Official 2025 QB Thread

goldfishwars

On 6/10/2024 at 1:33 PM, RaidersForever said:

I feel like Riley Leonard will take a big step forward this season (assuming he's able to get on the field, initial reports out of ND aren't encouraging). Nothing to base that on, just a gut feeling.

Just hope that injury isn't too bad 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess what the final 2025 QB rankings will be, just for fun, since there ain't **** happening now:

1. Sheduer Sanders, Colorado: Bit of a circus up there, but he's got talent.  Dynamic mover in the pocket, excellent vision when running.  Arm strength just sufficient, and inconsistent touch and accuracy, with some mechanical issues to clean up.  But I don't think his problems are severe.  Had some good tape at the end of the season despite the team's collapse.

2. Carson Beck, Georgia: He's a lock to go high, but I don't know if the weapons he has this year at Georgia aren't a bit of a step down from 23.  I have a feeling some cracks will show in his game now.  Still, he's got the size, accuracy, and arm strength you want to see, and he's a QB on a top tier team, so I'd be surprised if he's not one of the top two or three in the end.

3. Cade Klubnik, Clemson: A QB who has gotten noticeably better every time I've watched him.  A little small, but not so much to be a big problem.  Stands in the pocket, not afraid to get hit, has the arm.  If he can play consistently like he does when he's on, he'll be a first rounder.  But he has these long stretches of play time where his ball placement is absolutely all over the place, and while there's less of that than in like the 22 bowl game, it needs to go away.

4. Jalen Milroe, Alabama: He's either going to be a high pick or he's staying another year.  Milroe started 23 as a liability to his team.  He finished the year as an OK QB.  He has elite physical ability as a runner, and was cool under pressure by season's end.  A new staff should see him make massive strides again, but he's got a very long way to go still.

5. Will Howard, Ohio St: The jump in surrounding case talent that Will Howard has going for him will give him a great season, and he's huge, so he offers a lot as a runner.  But he's been a four year starter IIRC, so I don't know how much there is to develop there.

6. Quinn Ewers, Texas: Texas is another stacked team, but I've never really seen it with Ewers, and he's been a starter for a while now at Texas, so I don't expect him to suddenly make a huge jump.  He lost a lot of weapons, and he'll be playing a tougher schedule now in the SEC, so I'm very bearish on him as a first rounder.

7. Grayson McCall, NC State: I've had a roller coaster of a time with Grayson McCall.  Loved him in 22, didn't like him in 23, now he's going to a team with an amazing receiver in Concepcion, and a good OL.  I'm still not sold on his arm strength, but I'm hoping to be back on the McCall hype train soon.

8. Brady Cook, Missouri: Why not?  Cook was a surprise last year, and Missori is still looking like the big dog that isn't Georgia in the SEC East with lots of returning talent.  I expect him to have a career season and be a contender for a high selection.

9. Cam Ward, Miami: I don't know how much better Ward is going to look at Miami, because it's one of the teams I'm least familiar with.  Ward has been one of those guys I watched and thought is a great college QB, but as an older prospect who's been starting for a long time, and largely in a pass friendly offensive scheme, I don't think there's a ton of room for growth.

10. Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss: Gimmicky offense, but a good team, so he won't plummet, and he has outstanding accuracy as a thrower in a high volume, so he could make it in the NFL as a dink and dunker.  Can run well too.  A little older, and probably not as big as you want.  Wanted to put Riley Leonard, but it seems like his injury might be still a thing, so he doesn't make the list.

• Like 2

I feel like the guy who can climb to the top is Quinn Ewers if he puts it together week in week out. His talent and accuracy are ridiculous but his footwork can be sloppy. 

I don't think Sanders becomes the top guy next year. I honestly didn't see what others have or currently do as a top 3 pick or even first rounder. Running a gimmicky offense that quite frankly didn't perform against the better teams  - are we just seeing a great athlete at QB who isn't a pro QB prospect? 

Will Howard could be that super senior QB prospect that does quite well too and has a jump to 1st/2nd round grade. 

The one who's quite talented that if he puts it together this year - Drew Allar, could fly up the draft radar. Although I think Penn State is a terrible environment for him if he wants to be considered a draftable QB (see Will Levis transformation from Penn State to Kentucky) 

• Like 1

All this talk of Shedeur Sanders being an elite athlete seems based off of his last name. He seemed slow to me. He has decent juice in the open field, but he just seems like an average QB athlete to me. I was more impressed with his field scanning, though that took a down turn against better competition.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HerbertGOAT said:

All this talk of Shedeur Sanders being an elite athlete seems based off of his last name. He seemed slow to me. He has decent juice in the open field, but he just seems like an average QB athlete to me. I was more impressed with his field scanning, though that took a down turn against better competition.

This is absolutely accurate. He's the same type of athlete as Bo Nix. Certainly not unathletic, but also certainly not the athlete you'd expect to spawn from Deion's nards.

53 minutes ago, Armbar said:

This is absolutely accurate. He's the same type of athlete as Bo Nix. Certainly not unathletic, but also certainly not the athlete you'd expect to spawn from Deion's nards.

Nix is probably faster in a straight line too.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2024 at 2:54 PM, HerbertGOAT said:

100%. I've never watched him play thinking he was anything special as an athlete. He honestly looks slow.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2024 at 9:09 AM, Daniel said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess what the final 2025 QB rankings will be, just for fun, since there ain't **** happening now:

1. Sheduer Sanders, Colorado: Bit of a circus up there, but he's got talent.  Dynamic mover in the pocket, excellent vision when running.  Arm strength just sufficient, and inconsistent touch and accuracy, with some mechanical issues to clean up.  But I don't think his problems are severe.  Had some good tape at the end of the season despite the team's collapse.

2. Carson Beck, Georgia: He's a lock to go high, but I don't know if the weapons he has this year at Georgia aren't a bit of a step down from 23.  I have a feeling some cracks will show in his game now.  Still, he's got the size, accuracy, and arm strength you want to see, and he's a QB on a top tier team, so I'd be surprised if he's not one of the top two or three in the end.

3. Cade Klubnik, Clemson: A QB who has gotten noticeably better every time I've watched him.  A little small, but not so much to be a big problem.  Stands in the pocket, not afraid to get hit, has the arm.  If he can play consistently like he does when he's on, he'll be a first rounder.  But he has these long stretches of play time where his ball placement is absolutely all over the place, and while there's less of that than in like the 22 bowl game, it needs to go away.

4. Jalen Milroe, Alabama: He's either going to be a high pick or he's staying another year.  Milroe started 23 as a liability to his team.  He finished the year as an OK QB.  He has elite physical ability as a runner, and was cool under pressure by season's end.  A new staff should see him make massive strides again, but he's got a very long way to go still.

5. Will Howard, Ohio St: The jump in surrounding case talent that Will Howard has going for him will give him a great season, and he's huge, so he offers a lot as a runner.  But he's been a four year starter IIRC, so I don't know how much there is to develop there.

6. Quinn Ewers, Texas: Texas is another stacked team, but I've never really seen it with Ewers, and he's been a starter for a while now at Texas, so I don't expect him to suddenly make a huge jump.  He lost a lot of weapons, and he'll be playing a tougher schedule now in the SEC, so I'm very bearish on him as a first rounder.

7. Grayson McCall, NC State: I've had a roller coaster of a time with Grayson McCall.  Loved him in 22, didn't like him in 23, now he's going to a team with an amazing receiver in Concepcion, and a good OL.  I'm still not sold on his arm strength, but I'm hoping to be back on the McCall hype train soon.

8. Brady Cook, Missouri: Why not?  Cook was a surprise last year, and Missori is still looking like the big dog that isn't Georgia in the SEC East with lots of returning talent.  I expect him to have a career season and be a contender for a high selection.

9. Cam Ward, Miami: I don't know how much better Ward is going to look at Miami, because it's one of the teams I'm least familiar with.  Ward has been one of those guys I watched and thought is a great college QB, but as an older prospect who's been starting for a long time, and largely in a pass friendly offensive scheme, I don't think there's a ton of room for growth.

10. Jaxson Dart, Ole Miss: Gimmicky offense, but a good team, so he won't plummet, and he has outstanding accuracy as a thrower in a high volume, so he could make it in the NFL as a dink and dunker.  Can run well too.  A little older, and probably not as big as you want.  Wanted to put Riley Leonard, but it seems like his injury might be still a thing, so he doesn't make the list.

I don't get the hate on Jalen Milroe.  The dude has never even throw 300 passes in his entire three year career at Alabama, last year only threw 284 passes where Sanders threw what 430...year before at HBCU threw 480...  Milroe has throw over 30 passes in a game once in his career, what Sanders does it weekly and averages almost 40 attempts per game last year...  So sample size is not there for Milroe to accurately compare the two, and Milroe to me is easily the better deep ball passer even with very limited opportunities.

The offenses are always slanted to best suit Sanders for obvious reasons.  Last year they had a very up and coming coach in Sean Lewis who was great at Kent State, then was fired as if he was the reason Sanders was getting sacked and now is the head coach at San Diego State and probably will do extremely well there.  Sanders has greatly improved but not sure he will be this lights out QB next year and probably would be lucky to be .500 as a team after going what 4-7 after being hyped as this amazing team after going 3-0 to start the year.  #1 QB, I do not see it.  As for Ewers sure one can guess he was good last year because of Mitchell but I expect him to be just fine this year and it is not like they have no talent offensively, they have a lot of talent and Bond will be great on that offense and very good TEs in Helm and Niblack and a stable of backs and a solid OL.  Ewers has elite level arm talent, not sure Sanders does honestly, especially in terms of different arm angle throws.  Sanders can scramble and make plays no question but Milroe is by far the better athlete and has a stronger arm as well.  If he continues the massive progression he made last year with a more offensive friendly HC now, he could easily be QB #1 or #2 come draft time.  And in terms of leadership and personality I would say Milroe has Sanders, Ewers and Beck beat in that regard as well.  

Oh, and Anthony Richardson was what the 4th overall pick throwing 327 passes his final year at Florida for only 2549 yards, 17 TDs and 9 INTs with 654 yards rushing and 9 TDs.  Milroe last year had 2834 yards passing yards on only 284 passes attempted with 23 TDs and 6 INTs and rushing for 531 yards and 12 TDs.  Yes Richardson is larger but could easily argue Milroe throws a better deep ball, is more elusive as a runner and is easily faster athletically.  So I do not see it as some crazy idea that Jalen Milroe could develop into a damn promising prospect and easily is one of the most talented QBs in the country coming into next season.

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2024 at 5:10 PM, Ozzy said:

I don't get the hate on Jalen Milroe.  The dude has never even throw 300 passes in his entire three year career at Alabama, last year only threw 284 passes where Sanders threw what 430...year before at HBCU threw 480...  Milroe has throw over 30 passes in a game once in his career, what Sanders does it weekly and averages almost 40 attempts per game last year...  So sample size is not there for Milroe to accurately compare the two, and Milroe to me is easily the better deep ball passer even with very limited opportunities.

The offenses are always slanted to best suit Sanders for obvious reasons.  Last year they had a very up and coming coach in Sean Lewis who was great at Kent State, then was fired as if he was the reason Sanders was getting sacked and now is the head coach at San Diego State and probably will do extremely well there.  Sanders has greatly improved but not sure he will be this lights out QB next year and probably would be lucky to be .500 as a team after going what 4-7 after being hyped as this amazing team after going 3-0 to start the year.  #1 QB, I do not see it.  As for Ewers sure one can guess he was good last year because of Mitchell but I expect him to be just fine this year and it is not like they have no talent offensively, they have a lot of talent and Bond will be great on that offense and very good TEs in Helm and Niblack and a stable of backs and a solid OL.  Ewers has elite level arm talent, not sure Sanders does honestly, especially in terms of different arm angle throws.  Sanders can scramble and make plays no question but Milroe is by far the better athlete and has a stronger arm as well.  If he continues the massive progression he made last year with a more offensive friendly HC now, he could easily be QB #1 or #2 come draft time.  And in terms of leadership and personality I would say Milroe has Sanders, Ewers and Beck beat in that regard as well.  

Oh, and Anthony Richardson was what the 4th overall pick throwing 327 passes his final year at Florida for only 2549 yards, 17 TDs and 9 INTs with 654 yards rushing and 9 TDs.  Milroe last year had 2834 yards passing yards on only 284 passes attempted with 23 TDs and 6 INTs and rushing for 531 yards and 12 TDs.  Yes Richardson is larger but could easily argue Milroe throws a better deep ball, is more elusive as a runner and is easily faster athletically.  So I do not see it as some crazy idea that Jalen Milroe could develop into a damn promising prospect and easily is one of the most talented QBs in the country coming into next season.

I align with everything you said. 

I think the upside for Milroe is much higher than Sanders. I honestly didn't see what is so impressive that scouts think he was the clear #2 pick behind Caleb this year. 

Quinn Ewers can immediately take off with the #1 pick status if he maximizes his potential and I think his potential is very high. He's shown the ability to take over a game but just not consistently.