Detroit selects at #132: Sione Vaki, S/RB Utah

General Tso

The versatility comes into play only in emergency situations. Vaki is clearly meant as a core ST player who might have a better chance of filling in at a variety of slots in case of a very bad injury rash that saps multiple levels of a given position.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I see that reasoning but from everything he and the Lions have said, they expect him to be a RB and special teams player.  If he doesn't practice with the SDB's, he won't be a good S.  If he doesn't practice with the RB's, he won't develop as a RB.  If they have him in both spots they will take away development from the other.  Its the same reason players in baseball dont play both ways other than Ohtani.  It takes a lot of time and preparation to play your one position, to do 2 is exhausting.  I think it would make more sense to use him as a S and if needed playing RB is easier but to try and be cohesive with the whole defense as a S without full time practice there, I wouldn't trust him. 

I agree that it limits development but it could be that this is evolving position in the NFL. Guys who won't necessarily be starters but can develop good utility, enough to give roster flexibility.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, detfan782004 said:

This isn't baseball with super utility players. 

Maybe not but I could see him adding value as a Kickoff Returner for sure.  He will have a big role on special teams but he if the Lions see a way to get production from him in other ways, so be it.  He seems to have the potential to have multiple roles even if each one is limited.

2 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Campbell came from New Orleans who uses Taysom Hill.

So I definitely can see the same kind of inspiration (besides a QB)

Yea if he was playing one side of ball. Taysom

Isn't playing significant snaps outside of offense 

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

Campbell came from New Orleans who uses Taysom Hill.

So I definitely can see the same kind of inspiration (besides a QB)

Playing two offensive roles or two defensive roles is different than one of each while also playing special teams. 

3 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Playing two offensive roles or two defensive roles is different than one of each while also playing special teams. 

We also have Rodrigo. 

I'm not even saying Vaki is playing Safety, because I'm not sure he will. Just saying Campbell has precedence for this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, General Tso said:

We also have Rodrigo. 

I'm not even saying Vaki is playing Safety, because I'm not sure he will. Just saying Campbell has precedence for this.

But he doesn't. Because Taysom isn't a comparison. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Sure both a fruit but not close to each other in any other capacity 

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

But he doesn't. Because Taysom isn't a comparison. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Sure both a fruit but not close to each other in any other capacity 

I literally just said Rodrigo's name, but ok.

This was the most questionable pick to me, but I guess if they think he can be a special teams ace and be like a fourth string RB then that's not worthless considering where he was drafted.