Detroit selects at #132: Sione Vaki, S/RB Utah

General Tso

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

This just feels like Agnew 2.0

Definitely think he makes his initial impact on ST. But I trust Ben Johnson to use him on 4th down plays. God knows that Lions utilise more 4th down gadgets than any other team. Dude is just a football player. He can and will play in all 3 phases. People are getting too worked up on the letters after his name. He’s a weapon. 

• Like 1

Just now, Sllim Pickens said:

I don’t quite get drafting him as a RB.  I also don’t get drafting a RB that high if that’s how we see him.  I’m sure we have a plan for him but this is another head scratcher. 

I just knocked my grade down hearing the RB crap. 

As I've thought about the pick I've thought about all the discussions we have as roster cuts are made at the end of training camp. There seems to always be discussions on how many RBs, WRs, and DBs are we going to roster. If we have one less RB we could keep an extra OL. If we have one less DB we might be able to keep an extra Edge. Etc. Guys like Sione might help a lot with roster flexibility.

1 minute ago, idoubtit said:

As I've thought about the pick I've thought about all the discussions we have as roster cuts are made at the end of training camp. There seems to always be discussions on how many RBs, WRs, and DBs are we going to roster. If we have one less RB we could keep an extra OL. If we have one less DB we might be able to keep an extra Edge. Etc. Guys like Sione might help a lot with roster flexibility.

I see that reasoning but from everything he and the Lions have said, they expect him to be a RB and special teams player.  If he doesn't practice with the SDB's, he won't be a good S.  If he doesn't practice with the RB's, he won't develop as a RB.  If they have him in both spots they will take away development from the other.  Its the same reason players in baseball dont play both ways other than Ohtani.  It takes a lot of time and preparation to play your one position, to do 2 is exhausting.  I think it would make more sense to use him as a S and if needed playing RB is easier but to try and be cohesive with the whole defense as a S without full time practice there, I wouldn't trust him.