The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024

#16 -CB Mike Sainristil

11923496.jpg

Nick Saban said he was the best football player in this draft class. I'm not sure about that but he does look promising. Slot CB has been a huge issue for this team for over a decade. We've thrown FA signings and late round picks at the position but never a high draft selection until now. A former WR, Sainristil is known for making big plays on the ball on the defensive side now (6 INTs last year). He isn't just a finesse cover guy though, PFF had him rated as a top 10 CB in run defense in the nation and he's a two time defensive captain for a team that just won the national title based on defense. That's a pretty impressive resume for a 2nd round CB. 

Last year Washington's CB defensive snap counts looked like this: St Juste (91.17%), K Fuller (87.49%), E Forbes (41.30%), Q Martin (31.28%), D Johnson (17.82%), C Holmes (2.83%). If he stays healthy I would estimate he sees the field on like 50% of defensive snaps this year. If he impresses maybe he pushes for more than that or even gets some snaps outside in the case of roster injuries. 

• Like 1

#15 DE Clelin Ferrell

USATSI_22079310.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

We signed a lot of free agents this offseason and Ferrell didn't get a lot of attention compared to some of the others. That is a bit surprising considering he just started 17 games for a team that went to the Super Bowl and he fits a huge need on the roster (also Peters is very familiar with him and decided to bring him over). I think he will start over Dante Fowler who followed Quinn from Dallas, but Fowler didn't start for Dallas either. He was overdrafted by the Raiders but he does have former first round pedigree and still has a chance to improve as a player as he's only 27 years old. He's also from Richmond VA which is kind of cool. 

He has never been a guy who racks up sacks, his 3.5 sacks last year was pretty much on par for his career. But he started coming on last year before getting injured and was showing real flashes of living up to his potential. If he can stay healthy this year, I think he could put together a solid season with around 5-6 sacks while setting the edge and playing good run defense. That would be great production from a guy making $3.75 mil this year. 

• Like 1

#14 - CB Michael Davis 

usa_today_19727306.0.jpg

We have so many new players that I had to project a lot on these rankings because we don't exactly know who will be starting or getting certain snap counts. I'm taking a big swing with this one. I think Michael Davis is going to start for us, and possibly be our #1 CB this year. Dan Quinn's system prefers tall, strong press man CBs that can disrupt at the line of scrimmage then knock down passes with their length on the boundaries of the field. Michael Davis is 6'2" and runs a 4.37 in the 40. He has looked great at times for the Chargers, and at other times he has struggled mightily. My belief is that is because he's been playing in a 4 Quarters Zone system for the Chargers while his strengths are in press man coverage. I think the front office knows this about him which is why he is here. Think about how bad William Jackson looked for us when we forced him to play zone. I think Michael Davis and St Juste will be our 2 starting boundary CBs, with Sainristil in the slot. Unfortunately, I think Forbes will struggle in the new scheme as he was a primarily zone CB in college and is more of a finesse cover CB than press man. Because of this I think Forbes will be stuck on the bench this year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

#14 - CB Michael Davis 

usa_today_19727306.0.jpg

We have so many new players that I had to project a lot on these rankings because we don't exactly know who will be starting or getting certain snap counts. I'm taking a big swing with this one. I think Michael Davis is going to start for us, and possibly be our #1 CB this year. Dan Quinn's system prefers tall, strong press man CBs that can disrupt at the line of scrimmage then knock down passes with their length on the boundaries of the field. Michael Davis is 6'2" and runs a 4.37 in the 40. He has looked great at times for the Chargers, and at other times he has struggled mightily. My belief is that is because he's been playing in a 4 Quarters Zone system for the Chargers while his strengths are in press man coverage. I think the front office knows this about him which is why he is here. Think about how bad William Jackson looked for us when we forced him to play zone. I think Michael Davis and St Juste will be our 2 starting boundary CBs, with Sainristil in the slot. Unfortunately, I think Forbes will struggle in the new scheme as he was a primarily zone CB in college and is more of a finesse cover CB than press man. Because of this I think Forbes will be stuck on the bench this year. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nex8dwpldruubiu44p

As far as boundary corners go, he is easily our best, I just don't think he is the "most talented" CB we have. Being that he is only two spots ahead of who I believe is our most talented CB, I can't really complain. I retract my earlier statement. 

Spoiler

But so help me if another CB is on this list. Haha.

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952nex8dwpldruubiu44p

As far as boundary corners go, he is easily our best, I just don't think he is the "most talented" CB we have. Being that he is only two spots ahead of who I believe is our most talented CB, I can't really complain. I retract my earlier statement. 

Hide contents

But so help me if another CB is on this list. Haha.

I mean I'm projecting him as our #1 CB this year. There isn't going to be any more CBs on the list. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slappy Mc said:

I just don't think he is the "most talented" CB we have

Again this is a projection for the 2024 season only. Hard to project a rookie will outplay him but its possible. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Again this is a projection for the 2024 season only. Hard to project a rookie will outplay him but its possible. 

I apologize. I didn't know it was who was going to have the best projected season ranking. I thought you were ranking them by talent. That is my mistake. I absolutely could see Davis being our most productive CB. 

• MKnight82 changed the title to The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024
50 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I apologize. I didn't know it was who was going to have the best projected season ranking. I thought you were ranking them by talent. That is my mistake. I absolutely could see Davis being our most productive CB. 

I changed the thread title since several people seem to be getting confused by it

• Like 2

#13 - WR Jahan Dotson

Jahan-Dotson-Fantasy-Projections-Should-

Jahan Dotson got crushed more than anyone by moron OC last year. His yards per game was down to 30.5 from 43.6 as a rookie. His TDs were down from 7 to 4. The only thing up were his targets and receptions, but the routes he was running were so much shorter than the year before he wasn't getting as much production out of them. He also seemed to have a lot of key drops that killed some drives. Terry McLaurin was highly critical of how the offense was utilizing the WRs so I don't put a lot of blame on Dotson. When you're pulling all the WRs back for short routes that brings the whole defense up and crunches the space, leaving little room for passing lanes and letting WRs get nailed by the defense.

His rookie year he had some insane TD grabs and most people were projecting him to have a breakout year. I think a rebound season could be on the way. He's still a very talented player and we saw flashes as a rookie. I think a season with around 750-800 yards with 6-8 Tds is on the way. 

• Like 1