Bowlers mock

Bowler1215

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Odunze is like big DJ Moore to me.  Does everything at a "very good" level.  Doesn't have elite speed or joystickiness like Nabers but seems more complete and less risky.

Had a thought in the middle of the night, which my wife was somehow completely uninterested in and even seemed a little annoyed (not like that would really be possible in this draft) but:  what if Poles is motivated to draft a WR to prove he can scout them out of college? He's had a number of underwhelming choices. What if on some level he wants to show he doesn't just know how to get ones that are already good like Moore/Allen? Far dumber things have driven GMs.

I’ll give you Velus (who I like as a KR but was clearly overdrafted for a WR role), but despite year 1 results for Tyler Scott having been underwhelming, I think it’s too early to conclude that Poles “can’t scout” WR. Scott was a 4th round pick (133rd overall and the 17th WR drafted) playing as a tertiary option in a bad passing offense with a QB who really struggled getting past reads 1 and 2 overall. Poles hasn’t hit on a WR yet, but he also hasn’t invested anything more than a low percentage selection on the position in the draft on it either after 2 years.

I’m not predicting here that Scott will make a jump to being a 1000 yard guy in year 2 but I don’t think it’s out of the question at all if he’s our primary WR3 (and likely 4th or 5th passing option on most plays) that he put up 30-40 catches and 500+ yards. He’s clearly got talent - such that basically everyone in here needed a towel when we were able to draft him where we did. He doesn’t need to put up gaudy numbers to be an asset in that role - he just needs to win his matchups and come through more often than not when called upon. This scheme (and the addition of Allen) should put him in more favorable matchups, and this QB should be better equipped to get him the ball in a position to succeed.

6 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’ll give you Velus (who I like as a KR but was clearly overdrafted for a WR role), but despite year 1 results for Tyler Scott having been underwhelming, I think it’s too early to conclude that Poles “can’t scout” WR. Scott was a 4th round pick (133rd overall and the 17th WR drafted) playing as a tertiary option in a bad passing offense with a QB who really struggled getting past reads 1 and 2 overall. Poles hasn’t hit on a WR yet, but he also hasn’t invested anything more than a low percentage selection on the position in the draft on it either after 2 years.

I’m not predicting here that Scott will make a jump to being a 1000 yard guy in year 2 but I don’t think it’s out of the question at all if he’s our primary WR3 (and likely 4th or 5th passing option on most plays) that he put up 30-40 catches and 500+ yards. He’s clearly got talent - such that basically everyone in here needed a towel when we were able to draft him where we did. He doesn’t need to put up gaudy numbers to be an asset in that role - he just needs to win his matchups and come through more often than not when called upon. This scheme (and the addition of Allen) should put him in more favorable matchups, and this QB should be better equipped to get him the ball in a position to succeed.

Remains to be seen on Scott,  fair points and another to add was that he and Fields seemed to have poor timing together, in fact Fields' timing seemed reserved for Moore and to a lesser extent Kmet.   Also, I'm not calling Poles a failure at scouting WR, but just wondering aloud if he might have the feeling that people see him as bad at it, and whther that may play into wanting to get one right in this draft. We'll certainly never know, however if we do get Odunze a) yay b)it won't stop me from declaring victory as an armchair GM psychiatrist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Remains to be seen on Scott,  fair points and another to add was that he and Fields seemed to have poor timing together, in fact Fields' timing seemed reserved for Moore and to a lesser extent Kmet.   Also, I'm not calling Poles a failure at scouting WR, but just wondering aloud if he might have the feeling that people see him as bad at it, and whther that may play into wanting to get one right in this draft. We'll certainly never know, however if we do get Odunze a) yay b)it won't stop me from declaring victory as an armchair GM psychiatrist

I used to argue about this with JAF but most 3rd round picks (and on) stink, so I wouldn't say Poles can't scout WR's. Yeah, teams find good players in these rounds, but it's statistically a lot more difficult. If he takes Odunze or Nabers and they aren't good, ok there might be an argument, but for now? I'm not ready to go there.

18 hours ago, BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW said:

Odunze is like big DJ Moore to me.  Does everything at a "very good" level.  Doesn't have elite speed or joystickiness like Nabers but seems more complete and less risky.

Had a thought in the middle of the night, which my wife was somehow completely uninterested in and even seemed a little annoyed (not like that would really be possible in this draft) but:  what if Poles is motivated to draft a WR to prove he can scout them out of college? He's had a number of underwhelming choices. What if on some level he wants to show he doesn't just know how to get ones that are already good like Moore/Allen? Far dumber things have driven GMs.

And yet I see him as a faster version of Keenan Allen whereas Nabers is more like Moore.  He's the YAC guy in that trio of top WR.  MHJr is most peoples top guy yet some believe Nabers is.  Odunze comes in third but a whole lot of scouts, GMs, coaches, and analysts say there's little difference between him and MHJr.  What I favor with him is his versatility.  He can play X or he can play as a big slot guy.

As usual Poles has created a situation prior to the draft by trading for Allen that allows him to be more flexible with that #9 pick.  Even tonight I'd be willing to be they still haven't decided on how they'll play it.  All I can say is for me if Odunze is on the board at #9 it would take a very good offer to get me to trade that pick.  He is the perfect guy to replace Keenan Allen in 2025 or 2026.

21 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If he takes Odunze or Nabers and they aren't good, ok there might be an argument, but for now? I'm not ready to go there.

And even then, if he takes Nabers or Odunze and they bust then everyone was wrong on them. I haven’t seen anyone say anything other than that both are destined for stardom for months now.