The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Everyone sucked last year. Hard to make any judgement on last year. 

I feel like it could be a little different for a punter. Like I said I hope he bounces back with the changes and it shows it was personnel and not him 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I feel like it could be a little different for a punter. Like I said I hope he bounces back with the changes and it shows it was personnel and not him 

I agree. Everyone sucked was based on who they drafted, how they coached and the schemes they used. To me a punter at his age and experience it’s  all performance. 

33 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Don’t blaspheme the punt god 

Posted (edited)

#7 - OC Tyler Biadasz

r1112197_1296x864_3-2.jpg

By all accounts Biadasz is a solid if not unspectacular starting Center. He made a single Pro Bowl in 2022 and is generally known as being a better run blocker than pass protector. But the biggest boost he gives us is stability at the position as we've had a revolving door in the middle for several years, ever since Chase Roullier's body gave out on him. This is critical as he will call the protections at the line and provide steady snaps for a Rookie QB. Hopefully his steady presence can stabilize an Oline that was a complete disaster last year. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 4

#6 - DT Jonathan Allen

6L4JPXRCDJAHBOFQ36B3S5N7YI.jpg?auth=cd72

Allen's play declined last season (along with the entire roster). He didn't seem to cause nearly as much disruption as we are used to seeing from him and he finished the season with 5.5 sacks and 10 TFL. Beyond the numbers he just didn't see to stand out as much on the field as year's prior. Now like I've said in many of these other write-ups its hard to judge him based on last year's performance because the team just collapsed and everyone was out of sorts. But with him about to enter his 8th NFL season and having the 3rd highest cap hit on the team I have my concerns (btw, unrelated but Andrew Wylie has the 4th highest cap on the team this season which is just insane). On top of that, we just spent a high 2nd round pick on his position in this draft, which has me thinking the FO may be targeting him as a potential trade candidate either this season or next. All of those doubts have me placing him just outside of the top 5. But, I expect him to be a continued leader in the locker room and be one of the most impactful players we have on defense this season. 

• Like 2

#5 - LB Frankie Luvu 

USATSI_16613869-e1630269607345.jpg?w=100

Luvu is the massive upgrade at linebacker we've needed for several seasons. Last season he played 56% of snaps inside, 23% outside, and 21% of snaps blitzing off the edge so he can do a little of everything. He's surprisingly versatile for a guy who's only 6'3" 236 lbs. Last year in Carolina, Shaq Thompson's injury made Luvu have to take over as Captain of the defense, and he wore the green dot on the field communicating the playcall to his teammates. He finished the year with 125 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Even though he only has 1 career interception he is generally known to not be a liability in coverage either. I think he's going to be a do it all swiss army knife for the defensive staff and I look forward to seeing him in a Washington uniform this year. 

• Like 2

#4 - DT Daron Payne

Daron-Payne-1040x572.jpg.

Everything I said about Jonathan Allen having a disappointing season in 2023 you can repeat here for Payne. After a career year (in a contract year) in 2022 where he broke out with 11.5 sacks he crashed back to earth last year with 4.0 sacks. That is even worse sack wise than Allen last year, but imo watching the games he seemed to be more disruptive than his teammate. He's also significantly younger and just entering Year 1 of his 4 year mega extension, so he isn't going anywhere any time soon. That's a good thing because he's a really good player for us. I don't have the same concerns with Payne's body aging and breaking down that I do with Allen, but Allen is more of a leader and Payne has always had a slight cloud of knuckleheadedness hanging around him. I think he will be the best defensive lineman we have on the field this year and hope he's the wrecking ball we know he can be in the new scheme. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2024 at 12:43 PM, MKnight82 said:

#5 - LB Frankie Luvu 

USATSI_16613869-e1630269607345.jpg?w=100

Luvu is the massive upgrade at linebacker we've needed for several seasons. Last season he played 56% of snaps inside, 23% outside, and 21% of snaps blitzing off the edge so he can do a little of everything. He's surprisingly versatile for a guy who's only 6'3" 236 lbs. Last year in Carolina, Shaq Thompson's injury made Luvu have to take over as Captain of the defense, and he wore the green dot on the field communicating the playcall to his teammates. He finished the year with 125 tackles and 5.5 sacks. Even though he only has 1 career interception he is generally known to not be a liability in coverage either. I think he's going to be a do it all swiss army knife for the defensive staff and I look forward to seeing him in a Washington uniform this year. 

This might be a really fun addition for us. I love it

• Like 2

On 5/26/2024 at 10:45 AM, taylor made said:

I think we need to pump the breaks on Luvu a little here. He's never played at a pro bowl level and maybe he can make that leap here. But even if he plays average, that's still an upgrade at LB. 

You know how we have good players that sign elsewhere and then they ball out? Atleast generally under the Snyder era. Well I think the Panthers are now that team and Luvu can be a heck of a player. Not just because he’s talented but because he fits the mold of this staff. I don’t think I’ve seen anything crazy expectation wise here yet. But I do believe he’s much better here then hes been much less I think we’re going to get his best years in a system perfect for him

• Like 1

On 5/26/2024 at 10:45 AM, taylor made said:

I think we need to pump the breaks on Luvu a little here. He's never played at a pro bowl level and maybe he can make that leap here. But even if he plays average, that's still an upgrade at LB. 

Mixed messaging here. Even if he's not a Pro Bowler, he has a chance to be the best linebacker we've had in a while. It's a low bar, but one he could potentially hit. 

• Like 1

#3 - LB Bobby Wagner

1362472987.0.jpg

We made a lot of free agent signings this offseason and I think Wagner will have the biggest impact this upcoming season. Despite being 33 years old, he led the NFL in tackles last year and made yet another Pro Bowl. The future HOFer had 183 tackles, 3.5 sacks and 3 pass defenses last season. So why was he available in free agency? Apparently the Seahawks new HC likes linebackers who can cover well and at Wagner's age that isn't he strength anymore. He's definitely going to be more of a downhill thumper who struggles in coverage at times. But paired with Luvu and Jeremy Chinn I think we will be OK there. I expect Luvu and Wagner will stay on the field at all times, with Jamin Davis either subbing out or moving to edge rusher at times. 

Wagner will also be our new QB of the defense, and wear the green dot on Sundays call the plays and helping players be in the right position before the snap. We have lacked a competent player to do that for years and his impact there will be immense. His experience and leadership will also be invaluable in the locker room. Overall this is my favorite free agent addition we made. 

• Like 4

#2 - QB Jayden Daniels 

2152377290.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

We will go however far Jayden Daniels takes us this year. No player impacts the game as much as the starting QB, and as a #2 overall pick (and glances at our depth chart) Daniels will likely start immediately. Daniels has the athleticism, arm strength and accuracy to make a big impact on the field right away. I'm projecting him to have a really good rookie season and be in the running for OROY. We have pretty decent weapons for a rookie QB get the ball to and I think our staff will tailor the offense to fit his skillset. Obviously LT is still the big concern on offense but his speed and some scheme design I think will be able to mitigate that.