Lunatics Playoff Mock: Fields Edition

StLunatic88

52 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

If he were perfect, he would never reach Free Agency. But he point is, in this system, its less about going man on man to "handle" guys, especially at the Center spot. 

From what I have watched, he is great pre-snap with both recognition and communication to his line. That is what i am most worried about with out Center for 2024. And post-snap I think he holds his own just fine, can reach block plenty well, and wall off even the biggest guys as he is supposed to. All important things for a Center. 

No he is never going to "maul" a NT, thats not his game, its actually not many Center's game anymore in the NFL. Its not 1993 anymore

If anything the C is the one that can be a bit more of a finesse guy for me (though I'd cave for an elite passblocker at LT). With how I was pounding the table for Tippmann/Wright I clearly am a 'physical specimen and nasty playstyle'  fan for my lineman. That is why I would like Jones at C if he kicks inside. He can usually have help if they put a hog on him but he is quick enough he could do a lot of the things Kelce did at PHI (obviously at a much lower ability, Kelce is a legit badass HOFer, I just mean schematically) in getting to the second level, pulling, and even getting out on screens. Snapping is the concern though, so OG is the safer move if they get an OT early.

I still think he can pull a Connor Williams though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

With how I was pounding the table for Tippmann/Wright I clearly am a 'physical specimen and nasty playstyle'  fan for my lineman.

Oh, I would prefer a nasty wrestler there in the middle (why I like Frazier) if we are just getting what we want. But we can’t just assume anything by with the OL anymore. 

I mean I drafted SVP too. A guys who is known for power. But I think he needs some refinement, while we could go with a rookie at C, I think that’s asking for trouble 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Snapping is the concern though

One of the bigger concerns for Caleb transitioning is that USC ran almost exclusively from shotgun. I'd hope the guy he hired to coach him for the draft is working hard on his under center exchanges, but either way I'd expect a lot of shotgun for us next year as well, and snapping is going be critical for anyone we bring in.

1 hour ago, Epyon said:

One of the bigger concerns for Caleb transitioning is that USC ran almost exclusively from shotgun. I'd hope the guy he hired to coach him for the draft is working hard on his under center exchanges, but either way I'd expect a lot of shotgun for us next year as well, and snapping is going be critical for anyone we bring in.

That's pretty common nowadays. Even back when Tebow was at FLA he hired Marc Trestman and had to focus on taking snap under center. Its pretty common for most teams to focus on getting points up NOW rather than try to develop the QB for the NFL. Overall I am not too concerned with it. If I can get kids to learn how to snap and take snaps, NFL coaches shouldn't have an issue. I mean, yeah, my kid is a damn good athlete for a 13 year old but these are NFL players. They're almost all elite athletes compared to the general population.

That's why Whitehair's snapping issues just baffle me. I get mistakes happen but its a repetitive motion, QBs aren't staggering to either side or jumping from 3 to 8 to 5 yards behind. I don't get why he struggled. Our high schoolers don't even struggle to shotgun snap, and there are maybe 3-4 division 3 athletes on the whole team, sure as hell no one going DII. So with conversions, would the player be a normal adjustable athlete or are they Whitehair, who just seemed to Alzheimer himself out of knowing how to do it? lol 

Whitehair has caused me to doubt NFL players and OL coaches way more than I should.