The Commanders Head Coaching Thread - Commanders hire Dan Quinn, Dallas Cowboys DC

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

You are naive if you think money wasn't a factor from both sides. Ultimately it was probably a deciding factor for why he chose Seattle over us. That and the contract length. 

I mean I have no doubt money was a huge factor for Macdonald.  But it is hard for me to believe it was for us.

Just seems like if you spend 6 billion that you don't cheap out on a couple million for the HC.  

3 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I mean I have no doubt money was a huge factor for Macdonald.  But it is hard for me to believe it was for us.

Just seems like if you spend 6 billion that you don't cheap out on a couple million for the HC.  

When the contract details come out for both HCs, I think the notion of "a couple million" will be an afterthought. I think Seattle paid heavily so there was no competition.

Also it seems like I am the only one picking up on the contract length for the HC and GM hiring them. I guarantee Quinn won't get a 6 year deal. 

6 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

When the contract details come out for both HCs, I think the notion of "a couple million" will be an afterthought. I think Seattle paid heavily so there was no competition.

Also it seems like I am the only one picking up on the contract length for the HC and GM hiring them. I guarantee Quinn won't get a 6 year deal. 

I totally agree about the contract length.  But at the same time, I am sure Macdonald would be ok with a 5 year contract if the money was right.

Seattle didn't let Macdonald walk away unsigned.  We sat on our hands and went through the process.

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I totally agree about the contract length.  But at the same time, I am sure Macdonald would be ok with a 5 year contract if the money was right.

Seattle didn't let Macdonald walk away unsigned.  We sat on our hands and went through the process.

I agree with everything except the underlined. If MacDonald had separated himself from Dan Quinn, I'm sure full court press would have been on. There was a report out of Seattle that the reason they didn't go to Dan Quinn was the similarities to Pete Carroll. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/05/takeaways-bye-week-commanders-dan-quinn-search

On the hiring of Dan Quinn. Very interesting read. 

The format for the second interviews was also a little different. They’d start with Peters, Spielman and Mayhew, then hit a break, then go two hours with Myers and Harris joining in, before finishing up with Peters getting one-on-one time with the candidate.

I like this - mostly. The GMs got together as a brain trust first, then the owner and his personal hire of Myers to help do their end of it, and back to Peters for a 1 on 1 of seeing what the relationship might be like (and showing how much they trust Peters to run the show). Mayhew is more involved than I expected, but nonetheless, he's been around. Probably had some good questions to ask. He's not a dumb person. You don't get there if you're stupid. 

On Wednesday night, Peters, who got his start in New England, called former Patriots coach Bill Belichick to touch base. After that call, he reached out to Quinn to offer him the job.

This reads weird. This reads like we were panicking and seeing what Hail Mary we could get from Bill, but the conversation didn't go as planned or go well and we withdrew the idea?

15 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I agree with everything except the underlined. If MacDonald had separated himself from Dan Quinn, I'm sure full court press would have been on. There was a report out of Seattle that the reason they didn't go to Dan Quinn was the similarities to Pete Carroll. 

I see it differently.

If your point is true, then I could say the same thing about Quinn.  If Quinn had separated himself, we could have pulled the trigger and hired him sooner.  But our plan was to go through the process no matter what.  This is how you lose out on candidates.  Dan Snyder could teach Harris a thing or two about personnel in the nfl.  If you want someone, you don't let him leave the building.  That is how Seattle dealt with MacDonald.

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

I see it differently.

If your point is true, then I could say the same thing about Quinn.  If Quinn had separated himself, we could have pulled the trigger and hired him sooner.  But our plan was to go through the process no matter what.  This is how you lose out on candidates.  Dan Snyder could teach Harris a thing or two about personnel in the nfl.  If you want someone, you don't let him leave the building.  That is how Seattle dealt with MacDonald.

I 100% agree with you on the underlined. None of the candidates separated themselves up until that point. Raheem Morris was told that they wanted to go through the process, he went to ATL. At the point that Ben Johnson withdrew his name, it appeared to be a two horse race. Then Seattle sealed their deal with MacDonald and we signed Quinn. 

I also vehemently disagree that Harris should take notes or any advice from anything Dan Snyder did.

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I 100% agree with you on the underlined. None of the candidates separated themselves up until that point. Raheem Morris was told that they wanted to go through the process, he went to ATL. At the point that Ben Johnson withdrew his name, it appeared to be a two horse race. Then Seattle sealed their deal with MacDonald and we signed Quinn. 

I also vehemently disagree that Harris should take notes or any advice from anything Dan Snyder did.

Well Harris seems to be taking notes from Snyder on leaking things to the media :)

Well I wasn't totally serious, but the point stands.  And this isn't just how hiring coaches works, it also is the same with free agents.  If you truly want someone, you have to go after them.  You are competing with other destinations.  

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Well Harris seems to be taking notes from Snyder on leaking things to the media :)

Well I wasn't totally serious, but the point stands.  And this isn't just how hiring coaches works, it also is the same with free agents.  If you truly want someone, you have to go after them.  You are competing with other destinations.  

With respect to each situation hiring a coach and signing a player are two completely different things. On one hand you are signing a player to be of 53 on your roster and on the other you are hiring someone to lead the entire team.

Absolutely agree that with both coaching candidates and free agents however that you are competing with other franchises, but how you go about obtaining them is vastly different. I would be very concerned if we courted our HC like you do a FA. For free agents, you are trying to sell the team to the player and with HC, they have to sell themselves to the team. 

Again, I wish it was the other way around, MacDonald here and Quinn in Seattle, but I'm more confident in "trust the process" than I have ever been in my fanhood/life. 

Also to your first point, I'm sure that the source of the leak will be identified and removed. Loose lips sink ships and that's not how successful franchises run. 

• Like 1

Adam: "We wanted to hire the best leader for the team. We had a thorough process ... we decided Dan Quinn was the best man for that job. [list of qualifications]. He's a phenomenal person most of all.

We have a shared vision. We are going to be in lockstep. [Quinn] has a track record of tying these units together and we're going to do it together. 

The work is just beginning." 

• Like 2