Random Thoughts - Offseason 2024

dll2000

Just now, dll2000 said:

Probably a guy that should have played defense and would have had a 10 year NFL career, but because he was such a good athlete they kept playing him on offense.

Talking about in HS and college. Not a position changed in NFL.

Just now, dll2000 said:

Talking about in HS and college. Not a position changed in NFL.

Like imagine if Deion Sanders had been made a WR in college.  He probably is just okay or maybe he is a decent WR and a legendary returner. 

But he is a legendary CB and made a fortune in NFL.

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

A lot of our Dline and Oline is banged up and has been and season just started.

We had same thing last year.

Is practice too rough and too many reps or just bad luck?

There are many factors. I've talked about hyper-specialization in sports from a young age before, that definitely contributes. Another one that nobody is talking about is on average as a society we eat much worse than we did 50 years ago. The foods may appear the same but ingredients have changed. I'm not someone who is anti-GMO or anything like that but the number of chemicals in our food has increased greatly.

Not to mention we really don't know what effect microplastics have on the human body yet. If we learned that they cause accelerated muscle and bone degeneration (I expect they will be at least this bad if not worse), I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

There are many factors. I've talked about hyper-specialization in sports from a young age before, that definitely contributes. Another one that nobody is talking about is on average as a society we eat much worse than we did 50 years ago. The foods may appear the same but ingredients have changed. I'm not someone who is anti-GMO or anything like that but the number of chemicals in our food has increased greatly.

Not to mention we really don't know what effect microplastics have on the human body yet. If we learned that they cause accelerated muscle and bone degeneration (I expect they will be at least this bad if not worse), I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest.

Something is definitely happening.  I have no doubt.  The evidence is overwhelming.  

It may not be one thing, but a combination.  I suspect, but can't prove, that is some combination of bad food, drink, vaccines and prescription drugs.  

I am seeing waaaay more kids with serious allergies, autism and Asperger's of various stripes.  It isn't just more documented.  I see it way more.  I have worked with kids my whole adult life.

Also seeing way more young couples struggle to conceive than in the past.  

• Like 1

Parenting is nuts sometimes, always a lot of work, but other times it's absolutely hilarious **** (while still being a lot of work)

We keep adding chores for our kids in the mornings.  It can actually be productive help (always debatable) but it keeps them from doing weird **** on their own,  teaches them responsibility blah blah blah but it also yields some truly amusing momenets. 

My son is now in charge of gathering all the dirty laundry and getting it to the washer. He also takes the laundry up and folds it but because my wife has annoying clothing that requires different temps (???? this may be a lie, don't understand why you'd want this???) we don't have him start the washer.  He takes FOREVER on all these tasks because he's generally slow and methodical.  Today I finally learned why the loading of the washer is so ******* slow.  He has been FOLDING THE DIRTY LAUNDRY as he takes it out of the basket into the washer.  Like we never told him to do this, so I think he's just extrapolating from unloaded the basket of clean clothes? But I went down to start the laundry, wanted to add some stuff and after opening the washer lid just stared for like a minute staright before dying laughing and texting me wife a pic of neatly stacked dirty clothes, arranged in some sort of hex around the washing machine.

Meanwhile, my daughter unloads the dishes. She is neither methodical nor slow.  When she unloads stuff it's a mystery where it all goes.   Does she sort by color? Size? Tone the object makes when struck? No idea but I had to redo like 70% of what she did and I'm still missing tons of stuff.   It's still better than the time my wife re-organized the tool bench in the basemment.  Awful. Chaos. Long things all together so it's like extra long drill bits with wood dowels with tent stakes and big screwdrivers.  

• Like 1