2024 OL Depth Chart?

rlon

How would we feel if it ended up like this? Problem with this, all 5 positions would change, continuity being an issue. The positive, all 5 positions would change…lol. I would expect one key free agent signing besides the below.

OL = 9

LT Broderick Jones, Dylan Cook, (Dan Moore)

LG Dan Moore, Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson, Beaux Limmer (R)

OC James Daniels, Beaux Limmer (R), Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson

LG Isaac Seumalo, Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson, Beaux Limmer (R)

RT JC Latham (R), Spencer Anderson, Dylan Cook

NO

you are following the tomlin way by trying Moore at LG. Forget that

lets not continue trying to make starters of players that are playing  out of position. No LT to LG , unless the player has a history and track record to verify this.   Really good OL can go this, but Moore isn't that or hasn't  been . 

I would expect  the OL depth chart should have a new C  from RD1. If JPJ is that good, why not draft him and be set? Daniels might opt to hit UFA  and then what? Get C solidified for 5 years

RT Latham would help, but then make sure next year to get a C, but will the C in next years class  be as good as JPJ?

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 4:53 AM, rlon said:

How would we feel if it ended up like this?

I think it is too much change. Honestly, we wouldn't need this much change.  With several pieces on the OL, this offense was putting up 150 + yards per game several times over the second half of the season.  My hope is that the OL is more solid at the beginning of the season.  Both of Pickett's seasons' the OL didn't come together until the second half of the season.

Problem with this, all 5 positions would change, continuity being an issue. The positive, all 5 positions would change…lol. I would expect one key free agent signing besides the below.

I agree.  Again, my emphasis would be getting the five starters and back-ups to mesh early.

OL = 9

LT Broderick Jones, Dylan Cook, (Dan Moore)

LT Jones, Moore, Cook - - As much as we don't like Dan Moore the starter, Dan Moore the back-up is not as bad as it sounds.  He could fill in in a pinch and he does have a mean streak in the run game. Not bad having a back-up who has started 30+ games.

LG Dan Moore, Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson, Beaux Limmer (R)

LG Seumalo, Herbig

OC James Daniels, Beaux Limmer (R), Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson

OC Jackson Powers Johnson, Tyler Biadsz

I remake the Center position with a rookie prodigy and an experienced starter to back him up

RG Isaac Seumalo, Nate Herbig, Spencer Anderson, Beaux Limmer (R)

RG Daniels, Herbig, Anderson

RT JC Latham (R), Spencer Anderson, Dylan Cook

RT Blake Fisher, Cook, Anderson

I think you draft a center like JPJ or Frazier from WVU

If you pass on JPJ or he's gone take the highest rated player most likely at OT Latham, Mims, Kid from BYU

Bottom line is the OL has to be rock solid or the offense and Pickett will struggle again.

16 hours ago, 3rivers said:

NO

you are following the tomlin way by trying Moore at LG. Forget that

I agree that a position change isn't a priority for Moore. However, he needs to try to be more versatile to be an effective back-up. He wasn't comfortable playing RT and as a swing tackle, he needs to be more versatile.

lets not continue trying to make starters of players that are playing  out of position. No LT to LG , unless the player has a history and track record to verify this.   Really good OL can go this, but Moore isn't that or hasn't been. 

He's a player we should be looking at as strictly a back-up at this point.

I would expect  the OL depth chart should have a new C  from RD1. If JPJ is that good, why not draft him and be set? Daniels might opt to hit UFA  and then what? Get C solidified for 5 years.

I think you get the top rated center that you can. The position has been ignored. Cutting Mason means they are changing starters there.

RT Latham would help, but then make sure next year to get a C, but will the C in next years class be as good as JPJ?

You never know, but why gamble? 

5 hours ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree that a position change isn't a priority for Moore. However, he needs to try to be more versatile to be an effective back-up. He wasn't comfortable playing RT and as a swing tackle, he needs to be more versatile.

exactly, hence you trade him or he only a LT reserve, thats it. So much for versatility, and why keep him if they want versatility

I think you get the top rated center that you can. The position has been ignored. Cutting Mason means they are changing starters there.

why not just get the best C and call it done with for the next 10 years if he is that good ?

You never know, but why gamble? 

whats the C class like next year? We have no C unless they move Daniels over. 

14 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Exactly, hence you trade him or he's only a LT reserve, that's it. So much for versatility, and why keep him if they want versatility.

By versatility, I mean being able to be a swing OT. I see Moore strictly as a reserve. They will most likely move Jones to LT. Hopefully, Jones is continues to get stronger, develop, and he becomes firmly entrenched there. I was only saying 'versatile' to play as a swing OT.

I agree with you in not trying to convert him to another position.

Why not just get the best C and call it done with for the next 10 years if he is that good?

If all the chips fall as we would like, absolutely. If JPJ is gone or the ability to trade down and pick a late first, early second to get Frazier is there, I think you do that. I am all on board for JPJ and I think there are a lot o solid RT prospects that 'should/could" be drafted round two or three. 

What's the C class like next year? We have no C unless they move Daniels over. 

I have no idea. I am still looking at positions and prospects for this year.  They will have to sign a back-up or they believe Herbig or Anderson can back-up the position.  I think they see that as a final option, not the ideal option.  I see Daniels as an emergency move.  I think Daniels and Seumola give the Steelers their best set of starting OG's since a young DeCastro and Foster.

28 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

By versatility, I mean being able to be a swing OT. I see Moore strictly as a reserve. They will most likely move Jones to LT. Hopefully, Jones is continues to get stronger, develop, and he becomes firmly entrenched there. I was only saying 'versatile' to play as a swing OT.

Sorry bout that, meant to respond that if the left side is so important, Moore can still back up two positions, LT and LG. I am certain he’d be a better guard.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rlon said:

Sorry bout that, meant to respond that if the left side is so important, Moore can still back up two positions, LT and LG. I am certain he’d be a better guard.

Gotcha. You may be right, but I don't want to see them trying to convert him in the last year of his contract. They have done this before, but it has rarely worked. I remember @43M and I had a discussion about Willie Colon years ago.  I liked and supported him and I thought the Steelers should move him from OT and play him at OG because of his mauling ability. He was an under-sized OT at 6'3 and about the same weight as Moore. Most Steelers fans wanted him gone. He went to the Jets, played OG and was pretty good.  You never know....

I am on the other side with Moore, where, I have had three seasons of his play and have seen enough. I gave him a shot last year and he didn't flop, but didn't light it up either. Grade: C- to D+ With a young developing QB you need a B or higher on your blindside.

The thing with Moore is even if you think that, he needs a change of scenery at this point.  He needs fresh everything.  I think it’s tough on him to be thrust into that role, not really best fit for it, and start with blocking for a HOF QB.  

To me the big issue with Moore is that he struggles immensely at RT to the point you might not want to try him there at all.  So that sticks him to the left side.  For us, unless there’s a LG injury (where you likely put Herbig in anyways) Moore won’t see the field at all in season, so extending him would come from doing it blindly.

This is why I think for him just going into the year on a new team is the best option.  A team that will be fully invested on him being set at a spot rather than swing doing it all.