Nothing is off the table for the Jets in 2024

Big T

Let's be realists shall we? Here we are (N.Y.Jets) in 2024 talking about the draft and F.A.. What makes this year so different going forward as opposed to years past is, everyones butt is on the line.

It is a win now year, a year when nothing short of a playoff birth and if possible further is on the table. Otherwise the entire thing gets blown up and the Jets as an organization continues to be to some extent a laughing stock of the NFL, and the current regime has nothing to lose by using its draft capitol in 2025

So let's start with the obvious, personnel wise, what the Jets need, what they have, and what they need to add going forward. If your in the camp of winning at any cost in 2024 without looking forward then truly nothing is off the table.

But can we have both win now and build for the future? I think the answer is yes. Where and who the Jets draft will be determined by who they sign during FA. If they can add a top G, sign a top WR, then those needs going into the draft are secondary. I don't think signing a T with a history of injuries on the downward slope of his career is the answer. 

So then the Jets, I believe will have no other choice but to draft a top rated T. But the consensus with most Jets fans is we have to recoup a second round talent and add more depth to the OL. Most Jets fans would be okay with drafting 2 good reliable starting OL to complement the WR,TE, and RB currently on the roster.

The question then becomes what will it take to get back into the 2nd round or dare I say jump back into the first round. If you're on the staff of the N.Y.Jets 2025 means nothing, this is the year that makes or breaks them.

So trading next years number 1 or number 2 should not be so shocking if it pays dividends this year and more going forward. The Jets have assets they can trade, they have a over abundance of capable DL/DE/ER they could use as trading capitol.

I would love to keep Bryce Huff, but let's be clear here, the Jets are not just going to let him walk without any compensation if they can't sign him, and they are unable, or if they want to sign other FA. Do you want to keep Huff and pass on Ridley? Huff no doubt can change a game, but a WR like Ridley can possibly do it on every offensive play.

Huff IMHO is gone, and the Jets have an obligation to its fan base to get compensated via a trade. So what do the Jets need going into the future, a future that doesn't include AR, the Jets have no one on the team who they can turn to in a few years like GB did with Love.

The Jets need a developmental QB that is talented to the extent that one day he could be a starter, currently no such person is on the Jets roster. So though this is not my mock draft this is the way I see it.

Trade Huff for draft capitol, hopefully for this year, a 2nd rounder and perhaps a 5th next year (put in what you would like). Grab yourself this year, the best OL in the draft which is Jackson Powers Johnson hands down, this guy is the strongest and most polished dominant OL in this years draft someone you have to go back into the first round or early second round to get. 

So pick up the T you want (put whatever name you like here) at 10 or move down if it is possible and pick up some more draft capitol. By round 3 the Jets should be prepared to draft a QB that they can develop (there are a few I like but Rattler is my choice as well as perhaps a 6th round pick in Bradley).

So let us be realistic here fan's, the Jets are on the clock and as far as they are concerned JD and company there is no 2025, there is 2024 and the approach they have to conduct business with is an all out blitz to put not only a winner on the field but to put building blocks in place should they survive 2024.

HEAR ME Joe Douglas?

• Like 1

One thing for certain is OFF the table: keeping Zach Wilson.

I don't care what we have to do, he can no longer be within 8,000 miles of MetLife Stadium going forward. Take the best deal. Release him. Send him to the Montreal Alouettes. I don't care. Just make it go away.

Also, trading future firsts is a terrible idea for a franchise with a 40-year-old starting quarterback coming off Achilles surgery. Which is exactly why the Jets will consider it!

Being a fan of this team is like going on a sick and twisted roller coaster. Oh, it is exhilarating alright. But now and then, things become vomit-inducing.

13 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

One thing for certain is OFF the table: keeping Zach Wilson.

I don't care what we have to do, he can no longer be within 8,000 miles of MetLife Stadium going forward. Take the best deal. Release him. Send him to the Montreal Alouettes. I don't care. Just make it go away.

Also, trading future firsts is a terrible idea for a franchise with a 40-year-old starting quarterback coming off Achilles surgery. Which is exactly why the Jets will consider it!

Being a fan of this team is like going on a sick and twisted roller coaster. Oh, it is exhilarating alright. But now and then, things become vomit-inducing.

Pretty sure the FO already committed to sending him off - which is really just best for both parties. Zach needs to go where he can grow without having to think about getting booed out the stadium for being the backup.

18 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

Pretty sure the FO already committed to sending him off - which is really just best for both parties. Zach needs to go where he can grow without having to think about getting booed out the stadium for being the backup.

I will only be happy when he is officially off the roster. Until then, I will be concerned.

Well, Connor Hughes seems to agree with me as far as nothing being off the table concerning the Jets, including next years draft capitol. But much to my surprise Woody Johnson also threw down the gauntlet in agreeing with me. He discussed his anger at JD and crew for going into the season without a viable backup in the event that AR was hurt.

Lastly, that they are all on the clock, and that clock is ticking, and without saying it, he alluded to the Jets having a much better win total than 7 games.

Yes boys and girls, all of us know that unless we improve dramatically on the OL and sign a top back up (Woody Johnsons primary thorn in his side) there's changes that are going to come.

HEAR ME JD?

After reading so many articles about the Jets, and all the negativity from sports analysts that supposedly represent the Jets. Personally I think they just like having their faces on YouTube, money is an awful good reason to prop yourself off as some kind of expert on everything Jets.

And if that is the case, then I must be the granddaddy of all Jets fans in my twilight years, LOL.

I hear them say, I'm not going to stand for this or that, what the Jets need to do, the Jets need to fire this guy or that guy or blow it all up and start over again.

But lets put all that aside along with all the steps to get the Jets to the SB and win it (ugghhh). Here's what needs to be done to perhaps, PERHAPS, land the Jets in the playoffs. ALL TOGETHER NOW!!! FIX THE O LINE!!!!

Use as many draft pick, trades, FA signings that you need to accomplish your goal and lets get the season underway.

T,G,T/C, C and protect your most important asset one we haven't had since Chad Pennington, yes boys and girls, YOUR QUARTERBACK!!!!!

Build a wall around him, impenetrable, THEN and only THEN, will the Jets be able to showcase Wilson, and Hall, etc. 

Unless the Jets do that, yes pull out all the stops, because tomorrow may not come for JD and company should they fail to do this.

There is no 100 steps to make the Jets better, we as fans know the OL has been an issue since JD signed on. Lets once and for all address this ghost line into something tangible and dare I say it elite.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 7:55 AM, Big T said:

Woody Johnson also threw down the gauntlet in agreeing with me. He discussed his anger at JD and crew for going into the season without a viable backup in the event that AR was hurt.

This is hilarious. Woody was behind AR which led to AR’s cronies being hired (Hackett) and worthless FA’s. This limited the $ available for anyone else. I would really love it JD just came out and said he has been neutered by a meddling owner and a defacto GM in Rodgers. If I am JD I might really think of bolting after the draft. **** Woody and his boy toy.

I watched very little Jets this year. Why bother. It is getting easier to move on from them with every stupid press conference and piss poor management. We’ll see how FA and the draft go but I truly expect to majorly disappointed. Again. I’ll take any friendly wagers (in name only of course) that we do NOT draft an OT when we pick. I would bet WR or TE at 10. Then we get to hear how JD and Saleh could not believe they were available. Book it. 

11 hours ago, xrade said:

This is hilarious. Woody was behind AR which led to AR’s cronies being hired (Hackett) and worthless FA’s. This limited the $ available for anyone else. I would really love it JD just came out and said he has been neutered by a meddling owner and a defacto GM in Rodgers. If I am JD I might really think of bolting after the draft. **** Woody and his boy toy.

I watched very little Jets this year. Why bother. It is getting easier to move on from them with every stupid press conference and piss poor management. We’ll see how FA and the draft go but I truly expect to majorly disappointed. Again. I’ll take any friendly wagers (in name only of course) that we do NOT draft an OT when we pick. I would bet WR or TE at 10. Then we get to hear how JD and Saleh could not believe they were available. Book it. 

While I don't agree with your assessment I respect your insight. As for the Jets and I know its a big "IF" A.R. isn't injured and the OL holds up, I guarantee the conversation changes dramatically. My chief concern is not that we go into the 2024 season with a revamped OL (we will) but just as important we don't have a QB of the future, in the wings, sitting and learning like Jordan Love.

The draft takes on a totally different color if the Jets sign some quality OL in FA, or do we go into the draft naked? Likewise should the Jets sign a player like Ridley, or quality WR, the need to draft a WR becomes a non factor. Should the Jets sign a top G/T in FA then drafting one of the higher rated OT is not as pressing.

I mean just to give you a crazy scenario, the Jets move down from 10, and it doesn't matter where so for arguments sake to 18 and get a second rounder this year, the Jets in the first round grab the best OL at the SB which was Jackson-Powers-Johnson who is a C, with the idea of moving Tippman over to G, in round 2 draft a second tier OT like Christian Jones. 

The Jets become lightyears better having addressed the OL prior to the draft as well as WR, just so you will know Bowers is like a hybrid TE/WR. But that's besides the point. For the Jets staff, there is no next year, no 2025 if they don't at least make the playoffs.

No one is safe, like Bill Parcels has said, you are what your record says you are. Period.

Everyone in Jets have one shot to reach championship level so why getting a qb of the future is of essence? 

Only way to help Jets leap over giant hurdles is to find players and prospects that can make immediate contributions.  It is really a tall task.

I am going to deface Jets if they actually take Brock Bowers in 1st.  jeez!

On 2/11/2024 at 3:01 PM, JetsandI said:

Everyone in Jets have one shot to reach championship level so why getting a qb of the future is of essence? 

Only way to help Jets leap over giant hurdles is to find players and prospects that can make immediate contributions.  It is really a tall task.

I am going to deface Jets if they actually take Brock Bowers in 1st.  jeez!

While all of that is true, we do need to draft our next QB because unlike Aaron Rodgers and Robert Saleh, you and I (and everybody on this board) will still be here in a few years. And I would like to, you know, not suck for a little while.

On 2/10/2024 at 9:27 PM, xrade said:

If I could quit this team, believe me I would have already. For me, it has been 44 years of this! I am resigned to the fact that I am in it for life at this point.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If I could quit this team, believe me I would have already. For me, it has been 44 years of this! I am resigned to the fact that I am in it for life at this point.

I hear you but they are making it easier to watch other games.  The Jets are just so boringly predictable that it is just not fun to watch them.  I love watching football especially good games and professional teams.  The jets don't do either.  But, I, too, will never be able to offer my allegiance to any other team.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

While all of that is true, we do need to draft our next QB because unlike Aaron Rodgers and Robert Saleh, you and I (and everybody on this board) will still be here in a few years. And I would like to, you know, not suck for a little while.

I understand.  It would be better if we had HC that actually runs the team well.

• Like 1