Defensive coordinator search?!?

warfelg

15 hours ago, armsteeld said:

how many points a game average allowed in the playoffs?

58 minutes ago, warfelg said:

No clue.  It was from a lot of beat writers.  Apparently he rather they work on positioning and play recognition than securing the ball.  Rumor was he had the old “your a DB for a reason” thinker.

seems about right considering what we had to watch with butler as DC. At least they have improved this part of the defence

11 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

This thinking did a huge disservice to him

why can't the HC step in and say " here's the jugs machine "  get better?

21 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d love it. This is mostly a joke, but I’d reach out to Darth Bill too.

I would love this as well. My hope is that either of these guys won't look at this a a demotion or let ego get in the way "I'm a HC, I'm not working for him!" It is temporary anyway. I think that Vrabel and BB have more options. I am not sure that the TV outlets won't try to sign one or both of these guys for a high $$$$ salary and a far easier schedule and lifestyle than coaching.  From a coaching standpoint, they are not in a situation like Brian Flores was where he was at odds with the NFL and his options were much more limited at first.

I have said in a few other threads related to the Steelers coaching staff that if they keep coach Tomlin, he could use some other strong leadership in the locker room. The guy that I mentioned many times was Mike Munchak. Either of these two would do the same thing that  we saw from Flores with the defense. I think BB is a defensive genius in the same vein as Bill Walsh was with offense.

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

how many points a game average allowed in the playoffs?

I will preface my comment by saying that I am not a huge Austin fan. However, objectively and honestly, the defense was not losing these games. The offense has let the Steelers down with turnovers and or the inability to sustain drives and win.

2020 - - 4 INT's and 1 fumble. 5-0 turnover  or -5 in turnovers. Yes it was 48 points, but most came as a result of offensive turnovers. Loss to Browns. They fumbled the opening snap and were down 7-0. The offensive turnover show continued.

2021 - - The defense actually scored 7 points and put the Steelers up 7-0, but the offense did zilch. They could not run and could not pass. Mahomes given too many opportunities and the offense had no answer. Plus this was a 9-8 or 9-7-1 team that just wasn't very good.

2023 - - Two first half turnovers including one in the red-zone. The Steelers were down 21-0. The Bills OL and DL dominated and the Steelers lost the turnover battle 2-0 and points off those turnovers 14-0. Score was 31-17. I will say that the tackling was poor, but no TJ, a hurt Cam, and rusty Minkah.

I know we are tired of excuses, but honestly, a lot of this is not the DC's fault as much as the players playing their game and getting beat.

seems about right considering what we had to watch with butler as DC. At least they have improved this part of the defense.

The Steelers have to start staying healthy. The same thing happened with Ben, Bell, and AB who only played one play-off game with everyone healthy. The Steelers have an aging Cam, TJ, and Minkah are rarely are they all healthy. This year they were even on 4,5,6 ILB and M.A.S.H. unit at safety.

I would prefer a sexier name, but it is only two years and I am "guessing/predicting" a three year window for the Tomlin era to win or retire. Either way, I think this staff goes 20 years together and then it is a complete coaching retool.

why can't the HC step in and say " here's the jugs machine "  get better?

He could, but what is stopping a player from working on one on their own? There has to be individual accountability as well. I loved Ike as many of us did, but what did Ike do to improve his hands? What did Shaq do in basketball to improve his free throws? Shaq would darn near be one of the all time scoring leaders if he could hit free throws.

These are grown men who can do some things on their own. Especially where you know your game is weak.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

and if your roster has players that don't? 

Like any job, you put an investment in who is there. Then you see if they  either take it or if they don't. If not, then to your point, you look to find better quality/higher character guys.  My point is that you can't just let everyone go at the sign of their first mess up. Some of it is just maturity. The NFL doesn't believe in slow cooking or smoking players anymore to use a cooking analogy.  They want everything microwaved and fast. You do good, you are great. You mess up, you suck. It just isn't that cut and dry. You certainly can't have 53 slow cookers, but you have those few who do take it (the coaching) and need a little time to let it get in. Sometimes it just takes some players longer than others.

Coach Tomlin is criticized for a lot of things, but rarely gets credit for how he has handled Coach Killer Bees (AB, Bell, and Ben).  Three great players and I believe if all stayed together, all three would be HOF worthy.  As it is, Ben makes it, AB would have made it had he not imploded, and Bell was on the fringe trending upward.

Pickens is an elite talent.  His father played in the NFL and he grew up as always being thee big dawg wherever he went. As much as we all hate adversity, it can more often than not develop, grow, and strengthen us in ways that pure success can't.  I never thought that Ben reached his pinnacle, the pan-ultimate, or was the best that he could be. Perhaps Ben had too much success early.  He was not the leader that he could have been at the QB position.  He was a refined diva in his own right. Despite how this sounds, I am not bashing Ben because I love him to life and he is an all-time great.  However, he never became Terry Bradshaw despite being a better overall QB than Bradshaw.

Bradshaw went through some stuff in his years as a Steeler.  I still say that Bradshaw's best year was hampered by the strike.  In 82, he was playing elite.  The early lessons from 72, 73, 74, and 75 helped him tremendously. That was a Steelers team few mention or even compare to the 76 team that probably wins another SB had Franco and Rocky not been hurt.

• Like 2