Potential Steelers QBs in 2024 Draft

As the title suggests I've been looking into quarterbacks for the Steelers for the 2024 season. These are quarterbacks that we can take in the draft anywhere from around 1:00 to round seven or priority free agent. There's a couple guys that I really find intriguing and would like some feedback on what you guys think about some of these guys. Let's get started!

Washington State QB Cam Ward 6'2 220

Career stats:

643 completions 982 attempts 7.1 y/a 7.3 ay/a 48 touchdowns 16 interceptions

When I watch Cam Ward play I see Justin Herbert. Yes he's shorter than Herbert but the ball explodes out of his hand. He has a nice tight spiral that goes from A to B in the blink of an eye. He can make any throw on the field and excels throwing it deep. 

Ward has good pocket awareness and will wait the extra second for his guy to get separation. Ward makes NFL level throws into coverage. What I mean is he doesn't need to see a receiver beat a guy by 3 yards before he throws it to them. He actually is good at throwing his guy open. His spot placement is good and he does a really good job of looking off defenders. Ward has great scrambling ability and will use it to extend the pass play or scramble for yards when needed. 

Ward's late entry into the 2024 NFL Draft caught many off guard and could alter many teams draft boards leading up to the draft. Is Cam Ward a first round QB? I think so which could allow you to get his 5th year option.

Edited by armsteeld
Spelling

Washington QB Michael Penix 6'3 218

Career stats

1040 completions 1634 attempts 63.6 comp% 13486 yards 8.3 y/a 8.5 ay/a 95 touchdowns 32 interceptions 

For those that remember, years ago I thought Michael Penix was the best QB prospect when he was at Indiana. Arm strength? ✓ Size?✓ Ball placement? ✓ Ability to stand in the pocket?✓ Throw his guy open?✓ Ability to scramble?✓ Penix met all my requirements but he stayed injured and couldn't finish a season. Most of that was due to how bad his OL as at Indiana. Since he transferred to Washington, Penix has Ben one of the best QBs.

What does Penix do best? He's a rhythmic passer who can throw the ball into tight windows. He has a fast throwing motion which zips the ball quickly to where he wants it to go. Penix also excels at reading defenses and getting the ball to the weak spot of your defense. Penix also excels at throwing the deep ball to spots where the defender is unable to get to the ball unless they commit a penalty. He has faith in his talented WRs and will throw it to them regarding of the defenders proximity.

Medicals will be huge for Penix. My NFL comparison for Penix is left handed CJ Stroud. Many would compare him to Tua but I think he's more aggressive throwing the ball. Is he a first round talent? Yes. Will he go in the first round? Medicals will play a huge part but if you want an attacking QB who pushes the ball down field, then Michael Penix is your guy.

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Career stats

1040 completions 1634 attempts 63.6 comp% 13486 yards 8.3 y/a 8.5 ay/a 95 touchdowns 32 interceptions 

For those that remember, years ago I thought Michael Penix was the best QB prospect when he was at Indiana. Arm strength? ✓ Size?✓ Ball placement? ✓ Ability to stand in the pocket?✓ Throw his guy open?✓ Ability to scramble?✓ Penix met all my requirements but he stayed injured and couldn't finish a season. Most of that was due to how bad his OL as at Indiana. Since he transferred to Washington, Penix has Ben one of the best QBs.

What does Penix do best? He's a rhythmic passer who can throw the ball into tight windows. He has a fast throwing motion which zips the ball quickly to where he wants it to go. Penix also excels at reading defenses and getting the ball to the weak spot of your defense. Penix also excels at throwing the deep ball to spots where the defender is unable to get to the ball unless they commit a penalty. He has faith in his talented WRs and will throw it to them regarding of the defenders proximity.

Medicals will be huge for Penix. My NFL comparison for Penix is left handed CJ Stroud. Many would compare him to Tua but I think he's more aggressive throwing the ball. Is he a first round talent? Yes. Will he go in the first round? Medicals will play a huge part but if you want an attacking QB who pushes the ball down field, then Michael Penix is your guy.

I think his accuracy and timing are elite. His pocket footwork is under rated.
I'm a Penix fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

As the title suggests I've been looking into quarterbacks for the Steelers for the 2024 season. These are quarterbacks that we can take in the draft anywhere from around 1:00 to round seven or priority free agent. There's a couple guys that I really find intriguing and would like some feedback on what you guys think about some of these guys. Let's get started!

Career stats:

When I watch Cam Ward play I see Justin Herbert. Yes he's shorter than Herbert but the ball explodes out of his hand. He has a nice tight spiral that goes from A to B in the blink of an eye. He can make any throw on the field and excels throwing it deep. 

Ward has good pocket awareness and will wait the extra second for his guy to get separation. Ward makes NFL level throws into coverage. What I mean is he doesn't need to see a receiver beat a guy by 3 yards before he throws it to them. He actually is good at throwing his guy open. His spot placement is good and he does a really good job of looking off defenders. Ward has great scrambling ability and will use it to extend the pass play or scramble for yards when needed. 

Ward's late entry into the 2024 NFL Draft caught many off guard and could alter many teams draft boards leading up to the draft. Is Cam Ward a first round QB? I think so which could allow you to get his 5th year option.

What's with the love for Fields? 🤏

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Career stats

Ever heard of a guy named Rod Rutherford? 🥵

51 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

Where is Penix expected to be drafted? 

middle of the draft is still in reach, but the more we win now, the less chance we have even if we move up. :(

4th round is a bit of a fall. Any takers in the 7th?? 🏭🥾

3 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Career stats:

Cam Ward had 16 INTs and 15 lost fumbles in his two seasons at Washington. He has an exciting arm but he’s much too big of a project to be a 1st round QB..

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Cam Ward had 16 INTs and 15 lost fumbles in his two seasons at Washington. He has an exciting arm but he’s much too big of a project to be a 1st round QB..

Josh Allen had 21 interceptions

Aaron Rodgers had 13

Justin Herbert had 23

Lamar Jackson had 27

The list goes on. You also have to factor in surrounding talent, scheme, & how the interception was made/thrown.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Josh Allen had 21 interceptions

Aaron Rodgers had 13

Justin Herbert had 23

Lamar Jackson had 27

The list goes on. You also have to factor in surrounding talent, scheme, & how the interception was made/thrown.

and may as well factor in how KP/canada had hardly any INT's, but of course not many TD's eitherxD

of all these QB' s in the draft, how would you rank them regarding being clutch and rallying the team from a deficit in the 4th quarter?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Where is Penix expected to be drafted? 

middle of the draft is still in reach, but the more we win now, the less chance we have even if we move up. :(

He'll go RD 1. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

where will Penix be in RD1

Depends on workouts, etc.
I personally think he should be the 3rd QB, above Nix, but after Williams and Maye.
Nix is similar to KP for me, but a bit more athletic and a bit bigger arm.

• Like 1