2024: Offseason

13 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think the deal with Chris Jones is going to happen.

I'm getting more nervous, myself. I figured today would be the day. Unless Veach works through the weekend I'm getting more pessimistic.

59 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think the deal with Chris Jones is going to happen.

Stop speaking it into the universe man…losing him and Sneed will be devastating to our defense.

2 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

I'm getting more nervous, myself. I figured today would be the day. Unless Veach works through the weekend I'm getting more pessimistic.

I think, and I’m likely wrong, but Madibuke’s deal today actually helps us. He put up similar numbers to Jones 2 years ago, is 4 years younger than Jones has more tackles than Jones.  But obviously only one year of production.  So, if we are in the ball park of what’s being said…it may just be he doesn’t actually want to be here.

55 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I think, and I’m likely wrong, but Madibuke’s deal today actually helps us. He put up similar numbers to Jones 2 years ago, is 4 years younger than Jones has more tackles than Jones.  But obviously only one year of production.  So, if we are in the ball park of what’s being said…it may just be he doesn’t actually want to be here.

It only helps us if Jones's camp is willing to be reasonable. We've continued to see every single DT that isn't Donald get in the $21M - $25M range. I have no doubt we're willing to go even higher than that. But I have no doubt Jones's camp is still asking for something north of Donald money, so $32M+. Mabudike's deal should reinforce where the market is at, but that should've happened with Williams and SImmons already last year too. 

I just don't think anything has changed. If it had, I think the deal would already be done.

And to be honest, if they have a hard line at the Donald deal, I don't think we should re-sign him. Pivot to a long term extension to Sneed and use the savings towards Bolton or Creed next year, if that's the case. Go after Wilkins as a younger, cheaper replacement, or be able to spend a little more on a WR.

I just can't see paying him half what we pay Mahomes. Especially at 30. And I love Jones. He's an all-time Chief, belongs in the hall someday. But if his camp won't budge, I'll understand why we don't either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Stop speaking it into the universe man…losing him and Sneed will be devastating to our defense.

FWIW, I do think if we don't get a Jones deal done, we would retain Sneed.

2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

It only helps us if Jones's camp is willing to be reasonable. We've continued to see every single DT that isn't Donald get in the $21M - $25M range. I have no doubt we're willing to go even higher than that. But I have no doubt Jones's camp is still asking for something north of Donald money, so $32M+. Mabudike's deal should reinforce where the market is at, but that should've happened with Williams and SImmons already last year too. 

I just don't think anything has changed. If it had, I think the deal would already be done.

And to be honest, if they have a hard line at the Donald deal, I don't think we should re-sign him. Pivot to a long term extension to Sneed and use the savings towards Bolton or Creed next year, if that's the case. Go after Wilkins as a younger, cheaper replacement, or be able to spend a little more on a WR.

I just can't see paying him half what we pay Mahomes. Especially at 30. And I love Jones. He's an all-time Chief, belongs in the hall someday. But if his camp won't budge, I'll understand why we don't either.

Everything that’s being reported is that KC is willing to pay, I honestly believe, more that we’ve tagged Sneed, Jones’ agents are trying to pull every dollar. Rappaport said again today that things have been positive thus far. I’m hoping we can get in the 27/28 range.

I would be shocked to see one of Jones/Sneed leave.   It’s typical of this FO to let one FA get the “limelight” on their deal.    One deal made late week,   Another made early next week,   I’d expect some movement next Monday/Tuesday.  

4 hours ago, RedGold said:

I would be shocked to see one of Jones/Sneed leave.   It’s typical of this FO to let one FA get the “limelight” on their deal.    One deal made late week,   Another made early next week,   I’d expect some movement next Monday/Tuesday.  

If Jones hits FA, he’s gone.  Someone will pay north of Donald, and KC won’t.  We’ll be looking at Tyreek all over again.

18 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

If Jones hits FA, he’s gone.  Someone will pay north of Donald, and KC won’t.  We’ll be looking at Tyreek all over again.

So be it if it happens,  but I’m pretty confident the deal is getting done.  

Either way,   We have back up options.   Like I have 0 concerns about who we keep and who we let go.. the track record of this FO speaks for itself in those regards. 

The original post was suppose to mean I’d be shocked if we didn’t end up with a long term deal with one of Sneed/Jones.  2am got the best of me 

Edited by RedGold

15 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

It would be a far cry from the Tyreek Hill trade which brought #29 and four other picks.

If Jones leaves in FA then we get a post #100 pick, period.  

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

It would be a far cry from the Tyreek Hill trade which brought #29 and four other picks.

If Jones leaves in FA then we get a post #100 pick, period.  

What I meant was, he’ll be priced out, out of desperation/spite/revenge.  Like I said, if we don’t sign him by Wednesday I’d be pretty surprised if the next time we sign him its not a 1 day contract to retire a Chief.

6 hours ago, RedGold said:

Either way,   We have back up options.

Not so much at DT, Jones is our best run defender, and our best pass rusher. Let’s not act like his loss, or Sneed’s is going to show minimal impact.  I love the job Veach does, but losing all pro players always hurts. Period.

My 3:30am thought last night because why sleep when you have nothing better to do was this:

If we lose Jones, do we still trade Sneed BECAUSE we feel like we need the picks to replace Jones/Smith/Sneed + add a WR, And that’s how we’d get there?

36 minutes ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Not so much at DT, Jones is our best run defender, and our best pass rusher. Let’s not act like his loss, or Sneed’s is going to show minimal impact.  I love the job Veach does, but losing all pro players always hurts. Period.

My 3:30am thought last night because why sleep when you have nothing better to do was this:

If we lose Jones, do we still trade Sneed BECAUSE we feel like we need the picks to replace Jones/Smith/Sneed + add a WR, And that’s how we’d get there?

I mean I’m not going to say we’ll replace Jones,  with another Chris Jones.    But like I said, I guess I don’t worry about it.   It either happens, or it doesn’t and we’ll rotate to plan B.        We very rarely make the incorrect decision on what to do with our own guys.