2024 NFL Draft Thread - Rumors/News

5 hours ago, indifference said:

we signed randy gregory today on a cheap deal. I like the move 

Same. 1 year and $5M. He's reuniting with his pass rush coach from Dallas here, where he had his best seasons.

He's got a real chance to start opposite Diaby.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Same. 1 year and $5M. He's reuniting with his pass rush coach from Dallas here, where he had his best seasons.

Clear cut starter as of now. Think we will draft an EDGE and probably have to rotate the rookie in with JTS

• Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 11:45 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Absolutely. This Oline  class if very deep. It's got everything, the blue chip LT prospects, the versatile tackles who can play either spot, the raw athleticism guys, the road graders, etc.

I think you're likely going to see Alt, Fashanu, Latham, Fuaga all go in the top-15. Then that next tier/run on OT's probably start in late teens or early 20's with likes of Fautanu, Mims, Barton and Guyton all being potential picks. I'm sure Powers-Johnson will probably be in the grouping as well. There are tons of names here and potentoial for one of them to make it to 26. 

Honestly though, I'm fine waiting until round (2) if needed to get some OG/C help. This class has the depth to get a very good/polished starter in 2nd-3rd rounds. I really like guys like Zach Frazier and Christian Haynes for where we'll be in the 2nd. Especially Haynes. He seems like a great fit for what Coen likes to do in the run game and the need for athletic gaurds. 

I agree with you on ILB class being really weak. The only guy that should even sniff the late 1st is Edgerrin Cooper. I like him as a prospect and wouldn't hate the pick if the board fell that way, but like you said in a 3-4 defense the ILB isn't nearly as important IMO as a MIKE in a 4-3. You can find very capable starters for the ILB anywhere from rounds 2-5 in most drafts. I could totally see Bowles though falling in love with Cooper's skill-set.

Bowles fell in love with Devin Whites' skill set - probably the reason why we kept him 5 years to see if he could develop. He wasn't traded last offseason bc his value was a day 3 return which at the end of the day - was our best option. White's IQ was a miss. HUGE miss. 

Unless your defense is stacked up front at DT/EDGE and even Corner - i'm not taking an ILB in first round thats worth it. I'd honestly prioritize a #2 RB over ILB in this years draft in rounds 1-4. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2024 at 12:25 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

Agreed. I think this could spell the end of Tryon or Nelson - whether its a trade during the draft or summer. I don't think this rules us out taking an Edge rusher in rounds 1, 2 or 3. Outside of Latu - it'll be a learning curve for a day 2 prospect or Chop Robinson in late first. 

21 hours ago, indifference said:

Clear cut starter as of now. Think we will draft an EDGE and probably have to rotate the rookie in with JTS

or Nelson. I think that final roster spot will be between 1 of the 2. Nelson is decent and consistent. JTS - you still are hoping he develops bc the talent is there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Bowles fell in love with Devin Whites' skill set - probably the reason why we kept him 5 years to see if he could develop. He wasn't traded last offseason bc his value was a day 3 return which at the end of the day - was our best option. White's IQ was a miss. HUGE miss. 

Unless your defense is stacked up front at DT/EDGE and even Corner - i'm not taking an ILB in first round thats worth it. I'd honestly prioritize a #2 RB over ILB in this years draft in rounds 1-4. 

Right, which is why I said a few posts back that I could see Bowles pounding the table for Cooper - because he has a weakness for these types of LBs. He's cut from the same cloth athletically, but I think he understands coverages much better than White ever did coming into the league.

I'm not advocating for us to take Cooper. Like I said, I think the ILB spot in a 3-4 is lowest on the todem pole of any defensive spot, but I can't rule out it happening given our coach's past draft prowess and how Licht works in conjunction with the coaches input. 

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Agreed. I think this could spell the end of Tryon or Nelson - whether its a trade during the draft or summer. I don't think this rules us out taking an Edge rusher in rounds 1, 2 or 3. Outside of Latu - it'll be a learning curve for a day 2 prospect or Chop Robinson in late first. 

Honestly, I think we'd be better off just keeping JTS and Nelson at this point. We're not getting anything of value that is going to contribute to the roster right away like they will. I'd rather have that competition and depth.

Given Gregory's contract, it's possible he could even be gone if he doesn't show well in camp/early on. His personality and past tend to get him in hot water. 

Like you said, none of this precludes us from taking an EDGE early on. It's a huge area of need for this team, even with all (3) of players mentioned above on the roster. 

4 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Honestly, I think we'd be better off just keeping JTS and Nelson at this point. We're not getting anything of value that is going to contribute to the roster right away like they will. I'd rather have that competition and depth.

Given Gregory's contract, it's possible he could even be gone if he doesn't show well in camp/early on. His personality and past tend to get him in hot water. 

Like you said, none of this precludes us from taking an EDGE early on. It's a huge area of need for this team, even with all (3) of players mentioned above on the roster. 

Agreed. Gregory is a risky signing for the locker room and the contract doesn't gurantee him to be on the final 53 lol. Good call. 

I think Licht sees that if a scenario where Latu doesn't fall and we don't get one of the pass rushers with a first round grade - he's just going to flood with depth and hope a rotation gets the job done or one of the 4-5 guys stand out. Diaby is the only one I can confidently say is locked as a starter. 

I still think Nelson needs to add 15 lbs and play the 5 tech for depth lol but thats just me

The more I think about it - the chances of Barton or Powers Johnson being there at 26 are slim. With the depth of this class - I'm not entirely sure I'd move up for any of those guys either. I think the Eagles, Dolphins, and Steelers are prime slots for those two. Best bet is the top 6 QBs go in the top 13 : We know the top 3 are going QBs: Then McCarthy/Penix/Nix all are off the board to Minnesota, Denver, Vegas. 

That said, I think something like this could be realistic: 

1st: Chop Robinson EDGE PSU: Great athlete. Needs to learn how to use his hands more. 

2nd: Cooper Beebe G KSU : Mauler that can step in next to Wirfs right away. 

3rd: Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson 

3Rd: Ray Davis RB Kentucky

4th: Luke McCaffrey WR Rice

6th: Beaux Limmer C Arkansas 

6th: Johnny Dixon CB Penn State

7th: Jaelyn Ford LB Texas

• Like 3

9 hours ago, indifference said:

Jason Licht on the Rich Eisen show said that there were one or two guys that we'd love to get up to. 

Gotta think its for Latu or JPJ. Something to keep an eye on when draft day hits

I think if we did for Latu  - I'm ok with it. 

For Powers Johnson? I think i can live with getting an interior guard in round 2 and living with Hainsey another year. 

• Like 3

Not saying this bc I want it to happen or it Will by any means. 

But long term - it's rather difficult to pay two receivers 20+ MM a year. Godwin as a Free Agent after the season. 

I don't believe Godwin would be a huge cap hit to any team this year if traded. 

If Buffalo offered a 2nd and say 5th next year or this year - would you take it if Godwin is not in your long term plans to resign next march? 

McDermott might over pay to get atleast one veteran receiver since he's probably on the Super Bowl or bust hotseat. 

Evans is still a stud regardless of being 10 years in and he's just 30 so we should get another 2 elite years out of him. 

This receiver class has significant depth of talent through 4-5 rounds to take 2 receivers on a 4 year rookie contract. 

Thoughts? 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 11:02 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Not saying this bc I want it to happen or it Will by any means. 

But long term - it's rather difficult to pay two receivers 20+ MM a year. Godwin as a Free Agent after the season. 

I don't believe Godwin would be a huge cap hit to any team this year if traded. 

If Buffalo offered a 2nd and say 5th next year or this year - would you take it if Godwin is not in your long term plans to resign next march? 

McDermott might over pay to get atleast one veteran receiver since he's probably on the Super Bowl or bust hotseat. 

Evans is still a stud regardless of being 10 years in and he's just 30 so we should get another 2 elite years out of him. 

This receiver class has significant depth of talent through 4-5 rounds to take 2 receivers on a 4 year rookie contract. 

Thoughts? 

I just thought about this the other day and actually I've seen some rumors out there that teams are kicking the tires on our willingness to move Godwin during the draft. Like you said, I don't think ti happens because this team remains in a win now mode/window.

If it was up to me and I could get a 2nd round pick for him (or more), I would do it now. He's going to be 29 when his deal is up and is on that cusp of decline. As much as I love Godwin and what he is, he's not a scoring threat. He's a chain mover and I think you can find that value in draft on a much cheaper deal.

With the emergence of Palmer last season, I think we'd still be in a good spot. Evans is still a legit #1 WR and Palmer emerged as that slot WR with deepball/homerun ability. 

• Like 2