Divisional round thread: Texans @ Ravens, Saturday 4:30pm EST

AngusMcFife

Amazing second half boys. But I have a problem. The only way I can cope with the stress of watching the Ravens is to have zero expectations every time we play. It is becoming progressively harder to do that because we are playing lights out. I wish we hired Monken 3 years ago -- he is a legitimately intelligent offensive coordinator capable of making adjustments -- we have never had that. Lamar was handicapped by Roman and I get the distinct feeling that Monken and Lamar have genuine respect for each other and trust one another. God. We need to win the Superbowl. This is miserable. Why can't I just be a normal fan.

Hopefully some of you can relate

Edited by NYCRavensFlock
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, NYCRavensFlock said:

Amazing second half boys. But I have a problem. The only way I can cope with the stress of watching the Ravens is to have zero expectations every time we play. It is becoming progressively harder to do that because we are playing lights out. I wish we hired Monked 3 years ago -- he is a legitimately intelligent offensive coordinator capable of making adjustments -- we have never had that. Lamar was handicapped by Roman and I get the distinct feeling that Monken and Lamar have genuine respect for each other and trust one another. God. We need to win the Superbowl. This is miserable. Why can't I just be a normal fan.

Hopefully some of you can relate

How have i never seen that 😂

On 1/20/2024 at 9:19 PM, Nobellythrower said:

That's monken, stopping the long waiting routes and doing the shorts stuff, they could use dalvin as a checkdown option looked like the most explosive runner on the team.  There's two things though with the team, monken waits to the 2nd half to adjust, it's smart but against a allen/mahomes I don't know, and the defenses not getting sack against qbs like that.

The thing that's interesting about Monken is that he really isn't all that much of an 'offensive genius' in the way that I think people are used to these days. He's got some creative play designs for sure but he's not a Shanahan/McVay level mad scientist who can break defenses through scheme and confusion. And on the other side of the ball we've seen McDonald push this defense to a new level with some really cutting edge, innovative stuff in the way he uses Kyle Hamilton and his inside linebackers and in comparison Monken's performance has been a bit more measured and adaptable. 

The thing that makes Monken great is less a dominant scheme and more that he really does seem to practice what he preached all year about empowering Lamar. From the sounds of it, Lamar was involved in the conversations at halftime about ditching the longer developing deep shots to settle into more of a quick-passing game to counter Houston's blitzing. All of that sounds elementary but I think we know having gone through the Roman experience that a lot of coaches aren't able to check their egos at the door -- Monken has talked about this being a collaborative process and the second half against Houston was a good example of what he has made possible through the simple act of respecting and responding to his players. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

All of that sounds elementary but I think we know having gone through the Roman experience that a lot of coaches aren't able to check their egos at the door

That's the thing with Monken, he isn't interested in proving his way works- he's interested in what works. That Isaiah Likely TD from yesterday was obviously a repeat of what worked the year prior when Monken wasn't here, and it was smart to bring it back in a big game. A lesser coach might've scoffed at dipping into his predecessor's bag. 

We wanted adaptability, our players utilized properly, and most of all- results. To this point, Monken has delivered and I really hope he closes this thing out for us.