2024 NFL Draft Thread - Rumors/News

On 4/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, RedandPewterReturns said:

Not saying this bc I want it to happen or it Will by any means. 

But long term - it's rather difficult to pay two receivers 20+ MM a year. Godwin as a Free Agent after the season. 

I don't believe Godwin would be a huge cap hit to any team this year if traded. 

If Buffalo offered a 2nd and say 5th next year or this year - would you take it if Godwin is not in your long term plans to resign next march? 

McDermott might over pay to get atleast one veteran receiver since he's probably on the Super Bowl or bust hotseat. 

Evans is still a stud regardless of being 10 years in and he's just 30 so we should get another 2 elite years out of him. 

This receiver class has significant depth of talent through 4-5 rounds to take 2 receivers on a 4 year rookie contract. 

Thoughts? 

Yeah I would take it. He's a good WR but for what he offers we could find in the draft. 

I'll be curious to see what we do at the TE spot. Otten showed some promise as a saftey valve, but I think he's hit his ceiling as far as what he can become in the pass game. Nothing wrong with it, but he's not the seam/field stretcher. I think we may scale him back too, as it seems all the passing game targets ate into his blocking ability as well. 

Payne Durham is still an unknown, but I think there is some upside there. Kieft is great blocker, but you put him in the game and teams know what's coming.

I'd like to see us take a chance on Jared Wiley from TCU. If you havn't watched him yet, go do so. His game and build is about as close to Gronk as I've seen from TE spot in a while. 

On 4/17/2024 at 8:53 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

I'll be curious to see what we do at the TE spot. Otten showed some promise as a saftey valve, but I think he's hit his ceiling as far as what he can become in the pass game. Nothing wrong with it, but he's not the seam/field stretcher. I think we may scale him back too, as it seems all the passing game targets ate into his blocking ability as well. 

Payne Durham is still an unknown, but I think there is some upside there. Kieft is great blocker, but you put him in the game and teams know what's coming.

I'd like to see us take a chance on Jared Wiley from TCU. If you havn't watched him yet, go do so. His game and build is about as close to Gronk as I've seen from TE spot in a while. 

I'm for upgrading this position but if i'm being realistic - outside of Brock Bowers, I'm not sure theres much to offer in this draft. Maybe try to hit on a day 3 flyer like you're mentioning above, but I know nothing about Wiley. My research tells me this class is super weak. I feel the same way about ILB - probably better to ride with Dennis and Britt then to reach on day 2 in either the 2nd or 3rd. 

27 minutes ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

I'm for upgrading this position but if i'm being realistic - outside of Brock Bowers, I'm not sure theres much to offer in this draft. Maybe try to hit on a day 3 flyer like you're mentioning above, but I know nothing about Wiley. My research tells me this class is super weak. I feel the same way about ILB - probably better to ride with Dennis and Britt then to reach on day 2 in either the 2nd or 3rd. 

TE class is weak. We missed our chances past couple years. Otton is a TE2 in my eyes but we could look to upgrade at a later date.

On 4/17/2024 at 5:53 AM, kgarrett12486 said:

What's his round projection?

1 hour ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Yah, it's not a good class, especially at the top of the class. I'm not even a Bowers fan, as I think him not wanting to test at all (combine and pro day) would be a big red flag to me considering most TE's you see go in the top 10 range are all elite RAS score guys and he doesn't seem to be on that same level. 

I do think there is some value in the middle rounds. 

Lots of rumors right now on where we might be headed in draft:

-Apparently we're not happy at all with Logan Hall's development/play thus far and TB is pushing for replacement. They apparently have Byron Murphy and Johnny Newton high on their board.

-We will be drafting a WR in first (4) rounds, as it's imparitive for Coen's scheme (3 wide sets on almost 75% of plays) and they don't feel they have the depth along with Godwin going into contract year. 

-Licht has never drafted a 1st round OG/C, but may buck that trend this year.

24 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Lots of rumors right now on where we might be headed in draft:

-Apparently we're not happy at all with Logan Hall's development/play thus far and TB is pushing for replacement. They apparently have Byron Murphy and Johnny Newton high on their board.

-We will be drafting a WR in first (4) rounds, as it's imparitive for Coen's scheme (3 wide sets on almost 75% of plays) and they don't feel they have the depth along with Godwin going into contract year. 

-Licht has never drafted a 1st round OG/C, but may buck that trend this year.

Hall stinks so I understand. Vea is 29 and is going to regress at any moment. I think he has 2 years tops of high level ball. 

17 hours ago, indifference said:

https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-mock-draft-2024-final-pewter-report/

Would be a wonderful haul IMO. 

2 day 1 starters, and 2 key rotational players that fits depth needs. I'd probably go CB over RB though personally.

Ya they're normally within range and have some solid alternatives to the round 1 selection. I didn't like their one prior where it has us converting Tyler Guyton to LG? Dude was raw as an OL - just can't see it as a first rounder. 

I think the Bucs will have a handful of players in mind for 26. 

- Both Centers/Guard prospects Jackson Powers Johnson and Graham Barton

- Edge Rushers Latu and Chop Robinson (Jared Verse if he somehow slips) 

- Cooper Dejean 

- WR Brian Thomas (long shot) 

If somehow, someway, none of those guys are available - I think trading down is a real option. But I see one of those players a Buc after Thursday. 

9 hours ago, RedandPewterReturns said:

Ya they're normally within range and have some solid alternatives to the round 1 selection. I didn't like their one prior where it has us converting Tyler Guyton to LG? Dude was raw as an OL - just can't see it as a first rounder. 

I think the Bucs will have a handful of players in mind for 26. 

- Both Centers/Guard prospects Jackson Powers Johnson and Graham Barton

- Edge Rushers Latu and Chop Robinson (Jared Verse if he somehow slips) 

- Cooper Dejean 

- WR Brian Thomas (long shot) 

If somehow, someway, none of those guys are available - I think trading down is a real option. But I see one of those players a Buc after Thursday. 

Sadly, I've heard that most teams have now cleared him medically. I think he's probably going top 10-15 range.

Name I keep hearing that we're in love with is Marshawn Kneeland. He could be a target with a trade back.