Final Mock Offseason of 2017

WindyCity

20 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Worst case scenario is he costs you a player that can actually play. 

Forget the money, I don't want to lose talented/upside players because of 5 million that is sunk anyway.

Windy,  I like your thoughts and research, but sometimes I worry that your need for vengeance will consume you. If we pummeled Fox do death with punted footballs, broke every (other) bone in Kevin Whites body and assassinated Ryan Pace with free (KGB)Agents would you be happy?

1 minute ago, RunningVaccs said:

Windy,  I like your thoughts and research, but sometimes I worry that your need for vengeance will consume you. If we pummeled Fox do death with punted footballs, broke every (other) bone in Kevin Whites body and assassinated Ryan Pace with free (KGB)Agents would you be happy?

No.

Kevin White sucks and he can't stay healthy. Keeping him simply for financial reasons is a mistake. If he can make the team, okay, but we shouldn't cut someone who can play to accommodate a bust.

Admit it and move on.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

No.

Kevin White sucks and he can't stay healthy. Keeping him simply for financial reasons is a mistake. If he can make the team, okay, but we shouldn't cut someone who can play to accommodate a bust.

Admit it and move on.

You’re assuming that the 6th or 7th WR in camp for us is a guy who can actually play, and I think that’s highly questionable. We don’t know if White sucks or not - he hasn’t played enough for that. If he shows the ability but only stays healthy for a month or so he’s still got more value to us next year than a random #6/7 WR especially because the financial part is fixed. If he shows the broken bone stuff has been a fluke and actually stays healthy next year then we will probably have a player with at least some value, and if not then that #6/7 WR level talent will still be lingering around either in FA or on someone’s PS after White goes to IR. 

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re assuming that the 6th or 7th WR in camp for us is a guy who can actually play, and I think that’s highly questionable. We don’t know if White sucks or not - he hasn’t played enough for that. If he shows the ability but only stays healthy for a month or so he’s still got more value to us next year than a random #6/7 WR especially because the financial part is fixed. If he shows the broken bone stuff has been a fluke and actually stays healthy next year then we will probably have a player with at least some value, and if not then that #6/7 WR level talent will still be lingering around either in FA or on someone’s PS after White goes to IR. 

I am assuming that Kevin White cannot beat out a 5th WR option or that he cannot stay healthy.

All we have to base that he CAN beat that player out is his draft position, which is 3 trips to IR ago.

I am also assuming that the Bears WR position will not be a talentless waste land that it is now. In a more competitive group the 5th WR could be someone good. The Rams 5th WR just made the Pro Bowl as a returner and has a package on offense.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am assuming that Kevin White cannot beat out a 5th WR option or that he cannot stay healthy.

All we have to base that he CAN beat that player out is his draft position, which is 3 trips to IR ago.

I am also assuming that the Bears WR position will not be a talentless waste land that it is now. In a more competitive group the 5th WR could be someone good. The Rams 5th WR just made the Pro Bowl as a returner and has a package on offense.

Kevin White is already on the books for $5.27M next year. Even at the league minimum, any other player in that role instead of White makes for a $6M total investment in a #5 WR. Is there a team in the league that would pay $6M to a late round or UDFA nobody in that role over $5.27M to a former top 10 pick whose only issue has been health if there’s even a glimmer of hope that the latter can stay healthy going forward? I don’t think so, and those are the only two hands available to us. 

35 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Kevin White is already on the books for $5.27M next year. Even at the league minimum, any other player in that role instead of White makes for a $6M total investment in a #5 WR. Is there a team in the league that would pay $6M to a late round or UDFA nobody in that role over $5.27M to a former top 10 pick whose only issue has been health if there’s even a glimmer of hope that the latter can stay healthy going forward? I don’t think so, and those are the only two hands available to us. 

You see a glimmer of hope?

Fool me one-shame on you

Fool me twice-shame on my

Fool me three times-what the hell am I still getting fooled for

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Pace sunk 18 million for 4 crappy games out of Glennon. Committing 6 million to get a 1 million dollar WR who has about a 90 percent better chance than White does to at least be a special teams contributor is a bargain.

And White's 5 million is a sunk cost and should not enter the decision unless the one million the new WR costs us caps us out from signing a serious FA, but seriously, one million is not going to make the difference between signing a solid starter and a scrub.

White is Pace's albatross. The sooner he goes the better. Even if by some miracle the albatross stays healthy and then plays like a legit number 1 or 2 WR he'll only stay healthy a few weeks past signing his new contract and that 5 million we were on the hook for a worthless WR will become 30 million for a WR we got one good year out of. That's what albatross' do. " You still don't get it, do you? He'll get hurt! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him!"

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

Pace sunk 18 million for 4 crappy games out of Glennon. Committing 6 million to get a 1 million dollar WR who has about a 90 percent better chance than White does to at least be a special teams contributor is a bargain.

And White's 5 million is a sunk cost and should not enter the decision unless the one million the new WR costs us caps us out from signing a serious FA, but seriously, one million is not going to make the difference between signing a solid starter and a scrub.

White is Pace's albatross. The sooner he goes the better. Even if by some miracle the albatross stays healthy and then plays like a legit number 1 or 2 WR he'll only stay healthy a few weeks past signing his new contract and that 5 million we were on the hook for a worthless WR will become 30 million for a WR we got one good year out of. That's what albatross' do. " You still don't get it, do you? He'll get hurt! That's what he does! That's ALL he does! You can't stop him!"

I’m not trying to advocate for White. I’m just saying the GM may see more promise in the guy he’s already drafted and already committed to paying than some street FA level special team hopeful. I’m not saying that’s the right way to look at it either - just that I think it’s how he will look at it. Personally I hope I’m wrong and he cuts bait, but even if he doesn’t I understand the decision even if I’d have made a different one. 

This is a pretty good display of how open White was week one, and ostensibly how Mike Glennon sucking pretty much got him hurt and ended his season. I'm glad it wasn't another leg injury, honestly. I just hope he continues to work on his speed, quickness, and really focuses on how to run NFL routes.

http://www.bearsfansonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11700&p=179367&hilit=segway#p179367

On 12/21/2017 at 9:47 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I’m not trying to advocate for White. I’m just saying the GM may see more promise in the guy he’s already drafted and already committed to paying than some street FA level special team hopeful. I’m not saying that’s the right way to look at it either - just that I think it’s how he will look at it. Personally I hope I’m wrong and he cuts bait, but even if he doesn’t I understand the decision even if I’d have made a different one. 

No problemo AZ. I'm mostly given up on the analytical part of this season and I've shifted into Arnold movie quotes.

Swap out "He'll get hurt" with "He'll find her" and you'll get my point.

Archived