2024: Around the NFL

Forge

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

Lol agreed, but I don’t think it’s going to save their season. 

Not even a little bit.  How do the Jets look at how they're playing and think "We're just one WR away".  They are 2 and freakin 4, and not as good as their record indicates.

I like Jeff Ulbric, but I don't think he stands a chance to succeed in NY.  He's basically bearded Robert Saleh.  

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Not even a little bit.  How do the Jets look at how they're playing and think "We're just one WR away".  They are 2 and freakin 4, and not as good as their record indicates.

I like Jeff Ulbric, but I don't think he stands a chance to succeed in NY.  He's basically bearded Robert Saleh.  

Exactly! lol 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Exactly! lol 

See, I think the Jets will still be in playoff contention (if perhaps fall short). They have a very soft schedule the rest of the way, were on the low end of the middle in terms of DVOA and point differential up to this point and a good chunk of that was the offense which I do think will pick up past the average point. And like I said, a slightly above average team is going to win a chunk of games given their upcoming schedule.

Now, they aren't going to be championship contenders, IMO. Just too many jumps to make in their statistical profile for that. But it changes a team that wasn't going to make the playoffs to one that can at least challenge. And I think that's somewhat noteworthy.

As we've seen with just about every team in the NFL, if you don't have premium talent on rookie deals, you will struggle to win. The Cowboys' window with Lamb and Parsons overlapping rookie deals being equal to a premium young QB has run out. Ours with Purdy and Aiyuk is coming to an end. The Eagles' has run thin. Right now, the Chiefs are doing it with their young defensive corps, the Texans with Stroud and Anderson, the Lions with most non-Goff pieces, the Packers with their receiver room, the Vikings at QB. The Bills are leaning on young defensive pieces and receivers. The Ravens are similar to the Chiefs where they rely on young defensive talent.

It really helps if your young QB that was good with rookie QB level support is really that dude when he gets paid. It's why I think the Bengals will bounce back and the Jags won't. It's why we can probably stay relevant with less. But we are going to need a premium dude on a rookie deal. Probably a pass rusher or a corner or a tackle because those are the most obvious important holes next year. Puni and Green have been huge helps. Mustapha and Brown will at least be reasonably useful in that regard. If Pearsall is the Z next year, that's a huge win. But we've got to have cheaper pieces across some important spots if we want to have any depth at all.

Edited by JIllg

Just now, JIllg said:

SIGGGGGGHHHHH

When we drafted him, I kept thinking about DJ Reed with him.  Guess he took that comp super seriously and even followed his path by becoming a stud after leaving

• Like 2