Should we call it Specialized Teams in 2024?

It's been predicted that, by the trade deadline, half of the NFL’s head coaches will decide that the best way to handle the reconfigured kickoff formation will be to kick the ball out of the end zone and allow the next drive to start at the 30.

Speaking to reporters on Monday, Patriots coach Jerod Mayo said that starting at the 30 could be the right move:

“I don’t think anyone actually knows how this thing is going to play out. The rules are still kind of fluid even as of today. We watch it as a full staff, just because it’s one of those plays where, we talk about collaboration all the time, we’re trying to get opinions of the offensive coaches, the defensive coaches, and special teams coaches. And also, you know, just calling around the league to see how they think about it. But once again, I don’t think anyone really knows how it’s going to play out. It might just be beneficial to take the ball at the 30. I don’t know.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jeyod-mayo-best-move-for-kickoff-might-be-to-concede-the-30

The Commanders aren’t the only team with interest in UFL kicker Jake Bates. Three other teams have requested to host Bates, with the Packers, Lions and Ravens wanting on his itinerary, Aaron Wilson of KPRC reports.

The Packers drafted Anders Carlson in the sixth round of the 2023 draft, but after he missed five extra points and six field goals, the team seems to be considering its options. Greg Joseph and Jack Podlesny also are on the roster currently.

Michael Badgley, who remains on the Lions’ roster, kicked in four regular-season games and all three postseason games for the team last season. James Turner also is on the Lions’ roster.

The Ravens have the NFL’s best kicker in Justin Tucker, and their interest in Bates begs the question about whether some teams will consider carrying two kickers for the new kickoff return rules.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/packers-lions-ravens-also-have-requested-a-visit-with-ufl-kicker-jake-bates

The Vikings ended the Wednesday session with having sixth-round pick Will Reichard and free agent addition John Parker Romo kick an extra point and several field goals. Each made their kicks, although Reichard had a beneficial double-doink bounce on a 45-yarder. He followed with clean kicks from 48 and 58 with punter Ryan Wright holding.

https://www.vikings.com/news/youth-movement-offseason-2024-ota-practice

Posted (edited)

Seth Vernon originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons in May of 2022 and appeared in one preseason game with the team before being released. He began his collegiate career at Santa Rosa Junior College, averaging 42.4 yards per punt as a freshman and 38.7 yards per punt as a sophomore. He also hauled in 26 receptions and six touchdowns in two seasons at wide receiver for the Bear Cubs. Vernon played his final three collegiate seasons at Portland State where he averaged 44.9 yards per punt as a senior in 2021 and 43.2 yards per punt in 2019, ranking 12th in the nation.

vikings.com

dude is big. 6'5 and 230#.

Vernon-088.jpg

and by the way... the team name for Portland State is... the Vikings.

@scar988 - remember anything about this guy? who is your punter that he beat out last year?

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

WE OFFICIALLY HAVE PUNTER DRAMA!!!!

only to those who see it as such. we have lots of position battles going on this summer, we do every year. it's just football.

take your Ritalin and chill.

• Like 1

UFL kicker Jake Bates won’t have to travel far for his next job. Bates, who spent the 2024 spring season with the Michigan Panthers, will sign next week with the Lions, per multiple reports.

During his time with the Panthers, Bates made three field goals of 60 yards or longer, including a 64-yarder.

For the year, he made only 17 of 22 field goals, an average success rate of 77.3 percent.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/jake-bates-will-sign-with-the-lions

On 6/14/2024 at 3:06 PM, vike daddy said:

Seth Vernon originally entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons in May of 2022 and appeared in one preseason game with the team before being released. He began his collegiate career at Santa Rosa Junior College, averaging 42.4 yards per punt as a freshman and 38.7 yards per punt as a sophomore. He also hauled in 26 receptions and six touchdowns in two seasons at wide receiver for the Bear Cubs. Vernon played his final three collegiate seasons at Portland State where he averaged 44.9 yards per punt as a senior in 2021 and 43.2 yards per punt in 2019, ranking 12th in the nation.

vikings.com

dude is big. 6'5 and 230#.

Vernon-088.jpg

and by the way... the team name for Portland State is... the Vikings.

@scar988 - remember anything about this guy? who is your punter that he beat out last year?

He competed with Bradley Pinion in training camp and lost. But Pinion has been an All-Pro.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

That's a noticeable difference. I'm ready though for the greatest preseason position battle of all time between Wright and Vernon!

It's hard to say how much of that difference is Wright and how much of the difference is the coverage team. His hangtime was only 0.04 less but returns averaged an extra 1.5 yards. That more than makes up the difference in his net yards per punt. Was he outkicking the coverage team?  Maybe.  The increase in touchbacks is noticeable.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

The NFL has changed its kickoff rules, and 49ers receiver Deebo Samuel wants a chance to partake.

Samuel: “I wouldn’t mind doing it from the get-go. I’m a team-first player, so if Kyle was like, ‘Hey, man, we don’t want you to do it full-time. We just use you whenever we really need it,’ I’m fine with that. But if you want to use me full-time, I’m all for that as well.”

“Looking at it, it’s kind of weird, but I feel like, on the side that we on, for us, the returning team, I feel like we have a real big advantage of you make one guy miss. I mean, it’s just you and a kicker, and nine times out of 10, the kicker’s not making tackles. So I’m pretty sure people will try to turn skill guys into kickers at some point if it continue to go this way, just so they have a last-line-of-defense tackler.”

Samuel has returned only nine kickoffs in his career, averaging 25.9 yards per return, but he expects big things this season if given the chance.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/deebo-samuel-wants-an-opportunity-to-return-kicks

The Vikings entered training camp with competitions at kicker between sixth-round pick Will Reichard and offseason addition John Parker Romo and at punter between returnee Ryan Wright and addition Seth Vernon.

Minnesota included a field goal kicking period to end Saturday's practice.

Reichard went first with Wright serving as the holder. He was good on all five kicks he attempted, aiming true from the 33-yard distance of an extra point before also splitting the uprights from 40, 43, 45 and 48 yards.

Romo went 3-for-4 on his kicks with Vernon holding, making one from the extra point distance, from 40 and from 48. He missed wide left from 43.

vikings.com

• Like 1

The NFL’s new kickoff rule is still a work in progress, and Packers special teams coordinator Rich Bisaccia thinks the league might not be done tinkering with the rule. Although the rule has been adopted for the 2024 season and isn’t going away, Bisaccia believes the league may tweak certain aspects of it after seeing it in the preseason.

Bisaccia:  “We feel like there’s going to be amendments to the rules according to what happens in the game. Especially as we go through the first three preseason games, I think there will be some sort of maybe amendments to some of the rules. Fortunately we’re going to practice against two teams. We’ve been encouraged to practice this against each other, have conversations about it and talk about sending the practice film into the league so they can see what it looks like from a practice setting as well.”

“We’ll see what happens when we play those other teams and what they do. I think this new kickoff thing is going to be fun and confusing and different and a lot of questions are going to arise. We’ll see what happens.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/rich-bisaccia-expects-nfl-to-make-amendments-to-the-kickoff-rule-in-the-preseason