Vikings Sign RB Aaron Jones

Newcomer Aaron Jones, Sr., pulled in a quick pass from Darnold when the play was designed to get the running back a release past edge rusher Bo Richter. Jones smoothly cruised into the end zone.

On the next play, Jones unleashed a devasting cutback.

Jones has consistently shown his dual-threat abilities having rushed for 45 touchdowns and caught another 18.

vikings.com

I hope the reports about Jones from camp translate to the regular season. Unless Brandel really changes something in the running game, Jones is going to have to do a lot of creating on his own. They simply must have better production than they got from Mattison last year. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Aaron Jones explained that he's leveraging off-field collaboration with Vikings trainers to improve his health.

Jones: "I wanted to do some pre-hab prevention, and they were like, 'We were already thinking about that, we already have a card written up for you. You just tell us the body part, and we got you.' They really do, and I notice a difference from the first time I did it and times I don't do it and go out there. I'm ready, I'm tuned up and ready to go."

Between the team's handling of Jones, his own effort to remain healthy and his intelligence and instincts leading the way more than sheer speed, it isn't hard to be convinced that he can keep trucking. But the other important factor is that the Vikings aren't going to put everything on Jones' plate. The plan is to split carries with third-year speedster Ty Chandler, who averaged 4.5 yards per carry and took over RB1 duties at the end of last season.

vikings.com

• Like 1

Aaron Jones finished out his final season with the Packers by rushing for at least 108 yards in each of the team’s last five games, which included 39 carries for 226 yards in the team’s two playoff games. The Packers still seemed to think Jones would struggle to repeat that production as they asked him to take a pay cut after the year and he moved on to Minnesota after declining Green Bay’s request.

The Vikings would likely sign up for more of the same from Jones, but he said this week that he thinks he has even more room to climb in his eighth NFL season.

AJ: “I feel like every year, I’m getting better and better, and last year I felt like I was just about to start entering my prime. Those last five kind of showed, like, hey, the game’s slowing down a little more and more for me. I can see different things, and I’m able to hit different holes or set dudes up the way I want to, versus maybe before I hadn’t been able to because the game was still a little fast.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/aaron-jones-i-feel-like-im-getting-better-and-better-every-year

“This is the best I’ve ever felt heading into a season. I'm ready to have the best year of my career."

- Vikings RB Aaron Jones via Kevin Seifert of ESPN

Edited by vike daddy