Trading up/Trading back Scenarios

Big T

It seems like the very real scenarios that are presenting itself to the Jets. The real outlier is that the Jets stay put which IMHO is the best option. So let's consider the two alternatives to the Jets standing pat and allowing the board to fall to them.

The question should be, What will it cost to move up, and why move up when you are guaranteed a blue chip player either at WR or OT. I believe the likelihood of a blue chip OT being available at 10 is a no brainer and a need that we could address as a 10 year player for the franchise.

So what would it cost say to move up to the 5th spot from 10, well according to the draft chart of points 400 or a 2nd rounder. But let's be realistic here, it would cost a ton more, besides this years 1 perhaps next years one as well. So is it worth it, to move up at the expense of next years top players? Not in my estimation.

The Jets sent at the least a 3rd rounder which could turn out to be a second rounder in 2026 for Reddick, but for 2025 I guess this is possible, but does it make sense? The answer is no IMHO, the WR class is deep with extremely fast WR's who would be available in the second or third rounds. Players who could stretch the field. 

This is the type of player the Jets need, they don't need another Wilson, they need a speed burner who can keep the defenses honest. They don't need another Mike Williams.

So do the Jets forfeit next years draft capitol for a WR like Nabers or Harrison or stay put lose nothing and grab the best OT and at present 50-50 that Alt finds his way to the Jets.

The second scenario is that someone falls or someone's value allows the Jets to trade out, pick up a valued 2nd rounder or perhaps a 3rd rounder package a couple of thirds or a third and a forth and move back  up into the second round and meet a need.

So what would it take? It would take some team who thinks a particular player is worth moving up for, say a Bowers, Penix, Nix, WR, or OT. A scenario which could play out, so IMHO I can see something emerge where the Jets have a trade partner down. 

Now there is another scenario we could throw in place, and that is the Jets move down prior to the draft. The Jets recoup a second rounder or 3rd rounder prior to the draft and the Jets just sit and wait for the board to play out.

Of the 3, the possibility of trading back or prior to the draft would be one that I could see happening. Minnesota didn't wait to accumulate a second first round pick and I think it is a safe bet they are going all in on a QB and trading up. Is it so out of the question that the Jets trade back prior to the draft and remain high enough in the pecking order to draft a top OT and come away with more draft capitol?

So there you have it, the reasons for and against moving up, for moving down, and for just staying put and allowing the board to fall to the Jets.

I don't know if it will cost that much if the first 4 picks are QB's. No one else will be pay big to move up with the QB's gone. The price is only high if a QB is on the board. It is very rare for a team to over pay for any other spot besides a QB. Pick 4 is the hot spot. Do the Cards draft a QB and move on from Murray? Do they draft Harrison, trade down to a team that wants JJ. It all depends on pick 4 for the price of 5, 6, and 7. 

Shaping up for us to miss out on the WRs.  Is there a player worth jumping up to 10 for?  Will Minnesota be picking QB top 5?  If so then will Denver or Vegas need to trade up?  There are so many OL available no one needs to jump up.  Is Bowers worth trading up for?

Our best scenario is Odunze dropping or we try to get another 3rd round pick and then grab best OL available.  Fashanu and Fuaga would be great value in the teens.  Fautanu(sp) would be great insurance this season then we pick what position he should play next year.  Then if we have two 3s we can jump up to grab our WR in the 2nd.  Round out with S and QB in the 4th.  This is what I'm leaning towards at the moment.  Hard to trust our OL and that's what our season hinges on.

4 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't know if it will cost that much if the first 4 picks are QB's. No one else will be pay big to move up with the QB's gone. The price is only high if a QB is on the board. It is very rare for a team to over pay for any other spot besides a QB. Pick 4 is the hot spot. Do the Cards draft a QB and move on from Murray? Do they draft Harrison, trade down to a team that wants JJ. It all depends on pick 4 for the price of 5, 6, and 7. 

I don't see MHJ getting past the Cards, but I see a ton of teams trying to jump into the top 10 for any of the top 6 QBs. This QB class is full of low-floor, high ceiling prospects with elite tools - no way anyone who is QB needy (and a lot are) are going to sit and hope one falls to them later in the draft. Bears #2, Chargers, and Giants are all probable trade spots for those teams since they will also benefit the most from have more picks to fill all their holes.