Minicamp | OTAs (5.20-5.31)

The Vikings' rookie minicamp will take place at TCO Performance Center from May 10th to 12th, the NFL announced on Wednesday. It'll be the first time that J.J. McCarthy, Dallas Turner, and the rest of Minnesota's rookies take the field for an NFL practice.

The Vikings' offseason program is already underway. Following rookie minicamp, there will be OTAs on May 20-21, May 23, May 28-29, May 31, and June 10-13. Mandatory minicamp is set for June 4-6.

vikings.com

what are you hoping to see?

WR3 and CB depth battles, what the churning looks like at final cuts.

Also excited to see how much of an impact our UDFAs can make - would be pretty cool if they find another gem this year.

• Like 2

O'Connell: "There's a reason why I have pretty strong feelings about not doing team drills full-speed at rookie minicamp. In many ways, it's to protect the guys from themselves, you know? We had kind of a golden rule of staying off the ground today, and I think we're pretty darn close to a perfect day from that standpoint. So now I'm gonna tell them tomorrow maybe we weren't practicing hard enough."

"Like I said, I'm just having a blast out here with these guys. And coaching is really fun when you're watching tape and you're in the meeting room, but there's nothing that compares to being out on the grass with the guys."

Turner: "You ever see a little kid in public and the mom has a backpack 'leash' on them? The kid wants to go out there run, play and do all this stuff, and the mom's like, 'Nope, come back over here.' It's like that. They're easing us into it, but once everyone gets here, we're going to be rocking."

https://www.vikings.com/news/rookie-minicamp-2024-kevin-connell-jj-mccarthy-dallas-turner?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0olRL-lhQnKdZCvkqA0xVIAQ2FSizxdNLyfJla5czDgnjWCkWbZiVYg94_aem_AQn4PSU6IJgrMFRBH6FVLpDyZdYheNcYi6d3rzj9xST-6BL354cye2ZVnvluQxMEBiKUm6OXnbQ8KlamZwfjY64i

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert reported on Friday, May 10, that McCarthy and the defensive unit he faced made a bet involving accuracy, pass-game success and extra exercise.

“As it turns out, McCarthy had jumped right into a friendly competition with the defensive players he faced on the first day of the Vikings’ rookie minicamp,” Seifert wrote. “The stakes were simple: During a 16-play drill, only three (or fewer) of McCarthy’s passes could hit the ground. If that happened, the defensive players would run. If four or more hit the ground, he would have to run.”

McCarthy delivered the results of the contest himself.

“If you guys saw,” McCarthy told reporters, “I was out there running.”

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/jj-mccarthy-bet-defense-sam-darnold/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2cYCxcUmoLZDVle_sNc2gbyDTYLSRIhjCXSQu8ZyyRsg2nh-sOogTtbUc_aem_AW6ydkUX9IX9pH3nfEXOtCCrjiXpYD_u_nYwcTnjAc1p9o6JXUDKN1fTgvZg1smBj957pPcMATSDfev6VQp-aqCa

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

ESPN’s Kevin Seifert reported on Friday, May 10, that McCarthy and the defensive unit he faced made a bet involving accuracy, pass-game success and extra exercise.

“As it turns out, McCarthy had jumped right into a friendly competition with the defensive players he faced on the first day of the Vikings’ rookie minicamp,” Seifert wrote. “The stakes were simple: During a 16-play drill, only three (or fewer) of McCarthy’s passes could hit the ground. If that happened, the defensive players would run. If four or more hit the ground, he would have to run.”

McCarthy delivered the results of the contest himself.

“If you guys saw,” McCarthy told reporters, “I was out there running.”

https://heavy.com/sports/nfl/minnesota-vikings/jj-mccarthy-bet-defense-sam-darnold/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2cYCxcUmoLZDVle_sNc2gbyDTYLSRIhjCXSQu8ZyyRsg2nh-sOogTtbUc_aem_AW6ydkUX9IX9pH3nfEXOtCCrjiXpYD_u_nYwcTnjAc1p9o6JXUDKN1fTgvZg1smBj957pPcMATSDfev6VQp-aqCa

So much for McCarthy being a winner.

• Like 1

McCarthy jawed with undrafted linebacker KJ Cloyd, a Miami product, before the drill. Cloyd picked off McCarthy a few moments later and pointed his finger at the former Wolverine as he  returned it for a touchdown.  

McCarthy: "I've got to stop talking smack because it always turns out that they win in the end. The splits were a little messed up. I obviously take full responsibility for the outcome of the play. Just reading it outside in, I felt like I could fit it in there and force it, but they're a lot faster and a lot longer at this level. It's great to learn now, before the vets get here. Hopefully, I won't be in that situation any time soon."

https://247sports.com/college/michigan/article/jj-mccarthy-loses-bet-with-vikings-defense-on-first-day-of-practice-ive-got-to-stop-talking-smack-231691713/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR2WGDr2z9BrP2DDd94HWvdu72lKMO-S-SYUvYW53M2dPI9PkVQSdO2Rpuk_aem_AYJJoXpBqqsAnK0bItIAtX6FdaiVP9ZGEjoUt5UPDqv1Ls8rsubMpiRNmyVquv4umg2Vp7KK7-flIc88xbyyYNkP

• Like 1

• VikeManDan changed the title to Minicamp | OTAs (5.20-5.31)
5 hours ago, vike daddy said:

McCarthy jawed with undrafted linebacker KJ Cloyd, a Miami product, before the drill. Cloyd picked off McCarthy a few moments later and pointed his finger at the former Wolverine as he  returned it for a touchdown.  

McCarthy: "I've got to stop talking smack because it always turns out that they win in the end."

Good self awareness. You can be confident without talking smack.