2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

#Hokies LB Tremaine Edmund's 1st unofficial 40-yard dash:  4.55

6044, 253 pounds, 34.5" arm

FREAK!

And he's only 19. If he was 22 or 23 like a lot of guys coming out he'd probabbly re running around a tenth quicker.

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Just another reason that I would really like to trade out of the #9 pick and am really looking at Buffalo as a trading partner. At 21/22, I like the idea of Wynn or Guice or Carter or Josh Jackson or Oliver or Hughes just as much as anyone who would be there at 9 with the exception of maybe Quenton Nelson. Roquan is borderline for me. 

My dream too.  But too many teams ahead of us are better targets for Buffalo

Just now, big9erfan said:

My dream too.  But too many teams ahead of us are better targets for Buffalo

For sure. I wouldn't even need both their firsts though. Their later first, later second, and a fourth is about right. We would really have to hope that the Jets or Denver lands Cousins as well. If Cousins goes to Minny, Buffalo would have to get a lot higher than 9 to get their quarterback. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I wass thinking a possible candidate for our second pick if we went with a CB in the first. Not sure if he'll last til then.

Trust me, you don't want him that early. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

For sure. I wouldn't even need both their firsts though. Their later first, later second, and a fourth is about right. We would really have to hope that the Jets or Denver lands Cousins as well. If Cousins goes to Minny, Buffalo would have to get a lot higher than 9 to get their quarterback. 

Yeah, having a team picking ahead of us take Cousins could make a big difference.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Trust me, you don't want him that early. 

Maybe a moot poiint. I had us taking Ward in my mock but that was before the Foster incident.  I'm thinking that Smith and Edmunds are a lot more likely candidates for us now.

No meniton here of Davenport. I've been beating the drum about not being able to afford missing on our high draft pick. That's why I like Ward and Smith so much.  I think both are as close to "can't miss" as it gets. Still, the chance at a stud pass rusher who we could lock up for 5 years on a rookie contract is really appealing.  I like what I saw of him.  Not technically sound, but he came from a small school program.  So I'm assuming there's lots of room to improve. So add that to his physical traits and I'm giving some thought to taking that risk.

Just now, big9erfan said:

Maybe a moot poiint. I had us taking Ward in my mock but that was before the Foster incident.  I'm thinking that Smith and Edmunds are a lot more likely candidates for us now.

I'm really torn on that first pick. Even if we signed Trumaine Johnson, I still wouldn't hate Denzel Ward at #9, but Roquan or Edmunds with Foster is pretty nasty. But it also depends on Malcolm Smith. If you believe what the reports were last year, he looked really good for us back at his natural Will position. But 9 is probably too high for Daniels or Wynn. Ridley could make some sense, but there are more pressing needs and he's the only receiver I'm even stopping for a second on to think about. Davenport is super raw, probably not going to have a tremendous impact as a first year player in my opinion, so that's more of a long play. I think Key and Landry are round 2/3 guys, so that's not an option. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm really torn on that first pick. Even if we signed Trumaine Johnson, I still wouldn't hate Denzel Ward at #9, but Roquan or Edmunds with Foster is pretty nasty. But it also depends on Malcolm Smith. If you believe what the reports were last year, he looked really good for us back at his natural Will position. But 9 is probably too high for Daniels or Wynn. Ridley could make some sense, but there are more pressing needs and he's the only receiver I'm even stopping for a second on to think about. Davenport is super raw, probably not going to have a tremendous impact as a first year player in my opinion, so that's more of a long play. I think Key and Landry are round 2/3 guys, so that's not an option. 

Add these guys to the list of guys we could take at 21/22 if we could work out the miracle trade with Buffal;o

FWIW - I'm so uncertain about what to do with 9 that I'm also tthinking abnout Connor Williams.  I was really impressed with his athleticism. Looks like he could be a stud OT.  If I waas sure that he could also play G for a couple of years I think I would definitely puthim in the mix for me.

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

FWIW - I'm so uncertain about what to do with 9 that I'm also tthinking abnout Connor Williams.  I was really impressed with his athleticism. Looks like he could be a stud OT.  If I waas sure that he could also play G for a couple of years I think I would definitely puthim in the mix for me.

I actually have never loved Williams. Don't consider him a first rounder. Also has very short arms for a tackle at 33. Certainly  has the athleticism for it, but he's slight with short arms and I don't love that combination on the outside. His tape is also a mixed bag this year (was great last year) when healthy. 

20 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Nice day across the board for BC’s Harold Landry...

4.64 40
36” Vertical
9’11 Broad
6.88 3 Cone
4.19 20yd Shuttle

#NFLCombine2018

Man, what to do with Landry. These are better numbers than I thought he was going to get, admittedly, though we all knew he was a tremendously quick and fluid athlete. Still wonder if his best fit isn't as a stand up olb rushing edge. I'm still not sold on him being a consistent rusher at the next level. 

Chubb had somewhat of a subpar 3 cone time, but I overall I really liked his numbers and I think he's going to be a good fit as a pass rushing 4-3 hand in the dirt edge. 

Archived