What’s your resigning priority?

Pastor Dillon

We have built a good roster, with some holes but pretty solid overall. We’ve talked about what to do in the draft but we’ve got several contributors that are free agents. What is you priority list in resigning them? My order is something like this:

1. Greenard 

2. Rankins

3. Nelson 

if we lose any of those 3, that spot becomes priority 1 in either outside free agency or the 1st round of the draft. 

4. Schultz 

5. Singletery 

6. Perryman

7.  Fant 

8. Barnett

9. Brown

this group is needed but replaceable. These spots can be addressed in cheap free agency or in rounds 2-4 

10. Deiter/Jones/Heck

11. Jackson/Amos/Thomas/Murray

12. Hughes/Tart

these guys are either super cheap returnees or they walk. 

we have a ton of guys that are free agents but many of them are not better than replacement level players. 
just 5 or 6 of them are starters on left years team. 

we have to keep the young offense together, add a weapon or two and keep building the defense. 

• Like 1

In order

Jonathan Greenard:  EDGE is an important position.  I wouldnt break the bank for him but it would be a tough loss if we let him walk in free agency.

Sheldon Rankins: While DT isnt a huge need as a pass rusher, Rankins is our best interior defensive linemen. This year's draft isnt deep for DT's so resigning him should be a priority.

Dalton Schutz: When we actually utilize him he has proven to be an effective weapon for us. I would hate for us to let him go.

Devin Singletary:  I love the year Singletary had when he became starter.  You can make an argument that if we didnt have him this year we would not be in the playoffs.  I dont think he will cost a TON to bring back.

Steven Nelson:  Some might disagree, but I dont think Nelson should be a priority over the 4 I mentioned.  He is 30 years old and might want to a huge pay day.  I think we can find a serviceable CB for cheap to play next to Stingley Jr. whether it be via free agency or the draft.

Ka'imi Fairbairn:  He has proven to be reliable.

ILB Denzel Perryman:  Wouldnt care if he isnt brought back. 

Backups I want to resign in order

DE Barnett

OT George Fant 

OG Michael Dieter

WR Noah Brown

DT Teair Tart

T Josh Jones

• Like 2

1. Greenard: This one is also the trickiest resign, Greenard is pretty fragile when weighed against the entirety of his career. The talent is undeniable, he's an incredibly gifted rusher, probably a better hand down DE than Will Anderson; But that injury history just makes you really weary. If both sides can't come to a consensus, you have to consider franchise tagging him.

2. Schultz: If you listen to both Schultz and CJ Stroud, you can tell there is a chemistry there between the two. Schultz was the one vet target that Stroud worked with the most during TC and OTAs. Schultz is a upper tier TE as well, so securing him long term ensures continuity with Stroud and his pass catchers.

3. Fant: As far as I can tell, he's the starting RT until further notice, even with that Howard extension this off-season. There's really no indicator that Howard would beat Fant out for RT, so Howard needs to get his mind right and salvage his career at G.

4. Rankins: He's been resurgent in Houston but he's another injury concern, he missed time here as well as other stops. He's got a ton of voidable years on his deal, so his is going to be an interesting follow. He's an ideal fit inside next to Malek Collins (who has sort of worked into the run stopper role very well).

5. Barnett: He's really found a spark in our system and a two year extension will protect the Texans from a Greenard injury. If Barnett is looking to secure a long term deal elsewhere, he can go. This is a deal to rehab his performance in Philadelphia, then MAYBE we can talk lucrative extension.

6. Nelson: This isn't really a reflection of his ability; Steven Nelson is a really good player. However, I have reservations about extending a DB going into his age 31 season; the dropoff for skill positions is steep and sudden, and this season is more the exception than the rule. CB is my priority this draft and you can supplement a rookie CB with another FA (Ahkillo Witherspoon spent some time in San Francisco before moving to LAR). Nelson is a good CB, but has some inconsistencies that I wouldn't want to extend and depend upon; Draft someone for long term, sign someone for short term and create a team strength in the process.

7. Perryman: He feels like he's the easiest to resign; a two down, off-ball LB who can't cover, but makes his impact playing downhill against the run. He's got injury concerns along with the diminishing returns associated with being an off-ball LB. Henry To'o To'o is the next guy up for the spot, but he's simply not ready.

8. Singletary: I'd have him higher up on the list if there weren't so many good RBs available; Tony Pollard, Saquan Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, D'Andre Swift and Austin Ekeler are the highlight names. Gus Edwards, Jerek McKinnon, Antonio Gipson and Zack Moss could have a Singletary-like impact in 2024. You can spend less and get more if you evaluate which guy fits our ZBS system (Moss feels like a low risk/high reward pickup here).

9. Tart: I actually like what he's done as a run plugger. I like him as a rotation guy. 

Rest are expendable, IMO - Brown was flashy, but was only healthy for 2-3 games max. 

• Like 2

On 1/19/2024 at 11:41 AM, ET80 said:

1. Greenard: This one is also the trickiest resign, Greenard is pretty fragile when weighed against the entirety of his career. The talent is undeniable, he's an incredibly gifted rusher, probably a better hand down DE than Will Anderson; But that injury history just makes you really weary. If both sides can't come to a consensus, you have to consider franchise tagging him.

2. Schultz: If you listen to both Schultz and CJ Stroud, you can tell there is a chemistry there between the two. Schultz was the one vet target that Stroud worked with the most during TC and OTAs. Schultz is a upper tier TE as well, so securing him long term ensures continuity with Stroud and his pass catchers.

3. Fant: As far as I can tell, he's the starting RT until further notice, even with that Howard extension this off-season. There's really no indicator that Howard would beat Fant out for RT, so Howard needs to get his mind right and salvage his career at G.

4. Rankins: He's been resurgent in Houston but he's another injury concern, he missed time here as well as other stops. He's got a ton of voidable years on his deal, so his is going to be an interesting follow. He's an ideal fit inside next to Malek Collins (who has sort of worked into the run stopper role very well).

5. Barnett: He's really found a spark in our system and a two year extension will protect the Texans from a Greenard injury. If Barnett is looking to secure a long term deal elsewhere, he can go. This is a deal to rehab his performance in Philadelphia, then MAYBE we can talk lucrative extension.

6. Nelson: This isn't really a reflection of his ability; Steven Nelson is a really good player. However, I have reservations about extending a DB going into his age 31 season; the dropoff for skill positions is steep and sudden, and this season is more the exception than the rule. CB is my priority this draft and you can supplement a rookie CB with another FA (Ahkillo Witherspoon spent some time in San Francisco before moving to LAR). Nelson is a good CB, but has some inconsistencies that I wouldn't want to extend and depend upon; Draft someone for long term, sign someone for short term and create a team strength in the process.

7. Perryman: He feels like he's the easiest to resign; a two down, off-ball LB who can't cover, but makes his impact playing downhill against the run. He's got injury concerns along with the diminishing returns associated with being an off-ball LB. Henry To'o To'o is the next guy up for the spot, but he's simply not ready.

8. Singletary: I'd have him higher up on the list if there weren't so many good RBs available; Tony Pollard, Saquan Barkley, Josh Jacobs, Derrick Henry, D'Andre Swift and Austin Ekeler are the highlight names. Gus Edwards, Jerek McKinnon, Antonio Gipson and Zack Moss could have a Singletary-like impact in 2024. You can spend less and get more if you evaluate which guy fits our ZBS system (Moss feels like a low risk/high reward pickup here).

9. Tart: I actually like what he's done as a run plugger. I like him as a rotation guy. 

Rest are expendable, IMO - Brown was flashy, but was only healthy for 2-3 games max. 

Pretty much this, except I'm really nervous about paying guys who have their best ears in contract years like Greenard did.

Fant is a very low priority IMHO.