What would you do as Bears as this point?

dll2000

Bears Choices  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do as Bears at this point?

• Draft Caleb Williams #1 Overall and trade Fields
    • Draft other QB #1 Overall and trade Fields
    • Keep Fields and trade #1 Overall
    • Draft QB (first 2 rounds) and keep Fields
    • Trade #1 Overall and draft QB either at #9 or other first round slot acquired in trade

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/16/2024 at 03:20 AM

Have we seen *any* draft prospect signal or say "I don't want to play there, don't draft me [Team]" since Eli said he wouldn't play for the Chargers?  That was in an era where the player had a lot more leverage since the drafting team still needed to negotiate a contract with their draft pick.  Now those are all slotted, so other than a couple of issues the contracts are automatic.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Did he though? I remember his father saying something about talking to former players and coaches and how the number one pick gets put into the worst spot. But never heard Williams himself say anything of the sort. And also, if he IS wanting to avoid the worst spot then CHI would be a place where he would be avoiding it. They only have 1.1 due to CAR, and how many teams first overall will have Mooney, Kmet, 3 solid OL before the FA/draft, and two solid RBs? C is a sieve and will get upgraded, hopefully someone is picked up to at least push Davis at RG. They have the ammo to get a top WR with 1.9 as well, and the defense has improved a LOT since trading for Sweat. Add in plenty of cap space to correct those spots (especially when Whitehair and EJax get cut) and it's far from the normal situation a top pick walks into. His dad also said something about him earning more money in the NIL, which is just a ludicrous and stupid statement to make IMO.  At this point I am assuming his dad is a wannabe LaVar Ball. And naturally any time he likes a comment or post people try to over analyze it to the nth degree. (Honestly I'd love to just mess with media and fans, just go on a weird binge of liking posts about alpacas and flat earth one month, go normal, then swing the complete opposite way like 6 months later  lol)

As for the ownership part, when has that been confirmed anyway? IDK much about sources but remember Florio being the one who reported that - which makes it dubious in itself. Florio has been one to spin clickbait articles from whatever he could. Literally someone could have just asked Williams, "Wouldn't it be cool to own a franchise?" All Williams would have to say is "sure" and Florio would be happy to spin his own narrative to get attention. Plus it doesn't even matter if anyone wants equity, the NFL outright denied it from being able to happen when it was said that Rodgers wanted it. So it is a moot point even if it would be true.

If there are concerns about Williams' personality then that's fine, and I could definitely see that being the case. Hell it NEEDS to be under a microscope if you're investing that much into the kid. But basing it on ramblings of his father and a rumor from Florio would be a weak support for an argument against him.

I don't follow college football all that closely, so I'm just going on things I've heard.  I do remember seeing a list of about 5-6 teams that he didn't want to play for.  As you said, when you're giving up the #1 overall, you want to be very picky.  I don't doubt that he would be a better QB than Fields is, but the thing about Fields is that he's a great guy and everybody loves him.  You would hate going from that to a guy who is an unlikable jerk, but I guess if we're winning, at least he's our jerk.  LOL.

16 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Its hard to say. Poles sold the need to scrap the roster and to do a complete rebuild so I assume the minimum expected time would be 3 years, but Warren was hired AFTER Poles. Who do the morons at the top of the franchise really support? I could see them refusing to let Warren fire Poles until he gets a second HC and I could see the morons letting Poles get scrapped and telling Poles, "Sorry, we put football operations in Kevin's hands. He's the boss on that side." 

Pace drafted Fields and was fired the very next year, along with his second inept coach. So that makes me feel like Poles still would get his second HC choice, likely vetted and approved by Warren to allow it.

Pace drafting Fields was always wild to me. The man had quite literally the hottest seat in the league, it was a miracle he didn't get fired earlier. How you let that guy draft another QB after Trubisky is beyond me.