a couple guys IMO will help further along our DL unless we can sign someone like Chris Jones in the offseason.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I agree for sure, my point was just that other teams are winning without elite pass rushing up the middle.  I think the lack of blitzing throughout the year made it harder for our DT's because the OL didn't have to think too hard and just man up and block them.  Now with the threat of a LB or S coming in, the whole line has more to think about and we get better pressure. 

I have double dipped at DT in every mock I have done though, or at least grabbed one of the 290lb DE's that can swing inside and get some pass rush when needed.  Holmes has tried with Onwuzurike, Paschal, and Martin and none are panning out much inside.  Paschal is improving on the edge but isnt big enough to stay inside much even on passing downs. So grabbing a couple guys IMO will help further along our DL unless we can sign someone like Chris Jones in the offseason.  

That was my issue with Paschal pre draft. He’s a good run stuffing DE but he’s not big enough to be inside and doesn’t have the pass rush ability to play outside. It’s why I had a 4th rd grade on him. 

I hope Martin can develop into a rotational DT. I still have no faith in Onwuzurike. 

10 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

That was my issue with Paschal pre draft. He’s a good run stuffing DE but he’s not big enough to be inside and doesn’t have the pass rush ability to play outside. It’s why I had a 4th rd grade on him. 

I hope Martin can develop into a rotational DT. I still have no faith in Onwuzurike. 

I have little faith in either Martin or Onwuzurike to be honest.  I was wrong about Iffy but I think everyone is shocked at his development this year so maybe Martin can do the same but he is so raw and rough that its going to take a lot of determination on his part to become a rotational player even.  Very rarely does a player go from healthy inactive for most of the season to solid starter in the league but fingers crossed he does.  Levi I think will be gone next year just given he only has one year left and hasn't played well enough to be active half of the year.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I have little faith in either Martin or Onwuzurike to be honest.  I was wrong about Iffy but I think everyone is shocked at his development this year so maybe Martin can do the same but he is so raw and rough that its going to take a lot of determination on his part to become a rotational player even.  Very rarely does a player go from healthy inactive for most of the season to solid starter in the league but fingers crossed he does.  Levi I think will be gone next year just given he only has one year left and hasn't played well enough to be active half of the year.  

I never had doubts on Iffys ability, his issues were injuries and a change of position. I’m so happy for him to work through it and see him finding success. 

Brodric has been a healthy scratch at a position we’ve lacked bodies. That really speaks volumes about where he’s at. He seems like a really sweet kid, and has a baby on the way, but unless he really turns things around, I don't see it. I hope I’m wrong. But his roster spot doesn’t prevent me from wanting to address the position. 

The good thing about this draft is that it’s deep at DL & OL. I’ve been doubling up on both in my mocks. Not even out of need but just because there are so many good options at those picks. 

• Like 1

To get back on topic here, below is what is needed to reach milestones:

Monty - 25 yards to have 1,000 and has 12 TDs
Gibbs - 85 yards and 1 TD to get 1,000 yards and 10 TDs
ARSB - Needs 1 TD to get to 10 TDs
Laporta - Needs 140 yards and 1 TD to get to 1,000 yards and 10 TDs

I doubt they all get there but I think Monty is a sure bet to get his 1k and there is a very good chance Gibbs gets his and ARSB gets his TD.  Its not out of the world to see all of them getting there given Laporta blew up last time we played MN but TDs are pretty random so not sure they all get there.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

there is a very good chance Gibbs gets his

Has Gibbs ever had 85 rushing yards this season though? I think they would have to force feed him and I seriously doubt they do that in a meaningless game right before the playoffs.