Crazy unprecedented offseason….

rlon

Adrenaline going, slightly disappointed, but nonetheless proud of the Steelers and going to do something creative before the negativity of my imminent morning return to jail hits me. On the pretense that we trade Tomlin  to the Washington for all of their picks in the first four rounds and for all of our picks after the first for rounds, I give you my pro football network mock that combines the two teams selecting:

Round 1

Marvin Harrison Jr.

WR Ohio State

Taliese Fuaga

OT Oregon State

Round 2

Michael Penix Jr.

QB Washington

Tyler Nubin

S Minnesota

Jackson Powers-Johnson

OC Oregon

Round 3

Ruke Orhorhoro

DT Clemson

Kris Abrams-Draine

CB Missouri

Tommy Eichenberg

LB Ohio State

Audric Estime

RB Notre Dame

Round 4

Khyree Jackson

CB Oregon

Ricky Pearsall

WR Florida

Tykee Smith

SS GeorgIa

PROJECTED 2024 Depth chart, after Ben Johnson is named the head coach of course and with free agency consideration of who will be here:

Offense

QB Mason, Pickett, Penix (real 3 way competition this time)

RB Harris, Warren, Estime

WR Pickens, MHjr, Johnson, Austin, Pearsal, Boykin

TE Friermuth, Washington, Heyward, Williams

LT Jones, Moore

LG Seumalo, Anderson

OC Powers-Johnson, Cole

RG Daniels, Herbig

RT Fuaga, Cook

Defense

DL Heyward, FA JJ Watt, Benton, Orhorhoro, Leal, Adams, Loudermilk 

OLB Watt, Herbig, Highsmith, Golden

ILB Roberts, Holcomb, Eichenberg, Robinson, Jack, Alexander 

CB JPJ, FA Jones, Trice, Rush, Abrams-Drain, Jackson

S Fitzpatrick, Nubin, Kazee, Smith, Rowe, Killebrew 

New punter!!!

Edited by rlon

Tomlin is more likely to step away than be traded. 

Washington won’t give up 2 for him, it’s more likely to get the Bears 2nd 1st than that. Most traded coaches end up moving for a 15-22 pick. 

Taking Harrison over a QB is grounds for treason. 

as long as tomlin is here, there is no need to care enough to make mocks or even watch unless you are in the Mr.529 mindset

this team needs a major overhaul and it starts at the top

outscored 66-0 in the 1st quarter in the last 5 playoff games, thats his legacy

13 hours ago, warfelg said:

Tomlin is more likely to step away than be traded. 

Washington won’t give up 2 for him, it’s more likely to get the Bears 2nd 1st than that. Most traded coaches end up moving for a 15-22 pick. 

Taking Harrison over a QB is grounds for treason. 

The defense is really bad, and outside of scheme changes, its going to be hard to improve the DL when the class is in shambles. 

Harrison over Nabers is treason.

Im gonna make one major suggestion. Consider going after Chris Jones, whether KC lets him hit free agency or we have to trade something to KC after they tag him. Hes 29 years old. Javon Hargrave is 30 yrs old and was just signed to 4 years 84 million. Cam Heyward signed his last deal at 30 and we got great value out of that deal even this year was reasonable based on everything we got the last 3 years. Many DTS usually do well til about age 33-34. 

Im 100% releasing Patrick Peterson, Pressley Harvin, Allen Robinson & Mitch Trubisky. Saves 19 million in cap space. 

Id even go as far as suggesting sending Diontae Johson to the Chiefs who I have always thought would be a great fit there. I realize that leaves us light at the position but its also his last year, it is unlikely we renew his deal at any kind of top price tag. If it could be construed to get Jones an elite D-Lineman and not have to give up a high draft pick then Id do it in a heartbeat. Pay Jones 5 yrs 125 million. 65 million guaranteed.  If you have to go as high as 28 million Id consider it. 

Im doing that before Im paying some has been or never was QB that Im trying to force into being better than they are. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

23 hours ago, 3rivers said:

as long as tomlin is here, there is no need to care enough to make mocks or even watch unless you are in the Mr.529 mindset

this team needs a major overhaul and it starts at the top

outscored 66-0 in the 1st quarter in the last 5 playoff games, thats his legacy

I feel you bro. 

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I feel you bro. 

it's too bad it's like this. It's not that tomlin doesn't put in the hours or wants to win, but something has to change. Maybe he will change this year, more strict, more fundamentals (tackling, blocking, not fumbling etc) .  The coaching staff is an issue, but doesn't he have a say in the coaches?

I also think he is too nice to the vets, the leadership not proper .  Maybe he returns with an iron fist  but would it be too late for that?

Ironically, if this team was actually ready and didn't fumble and had a decent offensive plan, there is no reason to think the game couldn't have been won. Sure the refs might get the usual blame for the odd call, but being down a few scores early never helps. Then also the tackling, thats pathetic and needs to change. 

Bills brought the safety into the box, Mason should have had audible or alternative plays to go deep to get the safety out of the box. Instead, the steeler way is to ignore the defence and just run plays.  Tomlin could have stepped in and told the OC but never appears to and the weather wasn't bad either.

No chance vs KC anyways or SF etc.  See what they do with pick 20 in the draft and in UFA.  Not sure I will care though, just more of the same is all I expect from the AR2 steelers

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

it's too bad it's like this. It's not that tomlin doesn't put in the hours or wants to win, but something has to change. Maybe he will change this year, more strict, more fundamentals (tackling, blocking, not fumbling etc) .  The coaching staff is an issue, but doesn't he have a say in the coaches?

I also think he is too nice to the vets, the leadership not proper .  Maybe he returns with an iron fist  but would it be too late for that?

Ironically, if this team was actually ready and didn't fumble and had a decent offensive plan, there is no reason to think the game couldn't have been won. Sure the refs might get the usual blame for the odd call, but being down a few scores early never helps. Then also the tackling, thats pathetic and needs to change. 

Bills brought the safety into the box, Mason should have had audible or alternative plays to go deep to get the safety out of the box. Instead, the steeler way is to ignore the defence and just run plays.  Tomlin could have stepped in and told the OC but never appears to and the weather wasn't bad either.

No chance vs KC anyways or SF etc.  See what they do with pick 20 in the draft and in UFA.  Not sure I will care though, just more of the same is all I expect from the AR2 steelers

How can this be like this and then the next time like that

Besides the JJ Watt clown gaffe, he's down to like 240. The issue with the Steelers d line is you have a rotational 5 tech in Benton, as he is neither stout enough at the nose, nor adept as a pass rusher to play the 3 tech. Leal is out of position all over the place and needs to buckle up his chin strip and get some correct marching orders and start stacking weight on his quads and hammies, so he can come in at 305, and be at least a viable option along the defensive line. And then you got Heyward a 1/3/5 piece along the defensive line that you may even consider getting rid of, or retiring, or not being in the intermediate future. Then you have nothing behind them besides a busted up OG that's a pure cut player at anything above $5m a year. When he's coming in double that, something's gotta give, and it should be via the post June 1 cut to take his two year contract one year at a time. The depth behind that is not even NFL worthy or would be good on the practice squad.

I see the DL depth like this

DE: _________ / Benton

NT: ________ / 

DT: Heyward/Leal

That's as bad as the offensive line if not worse. It's clearly worse, and it's actually so dire you'd need five years of perfect drafting to get it right. Unless you went gung ho ball busting new york gangham style throwing three picks at it in a year and coming up empty twice, which brings who's calling the shots at drafting in question, given the questionable moves seen in the present, not too mention the distant past. When you think about it, the d line is the same as the o line, as this is what controls the game, so when you're constructing a line, it might be a good idea to consider different 1-2 combinations along the interior given their unique skillsets to create different fronts, twists, plays, and such so you control the line and not let the offensive line control you. Maybe that means you have a few quick 3 tech Mekhi Wingo and DeMarvin Leal run a series running stunts in our sub package with a blitz to control the front. It doesn't matter if they know what you're doing, because there's only so much a d line can do in terms of confusing nomenclature 🤓

Keith Randolph. Here's a guy who can hold the point of attack and can give you Benton three rounds later. When we're talking depth pieces, and we're desperate, and we don't know how a stud is, let's at least find a player that can be a valuable contributor in the range of valuable contributor. 5th/6th round. 

I like Lovett at the nose as a piece. He could handle the double. But obviously I would need a full collective approach to come up with anything more than a weak thesis at best.

Those two pieces, and you can't pick up any ice skates like Cam Thomas in free agency, because if he had any cleat they'd be in Heinz on Sunday. Not available to any rooster to sniff in what belongs to us.

• Like 1

Mekhi Wingo quickness (7.50) but with man strength. Stout at the point of attack with a brutal swim move. Can throw his body in there and hold the double as needed on highlights. Typical quarter pounder with cheese that the burg would love. 95 capable.

24 minutes ago, zflairway said:

Besides the JJ Watt clown gaffe, he's down to like 240. The issue with the Steelers d line is you have a rotational 5 tech in Benton, as he is neither stout enough at the nose, nor adept as a pass rusher to play the 3 tech. Leal is out of position all over the place and needs to buckle up his chin strip and get some correct marching orders and start stacking weight on his quads and hammies, so he can come in at 305, and be at least a viable option along the defensive line. And then you got Heyward a 1/3/5 piece along the defensive line that you may even consider getting rid of, or retiring, or not being in the intermediate future. Then you have nothing behind them besides a busted up OG that's a pure cut player at anything above $5m a year. When he's coming in double that, something's gotta give, and it should be via the post June 1 cut to take his two year contract one year at a time. The depth behind that is not even NFL worthy or would be good on the practice squad.

I see the DL depth like this

DE: _________ / Benton

NT: ________ / 

DT: Heyward/Leal

That's as bad as the offensive line if not worse. It's clearly worse, and it's actually so dire you'd need five years of perfect drafting to get it right. Unless you went gung ho ball busting new york gangham style throwing three picks at it in a year and coming up empty twice, which brings who's calling the shots at drafting in question, given the questionable moves seen in the present, not too mention the distant past. When you think about it, the d line is the same as the o line, as this is what controls the game, so when you're constructing a line, it might be a good idea to consider different 1-2 combinations along the interior given their unique skillsets to create different fronts, twists, plays, and such so you control the line and not let the offensive line control you. Maybe that means you have a few quick 3 tech Mekhi Wingo and DeMarvin Leal run a series running stunts in our sub package with a blitz to control the front. It doesn't matter if they know what you're doing, because there's only so much a d line can do in terms of confusing nomenclature 🤓

Keith Randolph. Here's a guy who can hold the point of attack and can give you Benton three rounds later. When we're talking depth pieces, and we're desperate, and we don't know how a stud is, let's at least find a player that can be a valuable contributor in the range of valuable contributor. 5th/6th round. 

I like Lovett at the nose as a piece. He could handle the double. But obviously I would need a full collective approach to come up with anything more than a weak thesis at best.

Those two pieces, and you can't pick up any ice skates like Cam Thomas in free agency, because if he had any cleat they'd be in Heinz on Sunday. Not available to any rooster to sniff in what belongs to us.

I agree with your overall perspective here about the state of the Dline and that Benton is a penetrator and not stout at all at this point. I was typing something up and somehow I lost it IDK lol. I dont think Leal has a place on this team, and is likely not on this roster on opening day, Tomlin suggested in the press conference that his lack of participation was a sign of his incapability to contribute at the necessary level and he had work to do to change that.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I agree with your overall perspective here about the state of the Dline and that Benton is a penetrator and not stout at all at this point. I was typing something up and somehow I lost it IDK lol. I dont think Leal has a place on this team, and is likely not on this roster on opening day, Tomlin suggested in the press conference that his lack of participation was a sign of his incapability to contribute at the necessary level and he had work to do to change that.

Look at 98 here on the right. His back is folded and is belly button is pointed up. He's not in a position to do anything besides injure his lower back. Look how much smaller he is than everyone else. During the rep, he dances around and looks like a cut player as in why are you even here. However, he is clearly receiving no instruction of any kind if that is how he is lined up on every single play. Not in a ready position. More core strength, flattening out his lower back, will put his body in a better tilt during his days stemming from a propensity to lay (on his off days) in the wrong position. Perhaps less couch and more lower half. Then we can maybe start some technique work in the offseason once he puts on 10 pounds from a correct assignment. But now we're talking about investing and revamping a coaching staff cooked since the days of the ole wily John Mitchell who got by on talent alone.

95 looks more like a typical 5 technique here even though we see him here at the 1 looking like a three on a penetrating assignment. I believe he has the lockout, size and strength, to hold the tackle, move him at will from his strong lower half, and control five gaps. Because he is not a guy who is going to beat guard up the field consistently on the interior, therefore, the only way to play him is strong side in the aero smith 🤘

On the second play, 95 stands straight up instead of being on a line. With a strong forward momentum starting with a quick jump off the ball, correct pad level, and the correct tangibles for the sauce. That will drive the guard on his toes and then you can start playing ripping through his being.

On the third play, Loudermilk in a good volleyball stance. OG shouldn't even be mentioned but here is in a better position than play two. 95 here with just not the get off or power to be in a position to run train. He's more in a same strength disposition which is ideal to control a man and play a passive game with the offensive lineman (i.e. strongside DE in a 3-4). Here he is on a center throwing everything but the kitchen sink and he has no movable impact and then the guard enjoys some playtime and makes it look like he required a double team. That's just sound blocking by the 49ers. When there is a man in front of you neutralize him.

Loudermilk with a strong intimidating passive rush into the left tackle here. Nice lasso move right into the rope. Devastating.

TJ saves the day with his wide 9 rush position and length. Other than that, Purdy ho hum in the pocket, but missed the side step shuffle to the left to get into the OG throwing lane.

On the fourth play...

Montravius gets in here and fights a double with a low man wins attitude getting on the o line hot and is too much of a problem here knifing through the double with perfect execution. Look at 57 here at the snap. He's about to eat your lunch and he knows it. The center is like luck and the guard next to him is like I feel ya, bro. 

Benton here gets locked out before he can get the guard and gets manhandled on this rep neutralizing the guy to his left that just beat the double. 

TJ on his feet, that's amazing. Maybe not 🥺

Loudermilk washed out by a tight end by middling strength. 

50 has got to be behind 95 after the snap instead of a right step wait to get eaten up by Trent.

55 I hate that. A bounce or pounce from the linebacker to find a ready position instead of knees over toes and using the quadriceps and sinking the hips to find your balance and then pushing off the sides of your feet left to right and right to left to find the right hole with your eyes up.

On the fifth play here, 95 is sucking wind. He has lost his stance and I don't blame him. He's going against 300 pounders all day with a high motor every single play. He finds it at the last minute. Tries a little squash play with some hand tango and to no avail.

55 gotta maintain flat and angle the back to the sideline. And 50 has to make the tackle. 50 not even close to enough speed or quickness and he gets walled off by the left tackle because the oc knows exactly what you want to do so he does something to stop you from doing it making it a battle of can Holcomb make a play against 23 in space. Not this day. Not any day. Not even in Canada.

55 takes a poor angle because he knows he can't get there. Takes a high risk no reward type play and is a sitting duck before the word go. He takes himself out of the play, the quarterback, and jeopardizes the whole integrity of the defense. And McCaffrey takes them for a trot to the sideline for a don't break my ribs type run. 

Closing thoughts: you got the middle of the seam there on a vertical. You got McCaffrey on 23. You wanna pick 'em to the flat. Bubble no enterprise. You want Kittle on a quick out. You wanna take Peterson to the post. Or just take Levi to the house. Pick your poison.

Edited by zflairway
extra plays

4 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I have no idea what the DL is to be here.  They play 3-4 sometimes but don't have a proper 2 gap NT.  They rotate DL  but there is a major dropoff in the play and it shows . Makes no sense to me and the defence suffers from this. Leal has no position here, just another wasted pick.  The DL will be a weakness again next year

I am curious what anyone has seen out of Leal to suggest he has a place on this defensive line. His not stout against the run, he hasn’t shown much as a pass rusher. Where is the value? Look at the film, he’s nothing in the pros. To me that is much more absurd than thinking JJ can put on 50 lbs. in the spring and summer, having at least one more good season. That said, this team clearly needs a nose. The reliance upon Cam in short yardage situations is too strong…they need a nose who can also push the pocket as a pass rusher. There is no question that Benton is more of a 5 tech than a nose. He’s going to be really good when used correctly all of the time. So much to be excited about from the 2023 draft IMO…one of main causes for optimism…