2024 Training Camp Thread

11 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I agree with you on that.  They seemed to have finally figured that out but it sure took a while.  This is where AG sometimes makes some head-scratching moves with his players.  I think it is a similar situation with Ifeatu Melifonwu.  He was playing like one of the best safeties in the league in the last half of the year.  He started off training camp really well but his has supposedly fallen off.  Clearly, whatever was being done with Iffy worked really well last year.  Maybe they don't need to fix what is not broken.

Moving Branch to safety to make room for Amik in the slot and moving Iffy out of the starting S role next to Kerby. Moving all three players out of spots they excelled at last season. Head scratching. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Moving Branch to safety to make room for Amik in the slot and moving Iffy out of the starting S role next to Kerby. Moving all three players out of spots they excelled at last season. Head scratching. 

I can see why the moved Brian Branch.  However, Amik Roberston played better outside than in the slot and was close to a CB2 caliber DB outside.  Carlton Davis usually missed 3-4 games every year so he seemed like a good insurance policy.     Based on what the Lions have been doing, Brandon Joseph has been playing ahead of Iffy on the depth chart.  It could be the Lions just wanting to see what they have in Brandon Joseph. Iffy was making plays with his blitzing, creating TOs in the passing game and was playing better than Kerby Joseph last year in real NFL games.  Iffy's disruptive play at pretty much all three levels provided a huge lift for the Lions defense.  I am not sure why they wouldn't build from that rather than change his role.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I can see why the moved Brian Branch.  However, Amik Roberston played better outside than in the slot and was close to a CB2 caliber DB outside.  Carlton Davis usually missed 3-4 games every year so he seemed like a good insurance policy.     Based on what the Lions have been doing, Brandon Joseph has been playing ahead of Iffy on the depth chart.  It could be the Lions just wanting to see what they have in Brandon Joseph. Iffy was making plays with his blitzing, creating TOs in the passing game and was playing better than Kerby Joseph last year in real NFL games.  Iffy's disruptive play at pretty much all three levels provided a huge lift for the Lions defense.  I am not sure why they wouldn't build from that rather than change his role.

Agreed. 

• Like 1

I didn't get a lot from the final pre-season game:

- Consistency is still an issue with Jake Bates.  I know his first PK gig was with the UFL but he really needs to settle down.  The Lions would really be rolling the dice with him as their starting PK in Week 1.

- With James Houston, Mitchell Agude and Isaac Ukwu playing for the same spots, I am not sure who ends up on active roster and who ends up on the PS.  Agude is consistent and makes good plays at EDGE as well as SAM but is better on the right side at this point.  Isaac Ukwu knows how to make his presence felt when he is on the field and has made some splash plays but has had a more limited role.  James Houston, to me doesn't seem to have that much separation from Agude and Ukwu.  Maybe now that he is focused exclusively on being an EDGE he will do a better job of establishing himself as an impact player this year.  

- Giovanni Manu had an up and down game.  He got hit with a couple of false starts.  However, his hand placement was much better today and he made some pretty good blocks.  Given where he started, his progress has been pretty good.  We may not see a lot of him this year but he has showed enough to feel good about his future.  

- Brodric Martin seemed to have a not-great game.  He got hit with a defensive holding penalty and just seemed a bit out-of-sync.  Maybe he was just over-psyched about getting a start.  Still, he is in a position to contribute meaningful snaps as a NT.  His pad-level has improved a lot.  That is big progress from where he started last year.  

- Isaiah Williams has done enough to make the roster. 

- DPJ has not been an impact player and wasn't an impact player today

- Hendon Hooker, when he finds his rhythm, is solid.    His brain and his body still aren't synched up though.  We won't see it but I suspect that after the early bye he will be where he needs to be to really own the #2QB job.

Seeing people on twitter so emotionally outraged over Hooker and Bates early in the game reminds me how spoiled we are as fans right now. We have so few holes, people want to cut young guys over every miscue. 😂

I still think we should have played a few more guys in preseason. Didn’t get to see even backups at DL, DB, etc because we didn’t want to chance it. 

I like Isaiah Williams, backing up ARSB, but we still need a 3/4 WR opposite Jamo. DPJ disappointed big time. We need a big bodied receiver. wouldn’t mind picking off waivers if we don’t trade a late rd pick for one. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Seeing people on twitter so emotionally outraged over Hooker and Bates early in the game reminds me how spoiled we are as fans right now. We have so few holes, people want to cut young guys over every miscue. 😂

I still think we should have played a few more guys in preseason. Didn’t get to see even backups at DL, DB, etc because we didn’t want to chance it. 

I like Isaiah Williams, backing up ARSB, but we still need a 3/4 WR opposite Jamo. DPJ disappointed big time. We need a big bodied receiver. wouldn’t mind picking off waivers if we don’t trade a late rd pick for one. 

I agree with you on over-reacting to pre-season stuff but #2QB and PK do matter.  However, this is what pre-season is about.  If Hendon Hooker makes mistakes now, so what?  He can learn from them and move on.  Apparently, the Lions changed some of his mechanics so that adds a bit of uncertainty.  Like I said, by the time the Lions reach their early by, he should be fine. 

Jake Bates just needs to find work through his inexperience.  He didn't kick at all until he played in the UFL.  If he can just get locked from 48-yards or less he will be a huge asset for the Lions.  I know that the Lions are primed for another deep playoff run.  The idea of making that run with the current version of Jake Bates is concerning.  However, much like Hendon Hooker, he is making incremental progress.  Hopefully, by the time the Lions come off their bye, he will have settled in also.

Posted (edited)

Brodric Martin has some kind of injury after pre-season game #3.  I haven't really seen any specifics.  Iffy has some kind of Achilles injury.  From what I read, it isn't a tear but they are expecting him to be down for a while.

Update:  Brodric Martin has a hyperextended knee.  Worst case seems to be for him to miss Week 1 and Week 2.  Luckily, he still has some time to recover before the regular season.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Miblue said:

Williams will be KR#1

our X isn’t currently on the team 

It was surprising and disappointing the see DPJ not grab that job.  To be clear, we are talking about a WR3 who could fill in as WR to due to injuries.  Given the number of high-quality WRs that have been taken in the last to drafts it is possible a decent WR becomes available.  One article mentioned Giants WR Darius Slayton.  He seems like a perfect fit for what we need in Detroit.