2024 Offseason Tracker

General Tso

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I don't think people judge the Lions by the actions of one player.  We aren't the 07 Florida Gators.  The optics are bad when you are like the Charlotte Hornets and bring Miles Bridges back even after violating a PPO.  The optics won't look bad for the Lions or their FO until this whole thing plays out. 

I will say, this might be fine in the end if he gets cut. Accelerates some of the dead cap, but he also had a 10M salary, so I believe we actually save some money if his salary is voided. 

And I think he's a better zone corner but it seems like Glenn is moving back to man.

34 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Assuming this is true, this is the second offseason in a row a Lions player has made non-football headlines. 

Last year it was gambling related with a few players which is a lot more innocuous than domestic violence.

But you do have to wonder if our FO needs to redo how they evaluate "smart" and "football character" players.

I don't think Cam Sutton has any prior history of something like this.  The Lions do their best but sometimes people do stupid things.  However, we really don't know much more than the fact that there was a warrant issued.  Hopefully, whatever issues he is facing will be resolved that helps him and his family the most.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I will say, this might be fine in the end if he gets cut. Accelerates some of the dead cap, but he also had a 10M salary, so I believe we actually save some money if his salary is voided. 

And I think he's a better zone corner but it seems like Glenn is moving back to man.

$9M of his contract is guaranteed this year plus his prorated signing bonus.  If we cut him now we end up with $17M in dead cap and $5M more against our cap.  

If he is a post June 1 cut, we would only have $11M against the cap this year and would save 1.5M.  I don't think him being arrested voids the contract unless there is language that makes it not guaranteed if he is arrested.  

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/what-do-frank-clarks-arrests-mean-for-his-contract-with-the-chiefs

Actually, per this article about Frank Clark, if he is determined to have violated the personal conduct policy, his guaranteed money would no longer be guaranteed.  So we will have to let it play out and if needed, cut him once his contract is not guaranteed. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

$9M of his contract is guaranteed this year plus his prorated signing bonus.  If we cut him now we end up with $17M in dead cap and $5M more against our cap.  

If he is a post June 1 cut, we would only have $11M against the cap this year and would save 1.5M.  I don't think him being arrested voids the contract unless there is language that makes it not guaranteed if he is arrested.  

This is what I read, so I was assuming the 9M part is voided since that's part of his salary

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/what-do-frank-clarks-arrests-mean-for-his-contract-with-the-chiefs

33 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Do you think this could push the Lions to sign Stephon Gilmore or make an even more drastic move for L'Jarius Sneed?

I was thinking we'd bring in Gilmore either way. I think this just pushes that deadline up. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The fact they have been looking for him screams issues.

Hopefully Detroit can figure out way to get out of his contract. 

Sounds like we should be able to get out of the guaranteed portion.  Will still have his pro rated signing bonus hit the books this year but should be able to get out of the 9M base from this year.  

And yeah, the fact he has been hiding/running doesn't look or sound good for him.  Seems that alone should be a violation of the conduct policy.  

9 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

The fact they have been looking for him screams issues.

Hopefully Detroit can figure out way to get out of his contract. 

The only thing that anyone knows is that a warrant has been issued.  Speculating about what might have happened doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should be thrown around just because inquiring minds want to know.

Just now, Just Want A Title said:

The only thing that anyone knows is that a warrant has been issued.  Speculating about what might have happened doesn't seem like the kind of thing that should be thrown around just because inquiring minds want to know.

https://www.nfl.com/news/arrest-warrant-issued-for-lions-cb-cameron-sutton-for-alleged-domestic-battery

This article says the police posted about the warrant because they need help finding him, ie he has been evasive.  The warrant was issued earlier this month but they have had trouble finding him so asked for the publics help.  

It also mentions the Lions just found out about it this morning.