DAY 3 OF FA MOCK

Karnage84

We're into day 3 of Free Agency (really it's Day 1 but we all know how this works). A projection on what some of these moves could impact what we do in the draft.

SIGNINGS/MOVES

• OG Graham Glasgow re-signed
  • OT Dan Skipper re-signed
  • CB Emanuel Moseley re-signed
  • CB Carlton Davis (trade)
  • CB Amik Robertson signed
  • CB Stephon Gilmore (we're rumoured to be top landing spot)
  • NT DJ Reader (he's visiting today and assuming he signs)
  • Edge Joey Bosa for pick #164 (r5) from LA Chargers; restructures deal to $9M cap hit, Chargers take on bulk of dead money

Pick #29 and #164 traded to LA Chargers for #37, #105 and Joey Bosa (Chargers shave some cap and take AD Mitchell to replace either Keenan Allen or Mike Williams)

#37 - Zach Frazier,OC/OG, West Virginia: Frazier has the ability to play OG and be a Pro Bowl level OC when Ragnow retires. 

#61 - Marshawn Kneeland, Edge, Western Michigan: Kneeland has been a bit of a riser in the process. He adds depth to the position and provides a future player opposite of Hutchinson (Davenport and Bosa are 1-2 year players)

#73 - Brenden Rice, WR, USC: Jerry Rice's son, offers nice size and athleticism as our WR3/X-WR. We probably add a veteran into this mix to add competition at the position

#105 - Jarvis Brownlee,CB, Louisville: What can I say, I'm a fan of Brownlee and his game. He offers good value in rd 4 and isn't going to be forced into a starting role with the additions that have been made in FA

#201 - Tanor Bortolini, OC, Wisconsin: Bortolini was one of the strongest performers at the combine at the position. He is arguably better suited in a zone-run based scheme. He's a value pick here in the 6th round and potentially can play OC long-term (keeping Frazier at OG). 

#205 - Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana: Thomas has the physical tools and athleticism to play OT or could inside to OG. The Lions do need to look at a future beyond Taylor Decker and Thomas could be a future swing tackle and develop into more

#249 - Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State: The Lions add another safety to play in the back end

NOT A COMPLETE DEPTH CHART

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Frazier

OC - Ragnow, Bortolini

RG - Glasgow

RT - Sewell, Thomas

QB - Goff

LWR - Rice

SWR -St Brown

RWR - Williams

TE - LaPorta

RB - Gibbs, Montgomery

RUSH - Hutchinson, Davenport

DT - McNeill

NT -Reader, Martin

DE - Bosa, Kneeland

ILB - Campbell, Barnes

ILB - Anzalone, Rodriguez

LCB - Sutton, Davis

SCB - Branch, Robertson

RCB - Gilmore, Brownlee

FS - Joseph

SS - Melifonwu, Oladapo

• Like 1

I like it other than I am not a fan of the Bosa family so hate bringing him here, even if it makes sense to.  Kalil Mack might be my preferred option if getting something from the Chargers. 

Draft wise, I have seen Frazier rising continually sort of like Ragnow did.  Seems like he might be the pick if we stay at 29 so not mad to move down and gain some value. 

I love adding Kneeland and Rice in those spots.  I think Rice will be a steal if he goes in the third.  Maybe not ARSB level good but he can be a very strong #2/3.  An offense with Rice and Jamo outside with ARSB in the slot, LaPorta at TE and Gibbs out of the backfield would be scary as long as we can keep Goff standing up.  Which you do in the draft with three OL. 

I don't love Brownlee like you do at this point.  I would prefer Abrams-Drain, Cam Hart, DJ Wallace or a couple guys I think will rise/go earlier than expected in Josh Wallace, Dwight McGlothern, and Jarius Monroe.  I will say I am just glad we get a CB to develop before the late rounds but given the addition of Gilmore in this mock, it makes sense to wait a little. 

I'm fine grabbing more OL late but might be a touch of overkill.  Its solid value so not mad and again keeping our OL a strength will be super important.  

Oladapo is my sleeper S for us.  He isn't overly athletic which is why he is so low on rankings but love grabbing him in this draft.  He is great against the run and can blitz like Iffy.  He has had very good grades in coverage for three years running. A lot like Ronnie Hickman last year.  

You beat me to the punch on Nathan Thomas.  He checks in at 6'5", 332 Lbs, with 33/75" arm length and 10.75" hands.  He has the tools to be an absolute beast at OG.  I like all of the players but I would have preferred another CB prospect.  If you had Virginia State CB Willie Drew Or Florida A&M CB Kendall Bohler in at 201 instead of Bortolini it would be really good.  I haven't seen him in any mocks but I suspect the Lions might have DT Khristian Boyd on their radar/   I am not sure where he slots he could be a surprise Rd 3 candidate also.

Edited by Just Want A Title

24 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I like it other than I am not a fan of the Bosa family so hate bringing him here, even if it makes sense to.  Kalil Mack might be my preferred option if getting something from the Chargers. 

Draft wise, I have seen Frazier rising continually sort of like Ragnow did.  Seems like he might be the pick if we stay at 29 so not mad to move down and gain some value. 

I love adding Kneeland and Rice in those spots.  I think Rice will be a steal if he goes in the third.  Maybe not ARSB level good but he can be a very strong #2/3.  An offense with Rice and Jamo outside with ARSB in the slot, LaPorta at TE and Gibbs out of the backfield would be scary as long as we can keep Goff standing up.  Which you do in the draft with three OL. 

I don't love Brownlee like you do at this point.  I would prefer Abrams-Drain, Cam Hart, DJ Wallace or a couple guys I think will rise/go earlier than expected in Josh Wallace, Dwight McGlothern, and Jarius Monroe.  I will say I am just glad we get a CB to develop before the late rounds but given the addition of Gilmore in this mock, it makes sense to wait a little. 

I'm fine grabbing more OL late but might be a touch of overkill.  Its solid value so not mad and again keeping our OL a strength will be super important.  

Oladapo is my sleeper S for us.  He isn't overly athletic which is why he is so low on rankings but love grabbing him in this draft.  He is great against the run and can blitz like Iffy.  He has had very good grades in coverage for three years running. A lot like Ronnie Hickman last year.  

I had a different version with a trade down to#47 with the Giants that included another edge guy (Cedric Johnson) and it felt like TOO much at the position, which then turned into "why don't we just work out a trade that involves the Lions getting Bosa in a trade back". 

That version had us getting Suamataia, Kneeland, Beebe,McGlothern, Omar Brown, Cedric Johnson, Hayden Hatten. I omitted Dwight as that pick was used in the Bosa trade. 

18 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm expecting JPJ will probably be taken in the early 20's which will push Frazier up the board. 

On 3/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, Karnage84 said:

We're into day 3 of Free Agency (really it's Day 1 but we all know how this works). A projection on what some of these moves could impact what we do in the draft.

SIGNINGS/MOVES

• OG Graham Glasgow re-signed
  • OT Dan Skipper re-signed
  • CB Emanuel Moseley re-signed
  • CB Carlton Davis (trade)
  • CB Amik Robertson signed
  • CB Stephon Gilmore (we're rumoured to be top landing spot)
  • NT DJ Reader (he's visiting today and assuming he signs)
  • Edge Joey Bosa for pick #164 (r5) from LA Chargers; restructures deal to $9M cap hit, Chargers take on bulk of dead money

Pick #29 and #164 traded to LA Chargers for #37, #105 and Joey Bosa (Chargers shave some cap and take AD Mitchell to replace either Keenan Allen or Mike Williams)

#37 - Zach Frazier,OC/OG, West Virginia: Frazier has the ability to play OG and be a Pro Bowl level OC when Ragnow retires. 

#61 - Marshawn Kneeland, Edge, Western Michigan: Kneeland has been a bit of a riser in the process. He adds depth to the position and provides a future player opposite of Hutchinson (Davenport and Bosa are 1-2 year players)

#73 - Brenden Rice, WR, USC: Jerry Rice's son, offers nice size and athleticism as our WR3/X-WR. We probably add a veteran into this mix to add competition at the position

#105 - Jarvis Brownlee,CB, Louisville: What can I say, I'm a fan of Brownlee and his game. He offers good value in rd 4 and isn't going to be forced into a starting role with the additions that have been made in FA

#201 - Tanor Bortolini, OC, Wisconsin: Bortolini was one of the strongest performers at the combine at the position. He is arguably better suited in a zone-run based scheme. He's a value pick here in the 6th round and potentially can play OC long-term (keeping Frazier at OG). 

#205 - Nathan Thomas, OT, Louisiana: Thomas has the physical tools and athleticism to play OT or could inside to OG. The Lions do need to look at a future beyond Taylor Decker and Thomas could be a future swing tackle and develop into more

#249 - Kitan Oladapo, S, Oregon State: The Lions add another safety to play in the back end

NOT A COMPLETE DEPTH CHART

LT - Decker, Skipper

LG - Frazier

OC - Ragnow, Bortolini

RG - Glasgow

RT - Sewell, Thomas

QB - Goff

LWR - Rice

SWR -St Brown

RWR - Williams

TE - LaPorta

RB - Gibbs, Montgomery