Mock Draft

Much love to all. Happy D-Day.  Like Christmas we all know what we want but we're all preparing for disappointment. Shout out Ted Thompson I miss your musk. RIP Legend guide us over the next few days.

I use multiple players from certain positions for each pick among the same tier of player and try to map out a draft I believe is realistic. I don't like tying my hopes and dreams to individual players but I do have a full on plan to get what I want in house.

1.25 Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama. Cooper Dejean, DB, Iowa.

~ I believe one of these three will be available at this point and will be the best player available. Wiggins' speed and size makes him a special talent in a tier above the other two. He can add 10 pounds and still be the same coverage guy. I think he can exceed Jaire as a player. Kool-Aid is a proven commodity high quality CB2 immediately and certainly worth pick 25. Dejean has the questionable tape for me as a CB regarding boundary play and CoD, but I can get behind him based off his playmaking.

Pick I will hate: Amarius Mims isn't going to be on the field unless we move someone to Guard and frankly I'm not interested in hurting Zach Tom's career.

2.41 Jackson Powers-Johnson, Oregon. Jordan Morgan, Arizona. Cooper Beebe, IOL.

~ Finding an immediate starting IOL would be nice either to replace of push what's in house. JPJ would be an easy pick and gives us outs in the future at C or G. Morgan is more likely available and could play T as well. Beebe I'm sure will play up to starting caliber immediately despite a slightly lower ceiling. Very tempted to get a Linebacker at this pick, but I don't believe one will be available and of value here (Edge Cooper is cool here as would be Payton Wilson).

Pick I will hate: Tyler Guyton is a total wild card down to down for me a la Rasheed Walker's college game in that some downs he looks like Jake Long and other downs he appears to fail athletically. Walker went much, much later but didn't have the same lead up to the draft.

2.58 Tyler Nubin, Minnesota, Cole Bishop, Utah. Kamren Kinchens, Miami, S.

~ We all know Gute and Hafley want interchangeable skill sets on the backend. Regardless of combine/pro day testing both Nubin and Kinchens they can both play in our secondary based on how active they are. If you like Cooper Dejean, Bishop is actually a player I'd gladly take here instead for value. He's been avoided in coverage while making plays regardless.

Pick I will hate: Jaden Hicks, S. Couldn't find a sauce on deep end coverage of him and actually made me remember Josh Jones.

3.88 Jeremiah Trotter, Clemson. Jaylan Ford, Texas. Trevin Wallace, Kentucky. LB.

~ I believe starting next to Quay is McDuffie's job to lose. That being said I see him losing it.  I give Trotter the edge over Wallace because I feel he's developed more although Wallace has a better physical set. Jaylan Ford made every play a player can make at Texas via both pass and run. Would prefer Quay just lives up to expectations.

3.91 Will Shipley, Clemson. Audric Estime, Notre Dame. Jaylen Wright, Tennessee. RB.

~ Shipley should be a bigger less slippery Aaron Jones by the end of his sophomore season. Estime is another whack at the AJ Dillon tree. Wright is as gifted an athlete as available this year although I admit, Tennessee's running game was very user friendly.

Pick I will hate at 88, 91: Runningbacks without a special trait. Wide Receivers still through here.

4.126 Jonah Eliss, Utah, Edge. Elijah Jones, Boston College, CB. Hunter Nourzad, Sandusky St.  C.

~ Very difficult to group tiers of a single position group so I want to target at this point in the draft so I wanted to highlight a few players I would label as "my guys" here. Jonah Eliss has a day 1 repertoire of rush moves with average power to win with but may get swallowed by NFL OL. Elijah Jones is one of my top 5 players I think Hafley would like to add--his tape is nice and he's got the size/speed. Nourzad would mean the team is down on Myers beyond 2024 but he will be a starter whenever you ask him to be.

5.169 Javon Foster, Missouri. Christian Jones, Texas. Matt Lee, Miami. OL.

~ Foster could provide depth at T and G. Jones is a nice floor for both T spots in the event of injury. Matt Lee could already start at C if pass blocking was the only thing he had to do.

6.202 Sione Vaki, Mark Perry, Ryan Watts, S.

~ Need another body back here. All these guys have premium athletic ability to be on an NFL field. 

6.219 McCallen Castles, AJ Barner, Tip Reiman, TE/H-Back.

~ Castles is an average athlete with H-Back experience. Reiman is a similar flyer but a big bigger. Barner can run block like a real TE3/4 and is so little of a receiving threat you can almost see him getting open on power sets.

7.245 Taulia Tagovailoa, QB, Maryland. Maybe a K/P for competition. Bob Weadababyeatsaboy.

~ I will shout out Taulia as a legitimate prospect. I'd take a good kicker and punter this late even.

7.255 To my future self when you look at this I will never give you up, never let you down, never run around, or hurt you. 

Busts: Daniels, Latham as a T, Suamataia, Penix, Nix, Corum, Worthy, Tampa.

Draft is overrated at WR. It's actually only 6 deep with Pro Bowlers in MHJ, Nabers, Oduze, Thomas jr, Mitchell, McConkey.

I didn't proofread, sorry ahead of time.

• Like 1

Not Nate Wiggins, stick-man - he'll get trampled underfoot, so say Led Zeppelin.

There are plenty of the other picks that I do like. I'm a fan of ILB Trotter in the 3rd (which you have) and Eichenberg in the 4th as a "got it all covered" draft, at least for ILBs. 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

36 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Not Nate Wiggins, stick-man - he'll get trampled underfoot, so say Led Zeppelin.

There are plenty of the other picks that I do like. I'm a fan of ILB Trotter in the 3rd (which you have) and Eichenberg in the 4th as a "got it all covered" draft, at least for ILBs. 

He needs cheese? Perfect. 

Eichenberg in the 4th sounds awesome. Just give me a LB of 4th round value or better and I’m satisfied.