The Top 20 Washington Players Who Will Have the Biggest Impact in 2024

#1 - WR Terry McLaurin

usa_today_13405233.jpg

Terry McLaurin will be the best player on our roster for the 2024 season. Do I need to say much more than that? He has had 4 consecutive 1,000 yard receiving seasons with some pretty abysmal QB play along the way (and a complete moron at OC last year). For reference, here's a list of QBs that McLaurin has caught passes from in the NFL: Case Keenum, Dwayne Haskins, Colt McCoy, Alex Smith on 1 leg, Kyle Allen, Taylor Heinicke, Garrett Gilbert, Carson Wentz and Sam Howell. Even with a rookie QB running the offense, Jayden Daniels should be a significant upgrade over that group (I'm a Howell supporter but him paired with moron OC really hurt the WR core last year). I'm projecting a career year for Mr. McLaurin, 1,200+ yards and 8 TDs. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Final Thoughts

- IMO we have a lot of solid depth players but not enough stars on the roster. That makes the top 20 feel pretty weak. 

- 11 of my top 20 weren't on the roster last year. 

- Only 8 of the 20 were on offense, which is kind of surprising because the defense was so bad last year. Some of that is new blood but I also think our coaching last year was so bad it hurt the talent that was on the roster already. 

- Linebacker was a real issue for us last year, and I now have 3 linebackers in the top 12 spots on our roster. That is a huge turnaround. 

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 3

On 5/28/2024 at 11:09 AM, MKnight82 said:

Final Thoughts

- IMO we have a lot of solid depth players but not enough stars on the roster. That makes the top 20 feel pretty weak. 

- 11 of my top 20 weren't on the roster last year. 

- Only 8 of the 20 were on offense, which is kind of surprising because the defense was so bad last year. Some of that is new blood but I also think our coaching last year was so bad it hurt the talent that was on the roster already. 

- Linebacker was a real issue for us last year, and I now have 3 linebackers in the top 12 spots on our roster. That is a huge turnaround. 

Great job as usual MKnight. I agree with this summary of our roster.

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2024 at 3:53 PM, MKnight82 said:

#6 - DT Jonathan Allen

6L4JPXRCDJAHBOFQ36B3S5N7YI.jpg?auth=cd72

Allen's play declined last season (along with the entire roster). He didn't seem to cause nearly as much disruption as we are used to seeing from him and he finished the season with 5.5 sacks and 10 TFL. Beyond the numbers he just didn't see to stand out as much on the field as year's prior. Now like I've said in many of these other write-ups its hard to judge him based on last year's performance because the team just collapsed and everyone was out of sorts. But with him about to enter his 8th NFL season and having the 3rd highest cap hit on the team I have my concerns (btw, unrelated but Andrew Wylie has the 4th highest cap on the team this season which is just insane). On top of that, we just spent a high 2nd round pick on his position in this draft, which has me thinking the FO may be targeting him as a potential trade candidate either this season or next. All of those doubts have me placing him just outside of the top 5. But, I expect him to be a continued leader in the locker room and be one of the most impactful players we have on defense this season. 

Don't forget Jon Allen played every game last year with plantar fasciitis and if anyone doesn't think that affects a person's feet/get off/mobility and ability to push a 310-330 opponent around they never had plantar fasciitis. He and Payne also have played too many snaps the last few years since we cut Ioannisis. I I hope that changes this year with Newton and/or Mathis living up to their draft status & giving us a better rotation.

Edited by turtle28

Before Jayden plays a down, it's hard for me to put him in the top 5 of our roster. I get we hope he plays like a top 5 player on our roster, but at this point I’d put Jayden at #8 on our roster & move each of those vets behind him up a spot.

I do think Jayden will have a good to great rookie year but, I don't think that will put him at #2 on our roster even.

I think at the end of this season. We’ll consider Jayden around the 8th best player on our roster. I'd love to be wrong, but that's what I think will happen.